Image Posting Best Practices

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kronin323, Feb 7, 2019.

1. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At a high level, there are two main ways to put images in posts - embed a link to the image on a 3rd party image hosting site or upload the image directly to the forum.

There are pros and cons for both and some members use one method over the other. My purpose for this thread is not to mandate one particular method but to ask the owners / admins which way they prefer.

The main reason for a forum to prefer links to hosted images is storage space. BCUSA's servers need the capacity to store all the images uploaded directly to the forum, which can add up to significantly more capacity than a bunch of links. Some forums will prefer links to keep their capacity requirements down.

On the other side, the main reason for a forum to prefer direct uploads is content persistence. You even go on an old thread and see posts that had images in them but the links don't work anymore? Either the poster removed it from the 3rd party image server or said 3rd party changed their terms of use. But the result is potentially valuable thread content is irretrievably lost. I know of one forum running XenForo that had a bot running that would download local copies of linked images to replace the links and create persistent data for this very reason. But they had the storage capacity for it.

As a forum user, I prefer images that are directly uploaded. But my reason why probably doesn't apply to most - some times I visit here from a work LAN or VPN that blocks access to image hosting sites. So any posts with linked images I view over that connection, I cannot see the images. Instead I have to use a private system without the same restrictions, which is not always handy.

Regardless, do the BCUSA forum owners / administrators have a preference? Which one?

Anybody else want to offer more pros / cons of one method or another?

Perhaps, if this thread goes anywhere, later we can expand this to best practices on how to integrate an image into a larger post, i.e. best format for combined text and images...

:42::42::42:

pellegrino and JeffG like this.
  2. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got a resizing app on my phone and I pack the photos as small as I can prior to uploading. Usually under 100kb.
    I hope that it does help a little as I hate threads where the photos disappear.

pellegrino and kronin323 like this.
  3. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I tend to resize my images smaller before uploading, too. The forum may accept images up to a certain filesize, but maxing out that size doesn't really serve any purpose. You just don't need that level a resolution for a forum thread. While at the same time, having 50 posts full of 5 MB images can drastically slow down pages loads.

KFF likes this.
  4. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I always want the most control I can have over my online content. For that reason, I prefer to embed a link. I enjoy forums like this and others, but when some threads have run their course or I lose interest in a particular forum, I'd rather delete my stuff if possible. In the case of photos, I go through my hosting site once in a while and delete the oldest stuff. I've deleted all of it, too. In fact, there have been a couple of message boards in the past that I was very active on for years, but after I'd lost interest in those activities or those boards, I took advantage of the ability they offered to totally nuke my accounts. Facebook in another example. I was on for 4 or 5 years, and when I was done with it, I nuked everything. Not that I had any issue with those sites whatsoever (except facebook and their massive data gathering) or had anything inappropriate posted up; I just don't like the idea of my content lingering on the web forever when I'm done with the conversation.

5. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I prefer the forum upload. As I would suspect the forum owners do.
    The only times I've seen people/members prefer third party sites is if they get miffed and want to take their ball and go home.
    Not to mention a person can change the picture on a hosting site, but the link remains the same. That will keep the admins busy.
    And then there's the posts missing pics. With so many old threads being risen to the surface on this forum, or ongoing ten year old threads, it would be nice if the pics were present.

Guy, kronin323 and pellegrino like this.