1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thought you folks might enjoy some shop/WIP photos now & then.

A "would have been nice" spalted beech YoYo reel that will now go in the burn pit after my 1" drill bit caught it and took it away from me and tore a big chunk out of it. :8:
    Yep I know better than to not have it clamped. :dblthumb:

IMG_5833.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    At least it is a chunk out of wood, not your hand!

Fat Old Man, hamanky and T. Pollock like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very True! :)

dub likes this.
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Second attempt today is spalted maple. Here's a little WIP. Same basic dimensions as the GAW prototype but a little less angle on the front lip of the reel. Same hole in the side for set it and forget it fishing but added a through hole into one of the center holes (forgot to get a photo of it) on this one for line attachment. This one when finished will be going out to @dub for R&D. :dblthumb:

IMG_5815.JPG IMG_5816.JPG IMG_5818.JPG IMG_5820.JPG IMG_5823.JPG IMG_5825.JPG IMG_5826.JPG IMG_5828.JPG IMG_5829.JPG

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's the line attachment through hole and the set it and forget it hole.

IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5842.JPG

If I want to continue to use these beautiful spalted woods it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to invest in a wood stabilizing setup. The majority of it is just too soft to turn... the more spalting = the softer the wood.

6. Bitterfists

Bitterfists Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just trim the busted side off the first one. Then market it as a marble organizer or desktop fidget toy.

Quinlan, dub and T. Pollock like this.
  7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL that would work. :dblthumb:

Bitterfists likes this.
  8. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That first one looks like another GAW to me. But I don't even know how to use one.

T. Pollock likes this.
  9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I thought about it but I'd rather GAW one that's not busted up. :dblthumb: I made a mess outta that one. o_O

Kacie and Hoof like this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Picked up over $800 in parts today for brakes on my tractor (who knew tractor parts were so expensive!!! :eek:) and started on it so nothing accomplished in the shop today but I did receive a box of goodies for future hobo reels.

L-R
    2- white ash
    2- cedar
    4- honey locust
    1- elm
    1- osage orange

IMG_5921.JPG

I'll get better pics later. I'm exhausted, that tractor whooped my behind today and I'm no where near finished installing the new brakes

11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's what the hobo reel woods I bought look like after putting them in the round.

Pretty disappointed in this wood. Being "spindle blanks" I expected it to be dry if not kiln dried. After taking the plastic off I realized it was all waxed (plastic should have been a clue) so this wood is green & some very wet! Went back to the site I ordered it from and at the bottom of the page it was in the "tiny print" at the bottom... imagine that. :eek: My fault, should have read the fine print! Put it all in the round to get rid of the wax and help speed the drying.

L-R same order as above on the species.

IMG_5928.JPG

Front to back opposite of above... osage orange being in the foreground.
    IMG_5927.JPG

Quinlan, DavidJAFO, Haggis and 7 others like this.
  12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Another Carve-A-Kuksa in the works. This is another one from birch and it has some really cool flame pattern (slightly visible in the top photo) grain to it. A little bigger than the last one, this holds a little over 12oz to the rim. In a couple of the photos it had been wetted with alcohol to make the grain pop. Thought some of you guys might like to see how one mounts on the lathe.

IMG_5933.JPG IMG_5935.JPG IMG_5936.JPG IMG_5937.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    A little more work and after a couple of days of drying and me watching it closely, if there are no issues this one will be listed.

Hoof and Broke like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    This is how the natural edge log cup turned out. Never done one like this before but I think it looks pretty cool. Haven't decided for sure what to do with this one yet. It has a CA finish (in order to make the bark stay on) rather than a tung oil finish. I wouldn't give a second thought to drinking from it but CA isn't an "FDA approved food safe finish". It really has no finish on it to speak of as everything on the surface has been sanded off so all that remains is in the wood not on the wood.

IMG_4581.JPG IMG_4585.JPG

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  15. Hammbone

Hammbone Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good looking cup, T. I like the natural edges!

TN_Woodman and T. Pollock like this.
  16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Hammbone! This is the first time I've tried removing the outer bark but leaving the inner, it left some neat color patterns for sure. I really like the way it turned out and had fun making it. I've never done a natural edge bowl but may try one of them too.

