I need a truck gun.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Birdman, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I spend 4-5 days a week servicing / repairing diesel generators at cell tower sites. Most of these sights are up on mountains, and some are extremely remote.
    Because of this, I'm in need of a truck gun. I'm thinking either a takedown shotgun or a takedown .22. A takedown is a necessity, for its discretion.
    The gun wont be left in the truck. As all of my gear is brought into my hotel room at night. A small rectangle takedown case will just blend in with my bags and tool boxes.
    I have a takedown 20 guage singleshot, so that would be the cheapest route for me to go. Just need a case for it.
    The nice thing about the scattergun is its versatility. Birds, small game, big game, it will do it all. The downside is ammo is bulky, and it's quite loud, which might draw unwanted attention. I dont plan on doing anything illegal, but because I am in a numbered work vehicle, I'd hate for some anti-gun or anti-hunter, to call in and raise stink over something I'm doing. Maybe I'm paranoid, and over thinking that...
    The other thing I have to consider is, I'm by myself. No dog, no buddies, and I'm usually on a schedule. So that limits my hunting time, and efficiency. Meaning, I've got no dog to retrieve downed birds that were shot off wing, and I dont have the time to butcher big game, or even a place to put it haha.
    So that pretty much just leaves small game and grouse, which are both legal to take with a .22, and easy to retrieve. The .22 is also considerably quieter than a 20 guage shotgun, and even more so shooting subsonics.
    It's a tough decision.

If you were in my shoes, what long gun would you choose? Shotgun or .22, and what model?

ETA: This is not going to be used as a defensive weapon. Will only be deployed for hunting, when I get a chance.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    akbound, slysir, Bronco68 and 6 others like this.
  2. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    870 12 gauge would be my choice. Maybe with folding stock?

3. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Roughian #5 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ruger 10/22 TD.

4. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    What other firearms do you have with you ?

5. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    man id be aweful tempted to mod my 20 ga with some sights and but a 9" 22lr rifled insert win win in my book. maintain big bore with the small game option

6. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Seems to me like you answered your own question. A .22 fits all your criteria of small, quiet, non bulky ammo, etc. A .20 gauge is none of those.

Bronco68, fixits, yooper71 and 3 others like this.
  7. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    I'll always have a ccw on me. That changes week to week depending on where I'm working. Its either a .357 wheel gun or the NAA Pug in .22 mag.

That's not a bad idea. I haven't played with the longer inserts. If the consistency/accuracy is there, that would be a good way to go.

I'm definitely leaning towards the 22, but the versatility of the scattergun is hard to ignore.
    I've also thought about a PCP SBR, but then I have to pack a tank, or pump around. Seems like a lot of work, and a lot of extra gear.

central joe, Paulyseggs and scottman like this.
  8. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    I carried a old 1909 model H&R 12g take down for years. Then the lil bastard folding 22 mag got toted up and down the eastern seaboard.

Last month I bought (still dont have) a Ruger PC carbine in 40.

Thats my choice for a truck gun now. Short light compact and fits in a Harbor Freight rolling airline case perfectly! With room for more like ammo extra magazines and a sidearm if I can.

I liked the versatility of the H&R and with its barrel shortened to 19” it was light and easy to carry. Its still my camping gun. Rode nearly 100K in my Jeep Wrangler and Polaris Sportsman and now Polaris RZR.

I have a Charco floating 22 and a Ruger TD 10/22 and a Marlin Papoose and like the lil bastard better for size and weight. I bought a Savage 24C the compact camper model but its too nice and valuable. Id like to find a beater at a beater price and that might be even better. 22 magnum over a shotgun.

Good luck
    CW

9. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would look into a little badger and replace the hinge screw with a hinge pin. You could also put on a cheap suppressor easily and have an absolutely quiet gun. Or a double badger

Birdman, central joe and Paulyseggs like this.
  10. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    if you have the 22 naa on you is the 357 always in the truck too ?

central joe likes this.
  11. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I bought a Cricket 22LR rifle and the screw could be replaced with a thumb screw. Also you might consider an AR 10.5" pistol with a brace for a little more power. Easy to separate the upper from the lower for a small package. joe

12. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love Takedowns! I drive a Honda Fit so space is a premium.

