I'm worn out!

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Flint_2016, May 13, 2018.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    At 63 yrs old now,it seems I'm just going at half speed.35-40 lb packs plus my AR-15,are hard on my back and legs when heading to my shelter for an overnighter.Once I set up camp,gather firewood,and make dinner,I'm pooped and wanna hit the sack.This is only since last October,which just happens to be the month I was born,10/1954.I could be vitamin deficient,I should probably start taking B complex vitamins,and cut out the energy drinks which may be the culprit.I have issues with my knees,hips,back,and right leg pain from right hip to my knee.Back in 2015 I quit a job that kept me all day in 0F and -20 F freezers,and that was only 25 hrs a week(Im handicapped on SS and am not allowed to work over a certain amount $)I'm positive the job had something to do with it,as I've become somewhat better in less pain than then when I was laid off.I was laid off because I was in a hospital for several weeks for tests,etc.Kayaking has been enjoyable though,using more of my arms than back,and I bought a better more comfortable seat for my fishing kayak.I have no trouble lifting the kayak on or off the Jeep and carrying it to and from the water's edge(only weighs 48 lbs).I havent been interested as much in some hobbies like photography or leatherwork either.Mostly I've been caring for my sick wife who needs a C-pap,and wheelchair to get around,a prisoner of her own home,sometimes a prisoner as well.God bless her she's only turning 53 yrs old but appears more like 70 yrs old health-wise.I'm asking for smoke and prayers for her mostly.My appetite is not great like it used to be.Maybe I should join a gym,besides vitamins.

2. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm with you my friend .
    Praying for you and your love.

3. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would definately cut out the energy drinks, they cause you to crash.
    Have your B12 tested. Its not unusual for people to have lower levels anyway, especially as you get older. Notmal should be 300-900. If you go below 300 you will feel sick and slow. 200 and below is starting to get dangerous and can cause permanent damage including nerve damage and much worse actually.

We all need to stretch and exercize more. Stretching at the beginning of each day can help long term. Especially before strenuous activity can make it easier and prevent injury.

Stay as active as possible. Docs say my two year recovery from my illness left me placid for extended periods and actually made my muscles weak. Move it or you lose it is very true.
    My dad is 70 and has worked every day his whole life. Ge is stiff but still does construction every day. If he ever stops he'll probably be in bad health.

4. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Prayers have been offered for both you and your wife.

I would stop the energy drinks. Look into both Red Raspberry Leaf Tea and Turmeric.

5. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    flint, i'd sure enough get your doc to run a stress test; get your heart thoroughly checked out ...

6. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I turned 63 last October as well, an started slowly noticing changes, primarily more effort when getting up off the ground after squatting down. Anyway, prayers sir for your wife and yourself. I believe energy drinks can be quite harmful, along with sodas. Kind thoughts for your situation.

7. BigDaddyHoss

BigDaddyHoss Proud Tracker Pack #34 Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    22555547_1730241627017688_1759535233332192324_o.jpg

I am as broke down as anybody else and this has become my life of late. I recommend it to everyone as it is scalable to anyones life regardless of where you are at. Don't say can't, Suffer beautifully and Happy day

8. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    It could be something as simple as low testosterone. Go to the doctor and get a check up. Get all the lab work done and see what the results are before you assume one thing or another.

Jon.

9. mcblade

mcblade Scout

Blog Posts:
    When we get this age the bag of sugar should have a skull and crossbone on it. Cut out as much as possible. Also find you a hobby you can persue at home. I took up knife making because you as the care giver are under a tremendous amount of stress taking care of your loved one. I'm also diabetic when I was taking care of my dad I checked my sugar and it was over 500 so I had to come home for a few days and get back on track. You gotta take care of yourself so you can take care of them. Blessings and prayers to you and your wife.

aaronu, Jayson, blind & lost and 3 others like this.
  10. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Definitely something to it, you should have the docs check you out. Health is the most important thing you can have, and so often we don't appreciate it til we lose it. Smoke sent! Take care of yourself- you're too young to be getting old!

11. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Turn 60 in June, a 7 mile trail run over tough conditions was the highlight of my day!

12. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been slipping lately, falling back into old habits. I got myself out of my last rut by adding fruit/veggie juices to my diet. Different for everyone but I find them to really lift my energy levels and help out a lot with my health. Originally started with them after watching a doco, if you can handle watching a movie about a guy making veggie juices for himself, I highly reccomend it.

13. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good advice above.

IvI' been building homes for over 35 years, and my body has taken a beating.

I have found that eating decent, taking turmeric, and having a positive attitude does wonders, as well as keeping active.

Any time I slip on any of these things, I can feel it.

Be well, and take care of yourself. :)

14. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMHO anyone over 40 should be taking vitamin supplements, IE; D-3 10,000IU, B complex, C,ect every day. I had a similar experience and I can say they absolutely work. Prayers to you and yours...

15. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dang that load would have worn me out when I was young. Get into ultra-light, and bring a sub-compact plastic pistol.

OrienM, blind & lost, Lichen and 2 others like this.
  16. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^ +1. I used to carry an 80 liter pack jammed to the gills, more stuff on the waist belt, sometimes a pistol etc. Nowadays I try to go as light as possible with stuff. Then I figured out that meant I had extra capacity to carry a few non-ultralight things. So sometimes I bring a small cast iron skillet or a wool blanket. And I look back and shake my head at all the junk I used to haul.

Agreed about the health assessment as well. Try to get one if you haven't lately. Figure out what it is rather than guessing.

I spoke with a different doctor about my blood lab results and was recommended some of the stuff discussed already. In my case talking to a new doctor was a good move because my regular doctor, although good in a lot of ways, just didn't look at things the same way. In my case it was folic acid and vitamin D. The folic acid pills (L-methylfolate) are spendy but I only need 1 pill a day (not the recommended 3 per day) so I can stretch one bottle of pills out for three months.

As for vitamin D -- the pills are cheap but getting out in the sun is free.

Testosterone level is a big deal once you are over a certain age. There are shots and/or pills for that but good ol' exercise helps too. That's also free. :)

But yeah, find out what your particular deal is first so you know how to best approach things.

Smoke and prayers.

blind & lost and Lichen like this.
  17. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's already been touched on about diet and exercise, but I'd advise cutting that pack weight. 34-40 lbs for an overnighter is just way too much weight. Lighten that load, and use an modern pack that fits and is comfortable.

In the end we slow down as we age no matter what we do but the key is to keep moving and go at your pace. Make it as comfortable and enjoyable and positive as possible.

blind & lost, Lichen and aaronu like this.
  18. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is why I LIVE EVERY DAY. Prayers and smoke.

blind & lost, Lichen and aaronu like this.
  19. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In addition get your thyroid checked......proper levels helps all the other stuff keep doing what's it's supposed to do....

blind & lost likes this.
  20. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    This is just a wild guess, but maybe it has something to do with your age. I'm 67 and wouldn't try to carry a 40 lb. pack more than 100 yards. Still, it's no excuse to not get out there and do something. Vitamin D deficeicency is the big deal now. We just don't get enough sun.

Mitch Ray, blind & lost and aaronu like this.
  21. Nelson Forge

Nelson Forge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are looking for suggestions then I would start lifting weights. Lifting weights will build muscle mass and increase endurance- this will help with your overall endurance AND increase your testosterone levels, increasing your energy level.

22. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I asked my doctor if it could be low 'T'.

Sure, he said... Hell, it could be just about anything.

I have a cool doctor.

Steve

Mitch Ray likes this.
  23. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you have a gut, then that's the culprit.

The man in the video several posts up has a huge gut! Lose the fat gut and you will return to your normal self.

Cut out the sugar, which also means cutting bread, and beer from you diet. All breads, and beer, turn to sugar!

Bread seems to be a staple of the American meal but we are not engineered to eat it that often.

Instead of toast or cereal, have 2 or 3 hard boil some eggs for breakfast, and wash them down with 1/2 a glass of real orange juice. Have a coffee, heck even a danish once in a while is better than eating bread everyday.

I cut bread from my diet several years ago. I lost over 20 lbs most of it in my gut. I don't have washboard abs but my stomach is flat. I wear the same size jeans as when I was 18, 32 x 34. I'm 48.

Cutting bread is hard at first. You'll be pretty grumpy for about 2 weeks, then your body will settle in to it's normal state. After this just stick with it, have a treat once in a while but maintain discipline and stay with it.

The benefits are far more than you know. You will look better, feel better, and you'll have more sex. Yes I said it.

Anyway, I hate hearing stories like this one. Most people don't need extra vitamins or medications, they just need to eat better, starting with cutting out bread and other foods that turn to sugar.

Good luck!

Galen blazer likes this.