I need a new challenge

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by chansta, Jun 14, 2018.

1. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Watch me say this and not catch a trout for the next 2 weeks. However! Since getting such great advice from you all on this forum, I've had something on my stringer at the local trout stream every single day I've been there. Just cast a spinner by a laydown and I'll at least go home with 3.

So this got me thinking. I need to either
    A) Find an affordable fly rod
    B) Figure out a good spot to catch bass from the bank

I've currently got 4 lb test on both reels, but I could change one to 6. Plenty of stuff in the tackle box for largies and smallies.

With that being said, if I were to look into a fly rod, can a good one be had for a decent price? I'm in the middle of moving and this week has been a wallet stretcher.

central joe likes this.
  2. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    try some yard sales ???

chansta and central joe like this.
  3. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic Hobbyist Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What’s you budget/what do you consider a “good price”? There are tons of budget set ups nowadays that are far and away better than what entry level outfits used to be. With an idea of your budget we can give specific recommendations.

Mitch Ray likes this.
  4. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My first fly rod and reel came as one of those cheapo combos sold at a buddies bait store. As I recall it was about $30. Still have the rod, I just upgraded the reel to one in the $40 range. First brown I caught on it was 8 lbs.(dumb luck). Pulled in just about everything with that little combo, little brookies, 6-7 lb rainbows, myriad of smallies and a nice 36" pike once. Good lines, flies and presentation is the key...at least in my case. YMMV
    dave

5. chansta

Blog Posts:
    I can spend maybe 100

6. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
  7. chansta

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm. Maybe. I’m starting to shy away from online purchases though

8. MT_Fin

Blog Posts:
    Local fly shops should be able to hook you up, or regular sporting goods stores.

9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    How about option C.

Instead of going to the same place and catching planted trout, how about you pull out a map or contact your local DNR office and see if you can find water that holds some wild fish...you might find they act a little different than their hatchery raised, liver pellet eating brethren....and the task of getting there to fish them might be half of the fun.

Mitch Ray and MT_Fin like this.
  10. scottmm2012

scottmm2012 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First question I would ask, are you just learning to fly fish? Or do you already have experience?

If you're a newbie to fly fishing, its not as easy as grabbing a spinner rod, throw on a mepps and hit the stream. It takes practice, finesse, and patience. So, if this is the case, I would go as cheap as you can. I would hate for you to spend a lot and learn you just don't like it.

Where I fish, its absolutely difficult to fly fish in, the streams are rarely 10 feet across and are generally covered on both banks with beech brush, willow, or young hemlock. I was like you and wanted to learn, but never took it out to the streams I love to fish. A lake however is a different story.

Mitch Ray and Primordial like this.
  11. Flyfisher05221970

Flyfisher05221970 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a fiberglass eagle claw featherlite 3/4wt rod, or is encounter reel, TFO 3wt line that I could part with for $60. I plan on heading out your way tomorrow if you want to take a look at it. I could also pair the same reel and line with a Redington path 3wt rod for $100. I will have oth of them with me in the morning, heading to Little Stoney Creek. If interested send me a PM and I will give you my phone number. I just have t9 be home by 5pm to go to dinner with the in laws.

12. chansta

Blog Posts:
    Sure enough, I went out to a local pond and hooked into a lunker largemouth. Crappy Hookset equals he got away, but it’s good to know I can catch em

Mitch Ray likes this.