I went on a short scouting trip today, and found this...

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by John from Alberta, Aug 13, 2019.

1. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I headed out for a quick lunchtime scouting trip to an area I had found on Google maps that seemed to have easy access to a river I've been wanting to get to. I found the cut line after some bushwhacking and followed it all the way to the river, about a half mile easy trek. Almost to the river some blue caught my eye. It was obviously a tarp. Being the cautious person I am, I circled around the area to get a few more views before closing in. As I got closer I could see that the place was clearly abandoned, or at the very least had not been visited at all this year. Inside there was a wood stove, (kerosene?) lantern, small folding camp chair, and a saw. It seems that someone had planned on coming back, but definitely hasn't been there since sometime before last winter. At this point, the place is essentially just garbage sitting in the woods in my mind, so I didn't feel bad taking the lantern (whoever built the place has had 4 months of decent weather to get back there and clean it up if they wanted to).

Unfortunately finding this sort of ruins my plans to spend more time in the area, as I like to be as far away from the possibility of interacting with other humans as I can when I'm in the bush, but I did get a lantern out of it!

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6229.JPG

As a bonus, I also came across this skull, but it was in pretty rough shape, so I wasn't interested in taking it home.

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

2. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pretty neat find. Don't think I'd have disturbed anything.

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That’s a head scratcher for sure.
    Looks like some good gear to be abandoned like that.
    Perhaps alert the authorities...?

A few years ago my buddy and I were cutting in a new trail for ATV’s at his families property for hunting.
    Found a tent (obviously had been there for a couple of seasons).
    We weren’t sure if we were going to find a body inside but there was sleeping gear inside that was chewed up by small animals.
    We just cleaned it all up since it was on private property...

4. Jeffro

Jeffro Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think I would have squatted on the place. For the cost of a few HF tarps and a little sweat equity, maybe a gallon of coal oil you could have a fishing lodge and you may even find a new friend. Surely he could not run you off for squatting when he himself is a squatter and he shouldn't be mad at you for not plundering his cache. Heck he might turn out to be a good cook and a fishing companion but if he doesn't return you have lost nothing.

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Guess I'd have to know more (state land, private property, whatever) but I'd likely have left it alone.

6. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I would not have disturbed anything.

7. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Abandoned on (public?) property? IMO, free gear. Looks like someone worked quite a bit on that.

8. John from Alberta

Blog Posts:
    Haha, while I appreciate everyone's input on what they would or would not have done, I'm 100% happy with what I did.

The shelter is on easily accessible crown land (directly off of a cutline/old ATV trail), built illegally, was falling apart, and clearly hasn't been in use at all this summer. If I had come across a conservation officer on my way out of the area I would have let him know, but I'm not super concerned about it at this point. I might head back later in the season with a friend and see if its condition has changed, but I won't think about it too much again now.

MrFixIt, backlasher, Andy 315 and 4 others like this.
  9. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    People talk all the time about worrying about someone stumbling onto their campsite and stealing their gear. I wouldn't have taken anything.
    If it was on private property then clean it up, if not then report it.

Maybe he and a friend were bushcrafting for the week, idk.

Taking the shelter down is one thing, but taking someone's gear is another. JMO

10. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a hunting camp.

11. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What kind of goober leaves that much stuff out on public land? At least stash your stuff where it's hard to find. But one shouldn't be leaving crap like this all over public land.

12. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd would have left it alone. In my mind the make shift shelter wasn't bothering anything. I don't take things that aren't mine.

But to each their own.

13. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Correct me if I am wrong; aren't all lands technically private property or Crown Lands in Canada?

MrFixIt and John from Alberta like this.
  14. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I haven't found anything like that in years. It's kinda cool in a way to find something, but again, not so cool in another way.

I also see no problem with taking the lantern. Even from the pics it is obvious that it hasn't been being used lately. Who knows what the heck happened. Maybe whoever made it moved away, or died, or maybe it was just used as a temporary housing for someone visiting the area. It does look like someone did a lot of work on it though.

Are you still going to use that route to the river? I guess I wouldn't give up on it because of your find.

Looks like it was a nice outing. :)

15. John from Alberta

Blog Posts:
    I'm guessing some of these opinions and thoughts come down to a difference in how we see public lands, and perhaps the local culture around them. The shelter is clearly abandoned and in disrepair. At this point everything in it is considered garbage by the province (and the people who have left it there would be charged with littering if they were caught), I have no qualms about cleaning it up as a public service. I will likely go back later in the fall with some help to clean up the rest if it's still there. Rusty metal and disintegrating plastic have no place in public forests.

Knowing the area, and seeing the shelter first hand, my honest assessment is that a couple of buddies built it last year as a "permanent" bushcraft base and had some good times in the woods. They probably intended to use it over the winter (hence the stove), but never ended up doing so and have since abandoned it to the elements. There was nothing of value left in it, and it's too close to the city (and the road) to be a hunting shelter (also, it would be illegal).

Yeah, after some thought, It's still the best way down to the river, and I can cross to the other side fairly easily to explore over there where there is likely less chance of people.

Thanks for everyone's comments. It's always interesting to see differing views on how everyone would approach certain situations. :D

Gonna head out again today to do some more exploring!

Andy 315, Kelly W, MrFixIt and 4 others like this.
  16. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Already stated, and I know you aren't liking hearing it, but I would have let it be. That lantern looks like it was in pretty good condition, and that wood pile is fresh looking, doesn't look like it sat through the winter, even under tarps.

I don't mess with anything I find on public land unless I know it's just trash.

I have one hunting spot on public land that every Summer I have to go in and re-make my natural brush blinds because some d^%$ HE#@ kicks them over. I follow the laws and nothing is attached to trees, and they are not permanent. They are just already fallen logs and brush I collect and pile up. I will not go into the words ( hoping that's as far as it goes ) that will take place if I ever catch that sumb&^%$!

John from Alberta and buckfynn like this.
  17. John from Alberta

Blog Posts:
    Haha, has nothing to do with liking or not liking...everyone is entitled to an opinion...I don't have an issues with people giving theirs. I do find the variations of opinions interesting. :)

It reminds of a thread that was up a while ago about camping/travelling through private land. I forget which state it was, but a couple of people were staunchly FOR people being able to camp or travel through private land, because in their state there is not much public land, so there are actually laws that require you to allow free travel through your property (someone who knows what I'm talking about can chime in and correct me if they want). The flip side of that was those of us from areas with plenty of public land that couldn't imagine a law telling us we HAD to allow strangers to travel through our properties if they wanted to. Very different opinions on that topic depending on where people were from.

buckfynn and Andy 315 like this.
  18. LMT66

LMT66 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool find but I'd have left it alone and reported it before helping yourself to anything. I reported a similar shelter where I thought it shouldn't be. Turns out it was a hunter hired by the county to cull deer. He had full permission to build his shanty and leave it up until the following fall. It was also used in summer by the person doing research on how many deer to cull. Glad I didn't dismantle it before reporting it.

Ive also found a few shelters that were strewn with beer bottles and ciggie butts. The one you found looks too clean to be in that category.

buckfynn likes this.