TN_Woodman likes this.
  17. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    A little progress update:

The wood I purchased for hobo reels hasn't dried enough yet to use it but I did drill the blanks the other day to help speed the drying process so hopefully in another day or two I'll have some hobo reels guys.

Last night I worked on a new process for making the beads and I believe I'll be able to do them more consistently (shape/size) this way. They of course will still be turned by hand (no jigs) but I believe I can be more accurate this way plus turn out cleaner looking beads. If I'm right (I only tried a few last night) those that bought beads from this last batch will receive a goodie box of new beads, just as a thank you for your business. I'm always looking for better ways of doing things so I can keep my prices down and always looking to improve the quality of what I do.

Thank you all for your friendships & support!!!
    Tim

Quinlan, DavidJAFO, Haggis and 4 others like this.
  18. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Did a hobo reel last night from one of the pieces of Honey Locust I bought. It wasn't quite as dry as I would like but man this thing is purdy. :dblthumb: Just a crappy indoor cell phone photo for now since it's raining (color is way off, it's actually a very light honey color) but this is the next reel that will be available.

IMG_5958.JPG

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    DavidJAFO, Paul Foreman, Keif and 4 others like this.
  19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I forgot that I promised a reel to a non member who contacted me through YouTube guys so this one will be going to her pending payment. My apologies for forgetting and stating that this one would be available next. :8: That's one reason I'm hesitant to even sell to anyone that's not a member of BCUSA. After my accident my memory is not very good at all and keeping everything in one place and in order as much as possible is important.

I'll have more available soon though.
    T

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    DavidJAFO, Broke and Hoof like this.
  20. Broke

Broke Back yard bushcrafter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like I am going back to my big boy job, so get on making stuff for me to buy!!!
    Lol!
    Adam G

21. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Good to hear about the job bud! I'm about to make some saw dust fly. :4:

DavidJAFO, Hoof and Broke like this.
  22. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    The only updates from the shop for the last few days are nothing good... or fun at least. :3:

I tore my dust collector apart and re-worked the whole thing making into a two stage so that has held me up 2-3 days. It was leaving all the dangerous fine dust in the shop and I was getting sick every time I'd work for any length of time. Then the alternator went out on my truck and when I went to change it I noticed my intake gasket was leaking so fixing the ole truck has held me up for a couple more days. Ya know what they say... when it rains it pours! :dblthumb:

I'm about ready to make mucho saw dust though, just finished up the truck and dust collector both today. I'd much rather be making stuff than fixing stuff, the fixing is just no fun at all anymore. :)

The news about my friend has kind of had me in shock too, but the best way I know of to keep my mind off things it doesn't need to be on, is to stay busy. Ed wouldn't have wanted me moping about him either, with love he would have said...get yer ass back to work bud! LOL He was a good man and I'll really miss him.

PS. I did make a few beads one night experimenting with the new way of making them. It's not going to save any time unfortunately and in fact may take a little more time but it will make for more consistent and better beads. Better always makes me happy. :4:

23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Made this prototype hobo reel last night with some suggested changes after the review done by @dub
    Since this one is just a proto I made it from some spalted gum (too soft to drill) and didn't drill or thread it.

This one will be going out to dub tomorrow to compare with the standard version to see if the changes make casting any easier/better. The reel section has been shortened 3/4", a much steeper angle on the front of the reel (more like the YoYo reel) and less flat area at the front.

IMG_5964.JPG IMG_5968.JPG IMG_5972.JPG

24. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Kuksa Blank Milling.

It was cloudy yesterday evening and not too terribly hot so I decided I'd mill up the remaining two birch logs I had for kuksa blanks. These logs have been cut for several months now and spalting had begun. The spalting is really pretty if it hasn't gone too far. I won't know how much of this will be suitable until I get it milled down the rest of the way into blanks.

