In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thought you folks might enjoy some shop/WIP photos now & then.

A "would have been nice" spalted beech YoYo reel that will now go in the burn pit after my 1" drill bit caught it and took it away from me and tore a big chunk out of it. :8:
    Yep I know better than to not have it clamped. :dblthumb:

IMG_5833.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Keyser Söze, Hoof, dub and 4 others like this.
  2. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    At least it is a chunk out of wood, not your hand!

hamanky and T. Pollock like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very True! :)

dub likes this.
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Second attempt today is spalted maple. Here's a little WIP. Same basic dimensions as the GAW prototype but a little less angle on the front lip of the reel. Same hole in the side for set it and forget it fishing but added a through hole into one of the center holes (forgot to get a photo of it) on this one for line attachment. This one when finished will be going out to @dub for R&D. :dblthumb:

IMG_5815.JPG IMG_5816.JPG IMG_5818.JPG IMG_5820.JPG IMG_5823.JPG IMG_5825.JPG IMG_5826.JPG IMG_5828.JPG IMG_5829.JPG

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's the line attachment through hole and the set it and forget it hole.

IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5842.JPG

If I want to continue to use these beautiful spalted woods it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to invest in a wood stabilizing setup. The majority of it is just too soft to turn... the more spalting = the softer the wood.

Broke, Keyser Söze, Hoof and 4 others like this.
  6. Bitterfists

Bitterfists Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just trim the busted side off the first one. Then market it as a marble organizer or desktop fidget toy.

dub and T. Pollock like this.
  7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL that would work. :dblthumb:

8. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    That first one looks like another GAW to me. But I don't even know how to use one.

T. Pollock likes this.
  9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I thought about it but I'd rather GAW one that's not busted up. :dblthumb: I made a mess outta that one. o_O

Hoof likes this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Picked up over $800 in parts today for brakes on my tractor (who knew tractor parts were so expensive!!! :eek:) and started on it so nothing accomplished in the shop today but I did receive a box of goodies for future hobo reels.

L-R
    2- white ash
    2- cedar
    4- honey locust
    1- elm
    1- osage orange

IMG_5921.JPG

I'll get better pics later. I'm exhausted, that tractor whooped my behind today and I'm no where near finished installing the new brakes

Broke, Keyser Söze, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's what the hobo reel woods I bought look like after putting them in the round.

Pretty disappointed in this wood. Being "spindle blanks" I expected it to be dry if not kiln dried. After taking the plastic off I realized it was all waxed (plastic should have been a clue) so this wood is green & some very wet! Went back to the site I ordered it from and at the bottom of the page it was in the "tiny print" at the bottom... imagine that. :eek: My fault, should have read the fine print! Put it all in the round to get rid of the wax and help speed the drying.

L-R same order as above on the species.

IMG_5928.JPG

Front to back opposite of above... osage orange being in the foreground.
    IMG_5927.JPG

dub, Keyser Söze, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Another Carve-A-Kuksa in the works. This is another one from birch and it has some really cool flame pattern (slightly visible in the top photo) grain to it. A little bigger than the last one, this holds a little over 12oz to the rim. In a couple of the photos it had been wetted with alcohol to make the grain pop. Thought some of you guys might like to see how one mounts on the lathe.

IMG_5933.JPG IMG_5935.JPG IMG_5936.JPG IMG_5937.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    Hoof, T MAC and dub like this.
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    A little more work and after a couple of days of drying and me watching it closely, if there are no issues this one will be listed.

Hoof and Broke like this.