If you could only own 4 axes...

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Ptpalpha, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know, I know. Humor me.
    Here are the parameters:
    1. Your choices don't have to be axes you currently own, however they must be axes you could reasonably expect to get, and USE.
    2. This is not an End of Days scenario, your current lifestyle should guide your choices.
    3. Please include details on head weight and handle length, and any additional details you care to include.
    4. "Why" isn't necessary; no one's asking you to defend your choices, however I'd love to hear your reasons if you'd like to offer them.

Thanks for your participation. I'm looking to minimize my small collection with an eye towards covering as many bases as possible with the best quality I can afford. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    -Paul

ArmyMacE, Guillaume Longval and Broke like this.
  2. redneckron

redneckron Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Council-Pulaski "multi use", Saddle Axe "Two blades instead of one", and american felling axe "self explanatory". Gransfors Bruks-Ray Mears axe "probably one of the best back packs axes on the market".

3. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Camp Axe

[​IMG]Camp Axe Re-handle 3 by MJGEGB, on Flickr

A 1.25 lbs TrueTemper Woodslasher head on a custom 25" handle shaped to my liking. I put this axe to work this past weekend bucking up dead falls at camp. It never ceases to amaze me how big of a difference a proper handle makes. It was a pleasure to use this past weekend. This axe is set up to be light at 2 lbs, relatively compact, and function best for light bucking, limbing, and splitting as you would at camp.

My Mini Hatchet

[​IMG]Mini Hatchet fire by MJGEGB, on Flickr

A 8oz Vaughan SubZero Sportsman's Axe head on a 12" custom shaped handle. The head has been modified fairly heavily and has a very thin edge. The total weight is 12 oz makes for a hatchet light enough to come along on just about any trip. It can be tossed in pocket and carried around camp and used to quickly process dead falls or dead stands within reason. It's a surprisingly effective little chopper and splitting tool.

My Boys Axe

[​IMG]Woodpile Workout by MJGEGB, on Flickr

A 2.25 lbs Mann Edge Tool Co True American head on a 27" handle shaped to my liking. This is one on my earlier hangs and still on of my favorites. The head has the hardest steel I've come across hands down. It's a work horse.

I'll need to think about number four for a while.

brionic, JakeStone, Ptpalpha and 2 others like this.
  4. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I get along with 2 ...the rest is curiosity, not need. (My needs)

1- hatchet: 1 to 1.5lbs on a 19" to 24" handle

2- boys axe: 1.5 to 2lbs on a 26" or 28" handle.

Ptpalpha and carpenter like this.
  5. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My father's old firewood double bit 3.75# 36"(thick bit works better then any maul I used for splitting rounds, I use the flick method btw plus real thin handle use for saw cut round i.e. bow saw chainsaw ), Double bit Cruiser 2.5# 28"(takes a role of a boy's axe with the benefit of a double bit mainly for trail clearing plus real thin handle), Connecticut pattern felling axe Shorter length head long cutting edge. 3.5# 36" Octagon handle curved for the sake of comfort (For felling timber above 15" diameter, and for splitting axe cut firewood above 15" diameter), and a 2 1/4# Boy's axe with a 26" curved octagon handle(Main pulpwood logging axe, and pulpwood splitting axe.)

Out of the four, the two I'd use the most are the Cruiser, and the Connecticut. The cruiser can do anything the boy's axe can and maybe more in certain situations while the boy's axe in it's own right has the hammer pole which beyond the fact of not having to carry a hammer with you is better for splitting axe cut wood since you can invert the axe when needed during splitting, plus I usually make quickie racks out of saplings for the wood.

Bottom line for the light weight axes they are interchangeable based on the task at hand.

Ptpalpha and carpenter like this.
  6. carpenter

carpenter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My 3.5lb Kelly Flint Edge on a 30" handle. For the big stuff.

My no name 2.5lb Cruiser. Pretty sure its a Kelly. This axe just feels right.

Just hung a 1lb 6oz older Wetterlings on a hand made (by me) 22" handle. I believe this is going to be a good pack axe. 1lb 15oz total weight.

Plumb Victory hatchet. Just a sweet hatchet.

Ptpalpha likes this.
  7. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    This is even better than I'd hoped for. Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking forward to hearing.
    Thanks, guys. Let's keep it going!

8. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1. Carving hatchet. 3/4lb head on 10" handle. Why? Because they're great at carving! GB makes some nice ones, but I've seen some makers on here put together a fancy product.