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

I try to cut my logs to length for getting two blanks if possible from each section but sometimes you can only get a single, just depends on the tree. In the next couple of photos you can see some sections are shorter (single blank) blanks.
    IMG_5982.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

Here's a couple of end grain view closeups of the spalting.
    IMG_5988.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

In this photo the blue marks you see on top of the log indicate where the pith is located on each end of the log (rarely does the pith run straight through the center of the log) and serve as a guide for where to cut with the chainsaw so I can make sure all the pith is removed from the log.
    IMG_5991.JPG

Here you can see where I've cut to each side of the blue lines to remove the pith.
    IMG_5994.JPG

To each side of the pith from the middle section is what's known as quarter sawn wood and I save these pieces for smaller things like beads. The table saw is used to cut down each side of the pith leaving me with two nice pieces of QS.
    IMG_5996.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Once I have the two halves of the log cut I mark a center line following the grain. Then I mark the same distance to each side of the center to finish cutting down the blank. I just rough sketched a couple of kuksas to show where they come from in the log. I typically put the handle toward the end and keep the cup part to the center of the log.
    IMG_5998.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

And this is what my kuksa blanks look like once milled.
    IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6005.JPG

IMG_6006.JPG

From two pretty good sized logs 7-8 feet long you can see there's not that much left once it's all been milled down. Wood is special to me and I don't believe in wasting it so every usable piece is used for something or another. When I'm completely done milling all the pieces basically all that's left is bark.
    IMG_6008.JPG

These pieces are my pith/QS wood.
    IMG_6009.JPG

I wouldn't use a crotch for a kuksa but it makes some real pretty grained wood for a platter or decorative bowl. Here I'm about to split this crotch section down the middle.
    IMG_6016.JPG

It was getting dark on me by this time but hopefully you can see the beautiful grain of this crotch section after being cut down the middle.
    IMG_6017.JPG

And here you can see that all this milling makes a HUGE mess that has to be cleaned up.
    IMG_6019.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  26. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Awesome pics and processes Tim!

27. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
  28. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I've been getting more and more fed up with my automatic center punch and started to go buy an awl. Then I thought why the heck would I do that when I can make my own. Just used an old chainsaw file and a small chunk of quarter sawn oak that had checks in it and wasn't suitable for anything else. Took a couple hours to make though since I'm so dang picky! :3: It's a little long but once it's been sharpened a few times it be just about right, you can always take it off... but ya can't put it back on. :4: The handle is approx. 1 1/2" dia. and the awl portion sticks out about 3 1/2".
    Works much better than that stupid automatic punch!

IMG_6058.JPG IMG_6059.JPG IMG_6060.JPG IMG_6063.JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  29. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Very nice work Tim!

DavidJAFO and T. Pollock like this.
  30. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Finished up a hobo reel (Honey Locust) yesterday with all the latest upgrades which should make these better than ever. This one sold before ever being posted, I had forgotten about a member that had requested one months ago and he just happened to PM me this evening to ask if I had one. The blanks I bought are dry enough to use now though so I'll have more made soon.

IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6066.JPG

Quinlan, DavidJAFO, Hoof and 5 others like this.
  31. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro! I wish I had one of the texturing tools to have been able to have added a little more pazazz to it. :14:

DavidJAFO, Hoof and Broke like this.
  32. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When the osage hobo real is ready let me know, standing by, PayPal loaded...

T. Pollock likes this.
  33. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Will do bud! :dblthumb: Should be just a few days. If you wouldn't mind, post in my sales thread for the hobo reels that you've called dibs on the osage (especially since there's only one) cause my memory is terrible and that way I for sure won't forget.

Thanks,
    T

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Hoof and mjh like this.
  34. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Just to clear this up in case any of you other guys wondered what happened to the Log Cup sales thread. :) I wasn't in any way offended by the questions on the safety of the CA finish, a person doesn't know if you don't ask. :dblthumb: I simply decided I wasn't comfortable "selling" it with the CA finish because I have no positive proof that it's a food safe finish (not FDA approved) so I withdrew it and deleted the thread. I believe it was/is 100% safe but I want to be certain my integrity as a vendor or otherwise is never ever in question and decided this was the best thing to do. @Gii shi kan dug had asked about purchasing the cup but since I wasn't comfortable selling it I just gifted it to him. :4:
    Anyhoo... that's what happened to that thread. :)

Quinlan, DavidJAFO, Hoof and 4 others like this.
  35. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just received the cup and my wife snagged it. Very beautiful cup, and the finish appears very durable. Thank you very much, we will put it to good use. Now I just want a wooden hand line. (Cuban reel)

Quinlan, DavidJAFO, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  36. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Cool, hope y'all enjoy it brother!
    I've had to redo some of my dust collection system again but I should be starting back on the handlines by tomorrow.