I have the following
    Winchester Model 12 12ga. 20in barrel
    Ruger 10/22 TD in a MagPul Backpacker stock
    Marlin 70P Papoose
    Chiappa Little Badger 22lr

I love them all and they all have a purpose and place.

The Model 12 has seen the most miles, I kept it in my trunk 24/7 for nearly 8 years. Ammo is big & bulky.

10/22 TD has a suppressor. With the Backpacker stock I have 2mags and 70rds on board 24/7.

Marlin 70P was my everyday TD til I got the 10/22. I've had it the longest. It doesn't see much use anymore but I keep it for trips to NYS.

Chiappa LB is the lightest, smallest and most accurate. Sits flat and fits in my pack nicely. Usually where you'd put a water bladder.

All will fit in a backpack or a dresser drawer. When I travel I usually keep one in my rolling duffle. Go in and out and nobody knows anything.

For a long time I kept my Model 12 in a old folded pair of jeans. Each half is about 20in long. I put 1 half in each leg and folded the pants over.
    Buttcuff & shotcard ammo holders loaded up. Xtra shotcard in there too. 19rds ready to go.

The Papoose has a modded buttcuff to hold the mags. 4 on the stock one in the gun.

And the Chiappa LB I use the factory buttstock ammo holder with a ranger band over it to keep it secure. 10rds.

13. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  14. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    central joe and PAcanis like this.
  15. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Yup. I have one.
    Pretty neat gun. But I'd label it a survival gun, or a something to take along gun. Just to have something that shoots. It'd be good for a backpacker.
    It wouldn't be my choice as a recreational gun, which it sounds like the OP is looking for.
    He might be better off with a used Savage 24 or one of the new 42's, which is more of a sporting gun with a conventional trigger.

central joe, Birdman and Paulyseggs like this.
  16. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    The 42 I wanna like so bad. But that stupid no choke barrel. WTF were they thinking!
    Hows it shoot btw?

Trigger pull?

central joe, Birdman and PAcanis like this.
  17. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    No choke? :eek:
    I had no idea.
    I always assumed it was either a full or modified. Like a squirrel gun or turkey gun.

central joe, Birdman and Paulyseggs like this.
  18. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Nope. Completely open.

central joe and PAcanis like this.
  19. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Well that blows my mind.
    What a ridiculous combination gun. Cylinder bore's are for SD weapons.

central joe and Paulyseggs like this.
  20. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    No, it gets left at home if I'm working assignments I cant carry it. It's too valuable to me to leave it in the truck.

central joe, scottman and Paulyseggs like this.
  21. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    xRangerx and central joe like this.
  22. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    FB2210EA-7979-429B-A29E-06C8A3DD168D.jpeg The Savage M42 is pretty awful. I HIGHLY recommend thoroughly handling one before laying down any cash. Its a great and proven idea poorly presented.

A old 24 is much better. (Yet still has issues with regulation) Guys say that the Bakal is better. I have handled but never shot one.

The lil badger is great for many reasons. The least of which is not the cost or weight or compactness. It come threaded and makes a dandy suppressor host!!

Mine is the magnum and with subsonic ammo from Winchester its nearly silent and woodchucks dont like it at all! :18:

CW

colter, 1911srule, slysir and 4 others like this.
  23. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What about a .410 lever action Henry ? Or a combination over under shotgun/ 22 ?

central joe likes this.
  24. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    The lever isnt a takedown, as much as I love a lever gun.
    I'm open to combo guns. However they bring a hefty price tag for a decent one that's regulated well.

central joe likes this.
  25. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    my long gun choices:
    marlin papoose 22lr.
    rossi youth single shot shotgun/rifle combo in your choice of a two barrel set in 20 or 410 and 22lr or 22wmr.

if a handgun will meet your needs:
    ruger single six 22lr/wmr with 6.5” barrel. my 5.5” is an absolute tackdriver in 22wmr, for hunting use a 6.5” can only be better.

