Iguanas Anyone?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Ahnkochee, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I have a kid sis living in SW Florida, and she reports that they are everywhere there as well as in Miami. I have also heard that they have taken over Puerto Rico. Since they are not native to these areas the locals have no food culture which includes these large lizards. I saw one on Maui 15 years ago, and friend back in the late '60s told me he had them sunning themselves on his back deck in a surburb of Honolulu but for some reason they are rarer than hen's teeth here which I find unusual as most tropical invasives LOVE this place. I read that they are an easy target for air guns, sling shots, arrows, and 22s. My question is has anyone here tried eating iguanas, and if not would you be willing to try?

2. cstrickland

cstrickland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have not tried eating them but I will try about anything. Iguana on a stick !!!1

I really love dove and when I tell people how good it is I get the strangest looks. Love frog legs as well.

I draw the line at pigs feet and tripe.

Wasp, Winterhorse, jasam and 3 others like this.
  3. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ran into them a few times in SW Florida and always did my very best to catch one by hand whenever the opportunity presented itself. They are much faster than I would have expected and I was never even able to get close to grabbing one. When you are not trying to sneak up on them they are more than happy to sit still and would make very easy targets for any accurate projectile.

Every reptile I've ever tried has tasted about the same; like a combination of fish and poultry. I wouldn't expect these to be any different and I would love to try one.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  4. halo2

halo2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd eat that. Never have but I'd try it.

I read once many years ago that iguana has a higher yield meat percentage yield than cattle. Ranching them was considered.

NattyBo, Faiaoga and NWPrimate like this.
  5. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    mmmm....iguana kabobs.......i love me some frogs legs...

NWPrimate, jasam and cstrickland like this.
  6. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    Shucks. Can’t be any different than frog,rattlesnake,turtle,or gator and I eat all four as regular as possible. The little speckled geckos have made their way here mayhaps the iguanas will follow. Might be more fun than squirrel hunting.

NWPrimate and Primordial like this.
  7. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've eaten Iguana killed by machete in the Jungle in Panama working for Uncle Sugar.:dblthumb:
    Had to share my sleeping space with some rather large 8 legged critters too.

Gator steaks are much more preferred over Iguana for me.

jasam and Primordial like this.
  8. tashunka witko

tashunka witko Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bet they can bite the crap out of you. Even small lizards have powerful jaws. I’d love to try and trap one and eat him.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Never had them, but I've eaten other lizards before and and thought they tasted good. I'd love to hunt them with air rifles...or any weapon for that matter! You can easily catch many stationary lizards by slowly extending a noose over their heads on a long pole/stick, as long you do it from behind or way off side of the critter.

jasam likes this.
  10. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    They are known to have a very strong tail slap when agitated.

NattyBo likes this.
  11. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have no urge to try iguana, but this past Saturday I caught two fingerling trout... literally fingerling... like, finger length... and I was so tempted to just eat one — “raw and wriggling “ as Gollum says — just to know I could and would. But, I was out by myself and I remembered this NPR story about guys whose last words were “Hey, watch this!”, and many of the scenarios involved eating live fish. Which got stuck.

12. PoconoChris

PoconoChris Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You had chicken Mcnuggets before.... Didn't you?

13. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wife spent a few years as a missionary kid in Central America as a child/teenager. There was a time when they had no money and a Nicaraguan teenager fed them with iguanas that he killed with is slingshot. (There's more to the story, would make a great movie.)

jasam and Sandcut like this.
  14. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Never ate Iguana. I used to have a rather large pet green iguana. He was about 3 1/2 to 4 foot long and yes when he was mad he could really whip you with his tail.

15. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ive had it once in Key West Bahama village.
    Island guy had some grilling on the side of the street.

Freakin delicious!

i had a huge nasty male .Over 6ft . Latched on to my mom so hard one day. Right on her chest .Caused a pretty big bruise but about 15years later her doc thought it was a tumor .Nope .Big ole ball of scar tissue .