2. General purpose ax - 1.5lb head on a 22" handle. For me, the wetterlings Bushman. Why? I feel like it's a perfect all arounder for hiking and camping. Large enough to split small rounds, light enough to carry, long enough to get some good momentum going, and a nice wedge shaped head.

3. Felling axe. I don't have one, so this is speculation. But an axe designed to cut down a tree would be invaluable - for someone in a place they could do that (not me currently sadly). GB makes a 32" one I'd like to try. It supposedly has a 5lb head which seems... a lot. But maybe that's what you need!

4. Maine wedge axe - 3.5lb head on a 30" handle. Great for splitting, but pretty good GP axe to have at home. I feel like it's a good compromise between a maul/wedge.

Good topic idea.

9. mugsy

mugsy Scout

Blog Posts:
    my craftsman double bit cruiser. 2.5# 30" handle
    boys axe 28" handle
    ancient estwing hatchet.
    tomahawk

Ptpalpha and JakeStone like this.
  10. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Kelly Wood Slasher , Plumb boys Ax/Collins Cruiser my CHREBA built pack ax .
    IMG_20170408_191922188.jpg IMG_20170329_162104189.jpg IMG_20170421_120134091.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Elgin and Ptpalpha like this.
  11. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here they are. I might change one of the below for my G-B Scan. Forest Axe. For bigger jobs.;)
    DSC00894.JPG

RB

Ptpalpha and Sticks N' Stones like this.
  12. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I actually forced myself into culling my collection down to 4-5 a few years ago. I have plenty of heads and pending projects, but the idea is that they will be sold when finished. My 4 keepers are:

1) Kelly Cruiser 2.5 Lbs on 28": Total cool factor here. I don't typically take this on trips, but hope to get more use out of it if I purchase a home.

2) Hults Bruk 2 1/4 Swedish Boys axe with flat cheeks on straight-ish 26" link handle: My lighter weight camp axe. Slightly shorter handle, little less weight on the head.

3) Shapleigh 2 1/2 Boys axe with high centerline on curvy 28" house handle: My go to camp axe, a touch heavy to pack but it punches way above its weight class. Chops and splits better than any other axe in its sixe that I've used.

4) 3.5 Lb Kelly perfect Jersey on 30" house handle: One of my first projects. The head is too perfect to ever get rid of. The poll sill has the 32 stamp on it! Hope to put this to use if I evre buy a home!

Ptpalpha and GoKartz like this.
  13. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    No one else?

14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm having a hard time, today I hung a Plumb super scout, on a classic and thin handle that I was given recently, I will try to work up a list and some pictures, the general outlay will probably be:
    Hatchet (Boy Scout, Plumb, on original handle)
    Cruiser (Plumb, rescued from my brother in law...who used it to chop roots around his house...)
    Boy's Axe (either a plumb boy's axe, or the super scout)
    Full size DB (Plumb Victory, a double bit Michigan pattern...the first axe I purchased)

hopefully pictures will come soon!
    I have some other axes, and am not sure I consider myself a plumb collector, they just happen to be some of my favorites, both in pattern and size

15. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll take what @RocketBoy is showing. Especially the far right. It looks about perfect for what I need a axe to do. The hatchet up top is just drool country!

RocketBoy likes this.
  16. mr c

mr c Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Gb outdoor axe

Ct bad boy axe

Gb scandi forest axe

Gb double bit

(I own 3 out the 4 so cant complain...much)

17. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    New list:
    TT 1.25lb head on a 24" West Woods
    TT 2.25lb head on 28" Link
    Wetterlings 3.5lb SAW on 28" Link
    TT 3.5lb jersey pattern on 33" Link
    (Links are all heavily thinned)

18. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Husqvarna multipurpose axe. Good enough axe good price

19. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Husqvarna multipurpose axe. Good enough axe good price

20. TStilwell

TStilwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That’s very hard for me.. I’ve got three axes competing for the same spot, none of which I’m currently willing to let go and haven’t had enough using time with any of them to decide which would go.
    I would say a good boys/pack axe style.
    A larger double bit or felling axe.
    A hatchet.
    And a double bit cruiser, that’s the only thing I don’t own one of. That I really really want aside from a plumb Boy Scout hatchet.
    I’ve got a 3.5lb head axe with no discernible makers mark that I like but haven’t had enough time with it on a handle I like.
    Then that dis-cludes tomahawks, and carving axes.