If you need flint & Steel strikers please read. ebay store will be on "vacation"

Discussion in 'Wolf Creek Forge' started by Lisa West, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Guys sometime this weekend Ill be putting the ebay store on vacation mode for a couple weeks. Its taking too much time away from orders right now and I need to focus on getting orders out. My small Etsy store will remain open. I will also be happy to sell you any striker you like right here..Ill be making a striker for sale thread here and in the for sale section.
    To be honest the ebay store is not that great..Ebays fees are getting out of hand and I hate to raise my prices much more..By the time I pay the store fees,the ebay fees and the paypal fees Im not making much of a striker at all..Then I offer free shipping so if I sell a striker for $25 then Im only getting about $17.50.Not counting gas to the post office.
    now according to a ebay buyer last week who wrote and offered me $15 for one seahorse shipped:rolleyes: he said its "just a hunk of steel".. Well its a hunk of W1 tool steel that I order, that's forged,normalized,ground and then heat treated in a digital kiln in professional grade quench oil.. Almost no one goes to all the trouble I do heat treating strikers like that.. Its not just a hunk of steel to me, or you.
    Scams are getting more and more prevalent on ebay. Ive had to report several buyers already this year(which really ammounts to nothing because ebay has little seller protection) for trying to hold my feedback hostage wanting something for free. saying they never got their stuff but the tracking says they did. Even at that Id be willing to give some the benefit of the doubt that maybe they didn't and Id help them out someway but when they send a message like "You didn't ship my stuff, want two or I leave neg feedback" and so on I know whats going on. hey Ive lost money on orders before when something went wrong just to make a customer happy. that never bothered me. Id rather loose a few buck than have a unhappy customer any day but some of the stuff that's going is getting under my skin.. Im not talking about my own mistakes that a customer asks me to fix either. Im happy and I want to do that.. Im talking about the cheats.
    Then theres the ones that order an item and literally two days later open a "ebay request/case" because they haven't got their stuff yet..never mind its not even suppose to ship for four more days but theres no way they could have gotten it anyway.. So paypal puts my money on hold and ebay just says "yes I understand its unreasonable but we will close the case after they get their item":confused:..Yea but I cant get my money until then..
    If I don't change my mind I may close the ebay store all together this year I don't know yet. Ive bent over backwards to keep my feedback 100% on ebay over the years but trust me you folks have no idea what its taken to keep it that way.

OldSoul, funkja, tabasco_joe and 24 others like this.
  2. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I, for one, appreciate the strikers you produce. If it were "just a hunk of steel", everyone would be making/selling them. And, even among those being sold in various places, most are mediocre at best. Yours are worth every penny, and if selling on eBay means you're getting too few of those pennies, then I don't blame you one bit for abandoning that market. It's a strange place to sell...you get all kinds of buyers (and scammers) looking for something for nothing.

DavidJAFO, ArmyMacE and Lisa West like this.
  3. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Narcoleptic Insomniac Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I hope you don't get offended by an uninformed statement someone makes on eBay. There are lots of "experts" out there with their opinions that mean little to most that have been at this a while.
    I own several of your strikers and have gifted many to my friends who are amazed at the sparks they produce!

Yes, your strikers are "just a hunk of steel"...and the Mona Lisa is "just a painting";)

DavidJAFO, 3Rotts and Lisa West like this.
  4. Wolfcri

Wolfcri Adventurer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lisa,
    Because of the quality and craftsmanship of your products, they really speak for themselves. You deserve a marketplace and customer base that appreciates that. However, it's hard to ignore the massive exposure you'd get from ebay.

I'd suggest that you consider this:
    When you do a batch of strikers or other products and have a few extras that are not 'made to order' for a customer, list those on ebay and charge extra to cover your fees/costs. They will still sell.
    If you are happy with the way your Etsy store operates, don't change anything.
    I have a feeling you'll always have orders coming in from BCUSA too.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate your products or complains about the fact that your communication might not be instant... (or makes silly claims of fraud)
    ...well, they can go pound salt.

Some people have lost touch with the reality and fellowship of dealing with other humans due to things like 'Prime' or all of the other technologies associated with doing business in this day and age.

I, for one, love how you do business. I appreciate the values which are evident at Wolf Creek Forge. I don't think I'm alone in choosing to do business with businesses like yours instead of someone who can drop-ship me an inferior product from china within 4 minutes of my online checkout.

5. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Oh no not offended by that. Ive been on ebay a long time and don't pay attention to stuff like that.. Right now the real reason is that I need to get my BCUSA orders taken care of first and ebay is taking time away from that..
    Its also not so much that Im not making enough money. Pretty much anyone who knows me knows that my prices are pretty reasonable to compared to almost anyone.. I can raise the price of them on ebay I just kinda hate to do that but Ill probably have to and or stop using free shipping.
    Honestly I started selling strikers on ebay just for a little extra money, not business. I like to make strikers and selling them there just put a little money back into the shop. Ill never stop making strikers regardless of ebay.. The price of steel has raised, shipping has raised etc but I haven't raised my prices..My fault on that I know.
    I have a long ship time on ebay, 5 business days which means it may be 7 actual days before its even shipped(ebay orders are shipped on certain days because I cant make it to the PO every day).. that's clearly marked in my listings and on the ebay shipping but people still get mad because of it,even though its listed..

6. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Those are very kind words and appreciated to!

DavidJAFO likes this.
  7. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The other day, after reading a certain thread, I was wondering how it can be possible for the vendors to keep offering their items for sale when they must have to deal with a lot of unnecessary drama.

