If the price is too good to be true, Velvicut Saddle axe for $69???

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by CaliforniaCanuck, May 17, 2019 at 1:51 AM.

1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    https://www.kmkai.com/council-tool-velvicut-premium-saddle-a-e-b49wz99

When you search for the Velvicut Saddle axe on google this is the first deal that pops up, $69.99, however, when you search for the axe on their website you get [​IMG] There is no product that matches the search criteria.

Unfortunately for me I fell for it and only figured it out tonight. Credit card, cancelled!

Don't fall for it like I did!

2. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wait, you're saying you cancelled your credit card because a website's internal search engine didn't find the product page you were able to navigate to manually? You mean you cancelled the charge or the entire credit card number, fearing it was stolen as a result of the transaction?

If so, I think you may have overreacted a bit.

The website is poorly organized and doesn't navigate well. It's the sign of a small-time operation, at least, and if that's enough for you to not trust them to do business with, fair enough. But the fact by itself that their search bar doesn't turn up that product page does not mean this is a scam. It's not a spoofed or redirected page.

And then for the payment process, it makes you go through paypal, not input your card directly. When it redirects you to paypal, your browser's security confirms it is legitimately paypal and not a spoofed site. When you pay by paypal, the vendor never sees your credit card number, they only get a payment from paypal. And then purchases made with paypal have six month buyer protection. It's a very safe method as long as you doublecheck that it sent you to the real paypal site.

I'm not saying you can trust these guys 100% to be legit - I've never done business with them so I don't know, perhaps they'll never ship or perhaps they deal in counterfeits. But, from what you see on the website alone, there is nothing to indicate there's a scam going on here or that your credit card number was compromised. On the contrary, being a legit paypal transaction, there's pretty much no real risk here.

BradGad, freebirdfb, jdk and 2 others like this.
  3. jdk

jdk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agreed Kronin. The site is poorly done with non-hot links and such as well, but the return section states the address is in AZ and gives a ladies name. She appears to be real. May be shady, but who knows. PayPal is safe.

freebirdfb and kronin323 like this.
  4. badglide9705

badglide9705 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well, I agree with the two of you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! So I just ordered one, lets see what happens.

BradGad, freebirdfb and kronin323 like this.
  5. anno lynke

anno lynke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    please give us a review when you get it

6. badglide9705

Blog Posts:
    I just got my email from Paypal confirming my order. Here's my first red flag!

You sent a payment of $74.94 USD to 刘 洪海

CaliforniaCanuck may be right!

7. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Was shipping added maybe?

freebirdfb likes this.
  8. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    It does seem odd that a company that seeks to specialize in towels is selling axes though

CaliforniaCanuck and freebirdfb like this.
  9. badglide9705

Blog Posts:
    Yes, 4.95 was added for shipping. I agree that their inventory is a bit strange also. But what I`m really curious about is for a company with all their contact info being in Arizona, the payment went to China? Well I think its China, I cant really read that!

freebirdfb likes this.
  10. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting, I had a similar situation ordering a Gransfors Wildlife hatchet on Kortee.com, google search for "gransfors mini hatchet" turned up the mentioned axe for 60 bucks. I ordered it and didn't think much of it till this morning after reading this post. I did a search on the site and same thing happened. I messaged store from their site and also made an inquiry to Paypal just in case. Will let you all know what happens. After the recent fake Morakniv incident of 2019 you'd think I would have learned....

11. DgitlRedBeard

DgitlRedBeard Scout

Blog Posts:
    I saw this one too guys. I used the contact form to send - Sandra Zupetz a message regarding the axes available on her website. This was yesterday. I have not heard back from her yet. I agree with those above that are suspicious of this site. I did a little digging and found that the URL has only been in use for three weeks but that so far it has no negative feedback regarding scams. I also think it is too good of a deal to be true. I will let everyone know if I hear back from Sandra via the contact form.

12. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My Chinese is a bit rusty, but I think you just ordered 122 kilos of egg foo young.

Just kidding. I didn’t click that link above. I just took a IT safety training course. :$75 is low risk compared to your email address going out on a potentially malicious site.

13. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I called MasterCard to ask if the charge went thru and they immediately said they’re issuing me a new card.

I’d still love to have one of those saddle axes!

freebirdfb likes this.
  14. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I emailed asking for tracking info and “Pamela” replied saying it will ship on Sunday with some Chinese letters mixed in the message. I think it said 2-3 days shipping.