if noise is a concern the rossi and ruger will happily digest 22short and 22lr quiet ammo. the rossi shotgun barrel offers an effective defense choice from 20ga slugs (not much fun) to 410 handgun protection loads (easier on the shoulder). with its automatic ejection of spent rounds and a buttsleeve shell holder a rossi single shot shotgun can be run surprisingly very fast.

in my experience, another down vote for savage m42 410/22, no autoeject of spent rounds makes reloads slow. otherwise nothing terribly wrong with it but not worth it compared to my other choices.

if i were in o.p.’s shoes i might ccw his naa pug 22wmr, and keep in a secured gym bag both the ruger single six and rossi 410/22lr, with 50-100 rounds each of 22wmr/lr/short, and 25 rounds each of federal 410 handgun specific buck and birdshot. his 357 would come along when in urban or rural, feral apex predator turf.

Birdman and central joe like this.
  26. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Cost or sentimental reasons ?

central joe likes this.
  27. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a job for the Ruger PC Carbine in any flavor. Ruger mags, glock mags, 9mm or .40, fits in 10/22 takedown case.

Birdman, Ptpalpha, marbleman and 2 others like this.
  28. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For what you are describing I can't think of a better option than the Ruger takedown 10/22 with a Magpul backpacker stock.

Birdman, marbleman and central joe like this.
  29. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    Really eyeballing the Papoose. I'm really bummed they dont offr it in a wood stock anymore. Stainles and wood would be a beaut!
    I've thought about a single six or a mkiv. It's just hard to argue the efficacy of a long gun. A handgun is a nice and tidy package though!

Both.

Paulyseggs and central joe like this.
  30. MontanaMarine

MontanaMarine Scout

Blog Posts:
    ExAF1N1, central joe and Birdman like this.
  31. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I missed the take down bit.
    A ruger 10/22 takedown model would be pretty much perfect.
    Could get a single shot Henry shotgun and just break it down into action and barrel.

central joe and Birdman like this.
  32. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am still extremely pleased with my recent move to a CMR-30 as a truck gun. It is equipped with a solar red dot and a side-flip 3x magnifier, but is otherwise stock.

I do still also carry a .308 during certain times of the year, but the rimfires have always been the workhorses for me.

Shotguns are nice in certain situations, but it seems to me that when tooling around in a truck most of the time the shots you need to take are beyond the reach of a shotgun.

The advantage of the CMR-30 over a takedown is that it is much faster to deploy. I keep a magazine loaded, but the chamber empty and the stock collapsed. To deploy it is to simply pull on the stock and cycle the action, rather than screwing around trying to put a takedown back together. Additionally, with the 30 round magazine, it isn't really necessary to have a box of ammo jostling around on the dash or in the glove box. The magazine pretty much just holds as much as you might need for 3 or 4 days of on/off hunting, and it's stored away behind the seat, with the gun, out of the sun.

I plan to SBR it at some point, which will make it even handier. Especially when coupled with the subsonic ammo and a suppressor (though the subsonics won't cycle the action).

33. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A guitar case is discrete for whatever you choose.
    [​IMG]

34. Bronco68

Bronco68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My 2 cents, for what it’s worth, would be a take down 22 pump. I’d stick with something used like a Savage 22B, or possibly an older Remington, or Winchester 61 (the last is kinda pricey, but sometimes a beater can be had for a reasonable price). The older rifles in this category cycle everything, and magazine capacity is upwards of 15 rounds or so. Stay away from the Rossi/Taurus model Winchester clones, as they won’t cycle Colbri, shorts, or CB longs. They’re only reliable with long rifle cartridges. Hope you find something.:D

35. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey @Gruxxx , now that's a well "camouflaged" rifle case! ;)

36. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For a good time, call AK-47

Find yourself a good used M60 spare barrel bag. Then get a folding stock AK. Lots of variants available, pick one.

Then you have this setup. (Pic from the net)

[​IMG]

(A folding stock 10-22 fits nicely also)

1911srule, drobs, Paulyseggs and 3 others like this.
  37. Coyotesilencer

Coyotesilencer Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 10/22 takedown is a good choice.