I hope you reach a decision that is good for both you as an individual, and profitable for your company.

I, for one, will definitely continue ordering strikers from you whether you have an eBay store or not.

DavidJAFO, rsnurkle and Lisa West like this.
  8. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Scout

Blog Posts:
    I totally understand Lisa. I've purchased things on Etsy before so I feel that people will continue to find them on Etsy as well. Definitely not a hunk of steel, but craftsmanship! My friends keep asking me to bring it on our camping trips to start another flint and steel fire.

Lisa West likes this.
  9. mcdudr

mcdudr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not very computer savy and didn't realize you have a different store to sell your strikers. I have several of your strikers/knives/hawks and I treasure them. I would gladly pay more and postage for anything you make. I was wondering where your posts went for awhile. Sorry you have to deal with some adam henrys. I'm very sorry one of my orders got lost in the mail. I think someone on my mail route wasn't an honest person. I'm a loyal fan, just post more. Thanks Dave

Lisa West likes this.
  10. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Ill probably keep the ebay store but just change it a bit. Again if I make a mistake Ill own up to it to fix it. Ive made mistakes and Ill probably make more :D right now I need to take care of orders. Ive got a lot on my plate and a couple weeks of not worrying about ebay will be that much more time to get orders out.

11. kelpie13

kelpie13 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lisa,
    I've been very satisfied with all the items I have purchased from you and your company over the last two years. Quality takes time and handmade takes much longer to deliver than "box store" goods or mass produced stuff. I know we all expect everything instantly now but I myself don't waiting a little longer for quality and dedication to your business. I will continue to recommend you to anyone I know for your quality products and service.

12. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a number of "chunks of steel" from WCF. Currently two, that are either in shipping or yet to be created. I will continue to support WCF because there are still a few more strikers that I've yet to add into my collection on top of possible new products.
    When teaching flint and steel I always have people doing it try a striker that is not from WCF before I let them try a WCF striker. They always ask, where can I get one of those?
    Ebay or not, as long as there is a way to buy more from WCF is good with me.

@Lisa West thanks for sharing your experience using Ebay it is very enlightening with what you have shared.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    rsnurkle likes this.
  13. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I may have ranted a little bit but didn't really mean to..honestly I really wanted to let you guys know that Ill still be making strikers. that will not change and that if you go to the ebay store and its down for a little while you are welcome to contact me here or via email.
    Also please if you don't receive a response within 24 hours send the email again. I found three messages in my spam folder today:confused:

DavidJAFO, Badey and Tangotag like this.
  14. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Isn't a knife also "just a chunk of steel"? LOL!

beacon, Tangotag and ArmyMacE like this.
  15. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use to do quite a bit with ebay but stopped because the fees were getting out of hand. That was 4 or 5 years ago...I'm sure it's gotten worse not better. I, for one, don't know how you can still sell things on there and make a profit.

16. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lisa, I would agree that walking away from Ebay would be a good choice. The fees are outrageous and the polices have become & are, IMO, nutz.

As for the other - I have & use your products and know they are first rate!

Best of luck on whatever course you finally choose.

17. injun51

injun51 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've bought a few things from you and have had nothing but a good experience with you and your products. I know use of foul language is a no no here, but F⊙CK these people that are bad mouthing you. They don't know what you're going through to keep a successful business up and running, especially a demanding business like a blacksmith shop. You just worry about doing what you do and let those with fake, negative feedback, fall by the wayside. You've proven you make a superior product. Just allow your work to speak for itself. Stay strong..

18. OldSoul

OldSoul Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's probably what happened to me when I sent messages here and then through your ebay store a couple years ago, looking to order some custom strikers. A few messages and a few weeks and I ended up going to another place, but it would be terrible if something in your email settings is losing you business. Have always admired your work, and more on topic I couldnt agree more that ebay seems more aggravation than anything now. As with any craftsman, you probably tend to see imagined flaws in your work, but it's definitely worth upping your price on ebay to deal with it in my opinion. Your prices are already more than fair, you've got leeway!

Lisa West likes this.
  19. TarHeelBrit

TarHeelBrit Lowly Backgarden Bushcrafter. Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    "now according to a ebay buyer last week who wrote and offered me $15 for one seahorse shipped:rolleyes: he said its "just a hunk of steel".. Well its a hunk of W1 tool steel that I order, that's forged,normalized,ground and then heat treated in a digital kiln in professional grade quench oil.. Almost no one goes to all the trouble I do heat treating strikers like that.. Its not just a hunk of steel to me, or you."

Cheeky git!! if all he wants is a hunk of steel the bloody well go to the scrap yard and pull a bit off of a wreck. People like that really annoy me they don't realise the time and craftsman (woman) skills that go into making a damn good striker. Sorry rant over.

Lisa ignore scum like that that don't appreciate all the hard work you put in....some of us appreciate it.

DavidJAFO likes this.
  20. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    DITTO what they've all said.. :) @Lisa West creator of the Excalibur of all steel strikers. :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

21. Lisa West

Lisa West Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    thanks to all, its much appreciated. really it is. I appreciate every order, it dosnt matter if its a $200 axe or a $20 striker. I feel privileged that someone wants to spend their hard earned money on something that I make..

OldSoul likes this.
  22. Ken V.

Ken V. Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I just received my fourth striker from you and they are worth every penny. I would rather put the money in your pocket si I will sure to order direct in the future.