If you were on History Channel's "Alone" what axe would you bring?

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Sticks N' Stones, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I thought of this question as a way to represent long term survival where you have minimal tools yet you still aren't starving to death, as I believe this is the hope of the contestants even though it doesn't play out like that.

For myself, I'd personally bring my 2.5# Collins Homestead Cruiser 28". Why I would bring such and axe over a boy's axe is due to the fact in my mind is that while having a metal hammer is better for powerful blows, I could make an array of batons. Plus I have the two different grinds. Granted it isn't the best splitter ever as the bits are thin, I could open a crack with the axe and hammer in wedges with the baton for firewood.

Beyond this any axe with a head weight above 3# in my mind would be ridiculous as at that point your waisting to much energy.

Finally if a Cruiser worked for Dick Proenneke It would work for me.

[​IMG]

2. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would probably bring my 2.5 lb cruiser as well. It’s a nice middle ground between my pack axes and my 3.5 lb Kelly Jersey Pattern. The two different edges is also a plus in many scenarios.

3. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Collins on it's 32 inch handle . IMG_20170329_161819582.jpg

4. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Probably my 2-1/4lb True Temper on a 29" handle, but the decision would involve hours of hand wringing and muttering obscenities to myself.
    [​IMG]

After deciding on this axe my next move would be to hastily call Adam (@batmanacw ) and have him overnight me a 28" West Woods handle for it so I could hang it properly and get rid of that ugly sloping shoulder I did.
    Edit: just wanted to say that I've never watched the show, so my choice, as most who know me have come to expect, is woefully uninformed.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  5. batmanacw

batmanacw Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would go 1.75 to 2 lbs on 24" to 26"..... but I've never watched the show.

I can take down an 8" tree in a few minutes with either weight head. I wouldn' tackle too much more than that.

I can split anything I would tackle with that axe easily. I'd just use wedges for anything stubborn.

If you need to do one handed work with your axe you absolutely will appreciate my selection.

I might go with a thin Rhineland pattern because it's easier to connect cuts when bucking or felling to pop bigger chips with a lighter axe.

6. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Im another whose never seen it.
    But for speculations sake here's a 2 1/4 lb on a 26" handle that's about what I like for things of a camping nature in a work to weight ratio. Great light felling and firewood getter, and I'm pretty good with a boy axe one handed.
    I like and use double bits a lot, but in this case I'd want ax axe with a poll.

20170427_142256.jpg

7. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only watched the first season, so I'll base my answer around the assumption that I'll be in the same area at the same time and under the same rules.

I would go for a slightly larger axe, specifically a 3-3.5 lb Dayton or Michigan pattern. Once I got my camp location set it would be a lot easier to get bigger work done with a full size axe. I think it was Lucas who had a full size Jersey and a larger crosscut saw. He was able to get a ton of work done with that combo.

I don't own this one anymore, but this Kelly Michigan hafted on a 30" handle would be what I would look to put together for the show, although I prefer the Dayton pattern slightly more. IMG_1143.jpg

Ptpalpha and Elgin like this.
  8. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice one! @Brown85 , did you make the handle?

9. Brown85

Brown85 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! No, I didn't make the handle, It was a club from House that I shaved down. It actually came to me octagonal and I had to remove so much material it was smooth by the end lol. With the time spent I may as well have made my own.

Ptpalpha likes this.
  10. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would bring my hand-forged 8th Century Viking Battle Axe (repro), of course!
    001.JPG

Well, maybe not.:D I'd probably bring something a little more practical like my G-B Scandinavian Forest Axe. Weight is the main issue. A larger Axe would be nice, but having to haul it around would be a drag. Hence, my choice of the G-B Scan. Forest Axe.

RB