DavidJAFO, Haggis, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  37. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Took longer to finish plumbing in the new dust collection pipes today than I had expected but it is finally finished and working great. No more flex pipes running all over the floor of the shop.

I was too tired to start on a hobo reel after finishing up the DC but thought I'd start a simple birch bowl from the crotch section of the log I just finished milling as a gift for the wife. It still needs a lot of work but I at least got it roughed out before I ran out of steam. This one has some beautiful spalting and flame/feather grain. I didn't think to measure this one before I came in but it's probably between 9-10 inch dia.

I know a bowl probably isn't something bushcrafters would want to carry to the woods (not quite like taking a kuksa) but I think we all enjoy a little traditional woodsy feel at home. Is a bowl(s) something any of you guys would be interested in purchasing?

IMG_6068.JPG IMG_6071.JPG IMG_6072.JPG IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6075.JPG

As always thanks for taking a look guys!
    T

38. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Osage Orange Hobo Reel today... @mjh

I ended up causing a small crack in it when threading but repaired the crack and I'm confident it won't ever be an issue.
    It was still wet with finish here on the lathe so it's not quite this shiny now.

IMG_6077.JPG IMG_6079.JPG IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6081.JPG

IIRC this is the first time I've ever worked with Osage Orange and I like it... I like it a lot! :4:

The sales thread photos (if it gets posted) will show the small crack and how it looks once the finish dried and the reel was waxed.

I'm still searching for a better way of threading these things cause it's a PITA!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  39. Hoof

Blog Posts:
    I don't think awls are supposed to be pretty, and I think it's not safe for consumption, so you should just gift it to a dummy who would use it anyway. I'll send my address ;)

40. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    That's what I told Nina, I said "you know this thing wouldn't have took near as long to make if I wasn't so dang picky! And why the heck I thought an awl needed to be pretty is beyond me, once it's in your hand you can't see it anyway!". She just laughed and said you can't help yourself babe. :dblthumb: I think what she really meant was that I was one of those... "special" people. :3:

Quinlan, blind & lost and DavidJAFO like this.
  41. Hoof

Blog Posts:
    Haha, 'special' is a good way to put it

42. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
  43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    The first Osage Orange Hobo Reel sold before posting it for sale guys since it had kind of been spoken for even though I don't do orders. So I'll just go ahead and show the other photos here in case anyone wants to see how the osage turned out. It has more sheen than shows up in these outdoor photos. I'm a lousy photographer. :8:
    I really like this wood!

IMG_6082.JPG IMG_6083.JPG IMG_6084.JPG IMG_6085.JPG IMG_6086.JPG

RickS, DavidJAFO, mjh and 1 other person like this.
  44. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Osage in great wood! The color and hue are changing over time eventually reaching a rich caramel color, very durable and long lasting. A hobo real to pass down to the next generation---if they can figure out what it is---I'll have to do some teaching this summer with it........sunnies off the dock in short order....

45. Finner

Finner Supporter Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hey T. What are you thinking for pricing on your bowls? When I get back from vacation in a few weeks I might be interested in a couple. Cheers

T. Pollock, MommaJ and Hoof like this.
  46. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Would love to see some photos of it in use. :4:

I'll be getting some more osage, I really like the way it turned.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Hoof likes this.
  47. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I honestly have no idea brother, I think that was only like the 3rd or 4th bowl I've ever done. Bowls just haven't been a big interest for me but for some folks that's about all they turn. If there's some interest in bowls I'll do them as economically as possible. Did you have a general size in mind?

ETA: I've got to make me a vacuum chuck so that I can finish the bottom of that one but when it's finished I'll post a couple more pics of how it turned out. I'll be surprised if this one doesn't end up with checks/cracks since it was from a crotch and still had some pith in it. This one is just for looks rather than food use though so no biggie if it does.

DavidJAFO and Hoof like this.
  48. Finner

Finner Supporter Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    Just your average soup/cereal size I suppose

Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  49. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Do you think you would carry one to the woods with you or just use them at home?
    I didn't figure a bowl would be something most guys would carry to the woods with them but I may be 100% wrong... it sure wouldn't be the first time! :dblthumb:

Finner and Hoof like this.
  50. Hoof

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago I knapped a dozen or so points from several different materials. Having an appealing way to set them out was difficult until my wife put them in a wooden bowl on the coffee table. Perfect!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    blind & lost, Finner and T. Pollock like this.