My mom is a tough lady .

tree-ratsniper likes this.
  16. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Iguanas are mainly herbivorous with maybe an occasional bird egg so to me they are a tad more appealing to the palate than a carnivorous reptile but that's just me. ;)

tree-ratsniper, Wasp, NattyBo and 2 others like this.
  17. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    yes they are good .... besides lots of tourist in puerto rico have had them on the beaches (dat wasnt chicken)...................................seriously they sale it as other meat to make more $$$$$$$$$$$

18. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    oh and its good to kill them unless you want them forever ! and they can get 6ft plus...........

Wasp likes this.
  19. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had 'em, hunted with a slingshot. Very bony, but good, with dumplings Iguana Supper 2.JPG

tree-ratsniper likes this.
  20. dirt7

dirt7 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had one as a pet when I was a kid...

21. Metaldog

Metaldog Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's my understanding that the more colorful males are pretty docile in the wild (especially when sunning themselves). It's the females you don't mess with. I've heard that they will bite and claw fiercely.

I have never eaten iguana, but I will try almost anything once. Now, where'd my steak knife go? :22:

22. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Aww, c'mon! You guys are slipping. Not one reference to Wall of Voodoo???!!!

I'd love to try it. If they made a northern snow iguana. We've got native skinks, but that's about it for lizards in PA.

23. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    my dad and his brothers used to kill them with blowguns in post-war south texas. bicycle spoke darts ...

24. Chazzle

Chazzle Wandering Teacher Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd try it! I remember using my old plastic -stock Crossman pump airgun to shoot European Starlings in the backyard. Anything helps when dealing with invasive species!

I would think it would taste kinda like alligator?

Chazz

Paulyseggs likes this.
  25. squiddley

squiddley Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Goldfish crackers will bait them in close,they will also freak out German tourists walking under their lounge chairs. I tried to warn her but she thought I was hitting on her.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  26. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I remember in Crocodile Dundee when he asked his aborigine buddy if he was enjoying his iguana. He replies, “naw, needs garlic!” I would give it a try.

Schmittie likes this.
  27. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Probably.

They ought to treat this like the lionfish and python and encourage people to hunt them and restaurants to serve them.

28. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can vouch for this, when I was in my early 20s a buddy had one that was a pet. Somehow or another the damn thing latched onto one of my fingers & wouldn't let go! I tried to remove it gently & then after seeing my blood begin to trickle, I started to get a little irritated! We tried to remove this thing for several minutes but it wasn't giving up. I pulled out my folder to commence cutting the damn thing's head off and my buddy said hang on...It took 3 people & two straight screwdrivers to pry that thing off of my finger. My girlfriend at the time immediately produced a cup of hydrogen peroxide to soak my finger in (didn't want to chance it, they are related to Komodo dragons). My finger was bit up pretty good, should have probably had a few stitches. This iguana wasn't very big, maybe a foot in body with another foot or so in tail. I wouldn't want to get bit by a larger one! On a side note, the thing died about a month later, my buddy says it was from all the heavy-metals it ingested via my blood! :18:

29. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Years ago we did a joint operation with a Central American Navy, I was repairing their radios on a patrol boat when lunch rolled around. I was invited to lunch with the crew and they served iguana that one of the crew bagged early that morning. It was very tasty, kind of tasted like a mix of gator and shrimp.

30. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Actually that was "Goanna" or monitor lizard of which there are about 25 varieties in Australia and considered a delicacy by Aboriginals there. Iguana and Goanna sound very similar. Speaking of which Nile Water Monitor lizards are also not an uncommon sight in SW Florida too where my kid sis lives. Many claim their pets have been eaten by these large lizards. I would chance eating a herbivorous Iguana but not a carnivorous Monitor, just me.

Australian Sand Goanna
    [​IMG]

Nile Water Monitor
    [​IMG]

Green Iguana
    [​IMG]

Paulyseggs likes this.
  31. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    These guys are mostly all dead now. But they died of old age and accidents not eating this lizard. I’ve never had one but I’d be game. I assume like most reptiles it is rank with salmonella so the carcass and meat would have to be handled and cooked carefully, but that’s just as true for a chicken.
    uploads_2016_12_9_nasasurvival_3.jpg

Paulyseggs likes this.
  32. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    While I was looking for that astronaut picture I found these two of alligators in hiding. These are scary when you consider an animal that is able to kill and eat a man can disappear so completely.
    aligator.jpg aligator1.jpg

Paulyseggs likes this.