Improvised Snowshoes

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by davnadz, Jan 12, 2018.

1. davnadz

davnadz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's been warm lately, so a friend and I went out for a day-hike. Turns out, area we went still had plenty of heavy, wet, snow. Should'a not even tried, but we postholed for a quarter mile. Then I got the idea to make some 'shoes, trying to remember what I saw on some thread long ago.

26909176_10214533098576569_1326925264_o.jpg 26828648_10214533097776549_814857983_o.jpg 26828227_10214533098616570_131578052_o.jpg

Now I know how not to make snowshoes! I should'a: lashed solid crossmembers to stand on, gutted the paracord to get more cordage to make a second one, and found some smaller sticks or pine boughs to weave in for floatation. Will try again with what I learnt.

Quick search shows nothing, so show off your success stories here!

LarryB, ManyHammers, Elgin and 8 others like this.
  2. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a really good start on snowshoes. And I don't even use them but if I had to make a pair they may not look as good as yours.:dblthumb: Prov 27 : 17

3. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good that you made them and that you know more about making them now.

I once made a set of OSB snow shoes, yes Oriented Strand Board! One spring in North Dakota, we had a blizzard and I wanted to take the kids out to see what had happened. The snow was 5 feet deep at my garage door and went up hill to the middle of the street. Open the garage door and peek out of the few feet above the snow. Wow. This was a storm that drifted, so the back door of the garage was not snowed in.
    The shoes worked, I pulled the kids around in the sled to see the sights. But, they were not practical, I didn't have any traction. Needed cleats.

4. gohammergo

gohammergo Still running against the wind..... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well, you certainly get an A for effort. :)

I generally carry snowshoes with me all winter, but in my early years not so much. I've used all kinds of things from boards to the lids from the 5 gallon pails drywall compound comes in.

LarryB, ManyHammers and central joe like this.
  5. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You tried and learned young fellar. Good for you. joe

ManyHammers likes this.
  6. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would like to use tennis rackets for snowshoes,one of my neighbors and I were just talking about it the other day.

We have good snowshoes but it would be fun to test out the racket shoes.

gohammergo likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of sherpa snow shoes my son gave me , came with extensions for weight and snow density and ice cleats, worth the world to me . I got plenty of use out of them and hope to get more in the future .
    My first introduction was in Search and rescue, very important tools in snow survival .
    Alternative tools are cross country skis or down hill skis with telemark bindings and paracord wrapped around them for traction.
    It takes practice to learn to walk in them, but well worth it.
    What woke me up to their value was an inspection ride on a moe and I stepped off and sank down my head was 2 -3 feet below the moe , I had enough reach to grab the track and pull my self back up . Not a little disconcerting .
    I would rather pack the snow shoes and never have to use them , than go with out and find my self taking that terrible chance again.

davnadz, gohammergo and ManyHammers like this.