Rossi Trifecta would be another, .22lr, shotgun and centerfire all in one takedown case.

Ruger PC Carbine might be a little much for squirrels and grouse but otherwise pretty good.

AR's takedown pretty easy and you could use a rimfire conversion bolt or upper.

central joe and NevadaBlue like this.
  38. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ruger Charger set up like this to use the sling as part of the bracing holding it . it is nearly as stable as a stocked rifle
    [​IMG]

Ptpalpha, central joe, Huey and 4 others like this.
  39. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg Or like this with a brace...2" steel gongs at 100 yds are a cinch...
    (Charger Takedown, threaded barrel. Copper Custom adaptor and any pistol brace and pistol tube.)
    ezra

40. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine for the last few years is a Ruger 10/22 stainless Takedown with a BX trigger and Tech sights. I'm thinking of getting a single shot 12 or 20 gauge, maybe a used $100 gun at a gun show. I would have two truck guns then. These two guns would cover about every impromptu hunting situation except maybe big game for me.

41. plumberoy

plumberoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I look at the brace . I didn't want the extra bulk

42. Birdman

Blog Posts:
    I was just looking at a charger that a guy stuck into a cut down rifle stock, making a 10/22 Mares leg.

central joe likes this.
  43. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are interested in a shotgun pick up a used 12 ga. or 20 ga. side by side or over/under. They break down into three pieces; barrels, forearm and action/buttstock. They make soft-sided cases to store the broke down the shotgun. You should be able to find a used Savage/Fox, SKB, CZ or Stoeger fairly cheap.

Ptpalpha and central joe like this.
  44. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That 357 Henry is reasonably quiet with 38 specials, lot more gun than a .22, not sure if it legal for small game in your location. If you go the 20 guage route, use subsonic shells. The boom doesn't carry as far as a supersonic crack. I don't think the sound of a single shotshell will draw anti hunters unless you are near a busy recreational area. But this is NC, not the left coast...

45. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Naa black widow should work for impromptu hunting. Otherwise the chiappa little badger should work perfectly.

Birdman, central joe and Cwlongshot like this.
  46. Mikem

Mikem Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Marlin Papoose, old or new, is ideal, add a basic scope, all fits in a small case. The Henry survival rifles are compact, functional, ok accuracy and very compact. The new Savage 42 in 410 and 22LR are good, shotshell and 22 options, not a takedown.

Wasp and central joe like this.
  47. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The Copper custom conversion can be shouldered much better than a Mares leg. But still, a good idea to make a compact .22 firearm...

Regards,

ezra

48. Black Raven

Black Raven Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since discretion, takedown, and relatively low noise report are your parameters, I recommend a takedown .22 LR (the best you can afford) due to the versatility of the cartridge. That will exceed any shotgun or centerfire rifle in meeting your stated expectations.

In addition to the Ruger 10/22 TD, I like this one, designed by Eugene Stoner, designer of the M16:

AR7rifle.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite_AR-7

These have been made by a several companies over the years. Henry is making a version now. I don't know anything about the Henry, but I see that Hickok 45 has a review on it.

49. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:

For bird and small game hunting the 20 ga that you already gave is perfect!

I'd suggest this case,
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010CEWDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    If your barrel is longer than 22" cut it to fit in the case, or get the 27" case to fit the more common 26" barrel shotgun,
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SNPJE1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of these cases, one for a shotgun and another for my Backpacker 10/22 take-down. Super discrete!

I like my 10/22 take-down but it's not anywhere near as good of a hunting gun as my 20 ga. I consider the 22 more of a survival gun, and the 20 ga a hunting gun!

Also, here's a folding 20 ga that might be worth a look, and it's inexpensive,
    https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=ATIG20NMD26&zipcode=93013

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Paulyseggs and Birdman like this.
  50. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    @CaliforniaCanuck Good show on those cases! :dblthumb:

I bought a takedown case from Skinner awhile back for my 12. It was expensive for what it is. I don't think I'd buy another.

I'm tossed on 22 vs 20ga. I use both. I love both.

ezra45 and Birdman like this.