I replied asking how come the search results in the warning ⚠️ with product not found.

No reply as of yet but I will be fun to see if she does reply!

SmilinJoe and freebirdfb like this.
  15. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Again, if you paid through paypal, they never saw your card number. Even if these guys are a total scam there was no need for a new card.

Winterhorse likes this.
  16. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I, too, put my money where my mouth is and bought one, did it before my original response to this thread (hence how I knew the process). I saw when I was in paypal that the recipient has a Chinese name.

But, though I may prefer to support American business, I don't automatically assume Chinese = scam. Just another datum to note.

My biggest question is authenticity i.e. not a counterfeit. Only time will tell on that one. But, a number of us just landed authentic Velvicut Hudson Bay and Bad Boy axes for sub-$100 prices from Guideboat. Different circumstances but it shows the deals do really exist sometimes. And it gives me, at least, authentic product / packaging to compare this one too, if anything's delivered... ;)

Winterhorse, AdamD1776 and SmilinJoe like this.
  17. badglide9705

Blog Posts:
    Exactly! I also bought an axe and a pack from guideboat. Had them in three days, no problems.

18. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Do you only have one email address? Best practice is to create a separate, dedicated email address for online purchases. Insulates your private address from spam and easy to drop/change if it does get too spammy. And it doesn't cost anything.

Winterhorse and badglide9705 like this.
  19. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    The guideboat order, this was real...

upload_2019-5-17_10-35-23.png

20190515_212243.jpg

Winterhorse, Madwell, Djektd and 2 others like this.
  20. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    At least they have a functioning website and list products other than only towels.

If this saddle axe deal is real I’ll be surprised but I’m expecting it’s a credit card scam.

21. Dillon Finan

Dillon Finan Scout

Blog Posts:
    kronin323 likes this.
  22. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Doesn’t matter how many email addresses I have. I would not hang it out there with any of them.

I certainly would not punch in my CC number, expiration date and three digit number on a suspicious site. And your billing address!

23. SmilinJoe

Blog Posts:
    Well, got a notification that my Wildlife hatchet shipped. We shall see what shows up, fingers crossed.

kronin323 likes this.
  24. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    If you ever see a deal like that for a SFA, please give me the head's up... ;)

SmilinJoe likes this.
  25. Calicoast

Calicoast Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't pass this deal up.
    Was able to purchase the Bad Boy Axe for $78.00 from guideboat.
    On it's way west now. :) :42:

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    jdk and kronin323 like this.
  26. SmilinJoe

Blog Posts:
    @kronin323 The best deal for a SFA I ever found was through Lamnia.com Currently I see they are out of stock but the price is 101 dollars. I got mine for 89.00 years ago but traded it. If you put in your emaill addy they will notify you when in stock.

kronin323 likes this.
  27. tomme boy

tomme boy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I get this all the time buying stuff on ebay. Lately it seems most of the things I buy the $ goes to China. But the products all have shipped from a US address. They are drop shipping it. One thing I noticed on Ebay was to look at the shipping part under the price. It will show the shipping in a Yellow color like all the adds from the China stuff. If it shows like this then I get the China characters in my Paypal on who I sent the $ to. And it is always a NJ or CA shipping.

badglide9705 and kronin323 like this.
  28. Djektd

Djektd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Calicoast, CaptCrunch and kronin323 like this.
  29. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow velvicut hb for the standard model price sweet score.

30. jdk

jdk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not to rub it in, but my second order on the Guideboat deal scored a BB for $36 and the HB for $30 after discounts, plus $9 to ship both. It was crazy!

kronin323 likes this.
  31. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Indeed, there was a 30% off code that didn't work on my order but briefly worked a few days later...

Normally it could be one of those things where a good deal is spoiled by finding an even better deal shortly after purchase, but in this case the original good deal was such a bargain, the later better deal doesn't hurt at all...

Congrats on your score.

Kona9 and jdk like this.
  32. jdk

jdk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yea, that site was not bipolar, it was schizophrenic! I have two axes, but I've never been INTO axes. My Estwing gets abused to an insane degree. This deal got me really interested in axes and now I can't wait to learn how to use them properly!

This Saddle Axe is really cool, but I wonder how it feels with a two pound head on a handle 3" shorter than the Hudson Bay ? Again, I'm new to axes, but I wonder if cutting some head weight would be better. It looks awesome though!

AdamD1776 and kronin323 like this.