1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

If you went homeless

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by CharClothed, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Isnalawica

Isnalawica Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting thread that comes back to life. I have ended up homeless in September 2004 but saw it coming. All I had was my Cannondale MTB and a homemade trailer containing my camping gear and a few souvenirs. I was lucky enough to have a childhood friend who had inherited 45 acres where he already allowed 6 formally homeless people to settle. It took me 12 days to reach the spot where I built a tiny cabin entirely from salvaged materials (it's amazing what some companies throw away). I ended up living there off-grid for 2 years. We were 7 and each had it's role. Some took care of the gardens, others raised the animals that were given to us and I took care of the woodworking and metalworking workshops (as well as some of the administrative work since the owner worked overseas). We even had a dedicated cook! I would occasionally forge a few things and sell salvaged junk on flea markets to help pay for the taxes and buy a few tools. We also managed to house several WOOFERS all year round and were in contact with several other "alternative sites". I had other plans for my life so I moved out when I found a good job. I sometimes miss that life and would return there if I had to become homeless again. I then also discovered the "alternative" world and know quite a few other places I could now settle if needed. I know that the cabin I built at the time is still used and slept in in again in 2013 when I visited them for a wedding.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    riverjoe likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Homeless.
    Been there, done that, got the banner, and the hat .
    Lived with cows, and fought with rats . made my bed tween board an bats.
    I remember the good times, and the bad, looking back,an I'm not sad to leave it all behind me.
    Did it off and on through out my life , even did with kids and wife .
    Not for pleasure, not for fun, just the way things went, t'was a good run.
    Good lessons in life I had not intended ,
    given things that were broke and learned to mend it.

I'm not the richest person here , never hoped to be .
    The wealth I've accumulated are good friends, that were there for me when I needed help, and naturally I sought every opportunity to reciprocate the kindness .
    IMO some one living selfishly ,even though rich in money , doesn't know who his friends really are. that is poverty.
    I've spent time with the wealthy , worked on their stuff, and enjoyed their company ,but for all the BS they have to deal with just to keep their money
    I'm glad for the place I am in life.
    A lot of the people I grew up with are gone now ,having done much better than I financially, but some how in God's intervention, I'm still here.
    If I came home and all were burnt to the ground , I know there are people the would take me in ,, that's what friends do.

3. Caribou

Caribou Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Living in a tent here in the arctic is fun and healthy, and thriving when your constantly hunting, gathering, and fishing. Lots of older folks up this way grew up this way, so its also very socially acceptable. Maybe I should just shut off this computer and walk away :D

Having been in prison before, I can say there are worse things than being homeless, and yet in there I awoke and was thankful I wasn't waking up in a hospital.....

4. Viking Calibur

Viking Calibur Tracker

Blog Posts:
    comfortable. I already own a military surplus 5 man Arctic tent with a wood stove, so for shelter I am already set. I have been for years slowly building up my tools and survival gear that I need to last more than 72 hours. As for food I know of places that I could go to grow a garden, which is close to, walking wise, to crown land where one could hunt, and walking distance to the ocean or lakes for fish. If I lost everything over night, I would pick out the items that I need and I would walk away from the rest. My wife on the other hand would not be enjoying it however if in a pinch I think she would come around. I would do what I could to make our life as comfortable as possible.
    I truly think my 14 year old son would have a huge issue, but I think by putting him to work and bringing him along with me, he would come around too.

Growing up my dad would gather items, at the time I thought he was just collecting "junk" which would sit and rust. I now know that some of his "collections" could be used if needed, however the others not so much. I try my best to limit what I collect, and for the most part it has worked.

Some day, some where out there is a piece of raw land with my name on it, I just havent found it yet. A place to call my own. Just need access to drinking water, and space off grid of course.

I don't need much to live on, or to live with. My need for unneccessary items is dwindling.