In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's another one I started to try to fill an order. In the first photo the cherry blank is sitting an a big ole maple burl that I plan to make a Big Ole (approx 15") Beautiful Maple burl bowl from. :dblthumb: The cherry is from a tree crotch and has some really nice grain/figure color and character. These are the last two pieces of figured wood that I have so I'll be on the hunt for some more of these rare pieces.

IMG_7553.JPG IMG_7554.JPG IMG_7555.JPG IMG_7556.JPG IMG_7557.JPG IMG_7558.JPG

2. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Busy beaver!

Hoof, snowmangoinmo and T. Pollock like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Indeed! Honestly busier than I care to be... I is wo out. :confused:

Hoof, snowmangoinmo and blind & lost like this.
  4. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
  5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    More progress on the cherry crotch bowl... along side it's little maple brother from another mother. :dblthumb:

I think I need to clean my camera lens (which I've never done) , these photos look fuzzy to me. I guess it's kinda rough on a camera to keep it in a wood shop. :33:
    IMG_5930.JPG IMG_5931.JPG IMG_5932.JPG IMG_5933.JPG

ExAF1N1, JoeJ, blind & lost and 2 others like this.
  6. snowmangoinmo

snowmangoinmo Hunter/Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man those look awesome! These should be going for a mint...:cool: These look like they belong in a art gallery...:33: Nice work brother!! :35: :dblthumb:

7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly brother! These aren't the typical woods bowl that's for sure. :dblthumb: I haven't used the texturing tool in a good while so I was a bit nervous using it as it takes some practice to get use to. It's a fun thing to do though on the right project and does add quite the flare! :)

snowmangoinmo, blind & lost and Hoof like this.
  8. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That's another beauty. Do I need to set the price for you or can you handle that, don't forget that you have to pay the shop monkey too ;)

9. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    More quality work Tim!

10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I might need your help, you know pricing has always been my weakness. :dblthumb:

Thank you brother! Hope you guys are having a good time... stay safe.

11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Yep time to quit taking orders, my indoor work table is full. :4: :dblthumb:

This is my little table where I keep projects that are drying, do shipping, etc.
    IMG_7559.JPG IMG_7562.JPG IMG_7566.JPG

12. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    When are you going to do some work....?:6::4:

snowmangoinmo, Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    One of these days. :3:

14. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    Very beautiful wood art there brother...:11::35: I agree with Hoof, Don't forget the shop monkey!:33: ;)

15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother! It's true that I usually fail to account for everything I should account for. I guess I just try not to think too much about the bottom line because I love what I do.

snowmangoinmo, Hoof and blind & lost like this.
  16. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    Hey, Just messin with ya;) I do or I should say we do the same also in our biz....:) Hard to do sometimes... Just do not stop to think about it a min. As long as your happy thats all that matters!:D

T. Pollock likes this.
  17. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Oh I know you were just teasing brother. You and Hoof made me actually use my brain there for a second though... heck that could be dangerous! :4:
    Me is happy doin' what me do. :dblthumb:

Hoof and snowmangoinmo like this.
  18. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love the smaller bowl! And the kuksas are awesome :)

19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Hannah! I got another kuksa roughed out today ( part of an order for @JoeJ ) . None of these last several I've shown are a Carve-A-Kuksa, they'll all be finished so they still have a lot of work to be done to them yet.

IMG_7568.JPG IMG_7569.JPG

20. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    What time I was able to spend in the shop yesterday was spent getting bead blanks ready to turn. Bead turning is about as exciting and time consuming both as watching grass grow! :dblthumb:

The only way to make any time at all is to do them in batches.
    Beech, Cherry, Walnut and Osage Orange blanks.

IMG_7571.JPG

Hoof, blind & lost and snowmangoinmo like this.
  21. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    If you get a chance it would be neat to see you making beads brother... Have never witnessed that before...:dblthumb:

blind & lost and T. Pollock like this.
  22. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    Although it sounds like it is time consuming... Just thought I would ask....;)

23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Maybe doing beads isn't so boring after all... I ended up with a stab wound from a skew chisel today doing beads. :34: :dblthumb:

I had just sharpened it up razor sharp and stupidly got a catch. It kicked the chisel back and then the pressure I was applying to it drove it right back into my hand. Thankfully it was only to my non dominate hand's pinky finger. Sorry no bloody pics guys . Washed it out with alcohol then filled it with neosporin and pulled it tight with a couple of bandaids. It's now wearing a condom :4: (finger protector thingy) over the bandaids... ya know always practice safe first aid and stuff. :9:

24. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL yeah today would have been a good day to be filming... check my post above. :4:

ETA:
    Be glad to do that, I haven't posted a video in a while and need to do one anyway.

25. pellegrino

pellegrino Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ouch! Stay safe, brother. We like you better in one piece. ;) Hope you heal up quickly.

26. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother! I like me better in one piece too. :4:

27. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Man Tim! I haven't been on here much since school started and I had to travel most of my summer. I had to go back quite a few pages to see all the awesome stuff you have been pumping out. That's some really nice stuff!

28. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother! Don't be such a stranger. :3:

29. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Yesterday was just one of those days... I'd have been better off if I'd just stayed in the house! :dblthumb:

After stabbing myself with the skew chisel and bandaging that up I took a break for awhile. Then I decided since I had one more thing to make to fill all my orders and I'd go back for a bit. I needed to make a couple of cherry spoons and had this one on the lathe to turn the inside of the bowl.

IMG_7572.JPG

Everything was trucking right along and then BAM! :eek: I'm not sure exactly how I managed to be so stupid :33: as to get my left hand (the one I stabbed earlier by the way) in the way of the spinning handle... but I did. :8: :confused:
    Broke the spoon (across the grain by the way) when it hit the index finger (which just happened to be the part of my hand facing up) of my left hand.:34::11: Ouch!!!
    I don't remember what the RPMs were running at the time but it was enough to snap the spoon into!
    IMG_7573.JPG

Hoping for a better day today! :51:

30. kronin323

kronin323 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ouch. At least you quit before whatever would have been #3 happened...

31. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for your troubles, know when to say when, as above, glad you stopped after #2.

32. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    Boy brother you better be careful!!:11:

33. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys! Trying to be more careful today. Some days I'm not 100% and don't realize it... part of the curse of narcolepsy. Got another one cut out and chucked up in the lathe earlier. Decided I'd take a break before turning it and I guess it's a good thing I did, less than 30 minutes after going in the house I was horizontal and just woke back up. :dblthumb:

34. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Apologies if you've answered this before but I've been wondering how narcolepsy and woodworking mixed. Seems like working a lathe would be a really unfortunate time to nod off. Do you have enough warning that a spell is coming to shut down and go inside?

snowmangoinmo and T. Pollock like this.
  35. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    No worries brother, I try not to talk about it too much online so I'll try to keep it short. Things have been a little different here lately than normal (for me). When I was first diagnosed they put me on meds for it. That was a double edged sword. It made me more alert for the most part during the day but it was hard for me to tell when an attack was coming on, and when it did, it was hard and fast. I was still working at that time and it was getting super dangerous because I was a heavy equipment mechanic. I was going unconscious while working under tractor trailer rigs, dozers etc. When I lost my job due to the narcolepsy I of course lost my health insurance too and couldn't afford the medication (over $1,000 a month) so for years I didn't take any. Not taking the medication in a way for me was better. I had more narc attacks but at least I could tell when they were coming on, most of the time 30 minutes or more before hand. I decided recently since I have insurance now to go back to a neurologist to see if there were any new advancements in treatment. Unfortunately there still is nothing they can do :( other than medications that don't stop it... they just change the way it happens and the frequency of them. I've tried several different medicines over the last 3-4 months so everything has been kinda out of whack :11: from what I had gotten use to over the years.
    Since going back on the meds I have had numerous occasions where I've went unconscious without realizing it... which is scary as heck!!! I'm having fewer of them... but! I'm probably not going to continue to take the meds even though I know I'll have attacks more frequently. I just discovered an issue with my insurance when I went to refill the prescription the other day and I'm not going to be able to afford the medication anyway.

Hope that explains a little bit. To answer your question as short as possible. :dblthumb: Yes it's dangerous running a lathe having narcolepsy but that's really all I have left that I can do, I won't give it up willingly. :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Hoof, snowmangoinmo, JoeJ and 2 others like this.
  36. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I guess I should have also explained that my narcolepsy is somewhat different from how it is for other folks with it. Mine was caused by a brain injury (electrical shock to the head) rather than genetics (if that's the right word). Numerous doctors told me for years that it wasn't possible for that to have been the cause... until I finally found one doctor that was smart enough to unequivocally prove the other ones WRONG. I of course knew the whole time... but convincing them was no easy task! :dblthumb:

37. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Gotcha. Thanks for sharing and best wishes.

snowmangoinmo and T. Pollock like this.
  38. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're super welcome brother. Thank you! It's a challenging life but we all have to do the best we can with the hand we've been dealt and I recon we all have struggles.

39. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Well I managed to finish turning the beads and the spoons today without further injury... which is always a good thing. :dblthumb:

IMG_7586.JPG IMG_7590.JPG IMG_7594.JPG IMG_7595.JPG IMG_7596.JPG

40. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Nice work, that spoon is cool.

41. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother! I think these with the crook/offset look better than the straight handle ones I did.

Hoof, snowmangoinmo and blind & lost like this.
  42. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    I agree they do.

43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately they are harder to make this way and take twice the amount of wood.

blind & lost likes this.
  44. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Finished up these 3 kuksas for @snowmangoinmo today. 4oz & 6oz from spalted Birch & 12oz from Cherry.

IMG_5945.JPG IMG_5946.JPG IMG_5947.JPG IMG_5949.JPG IMG_5950.JPG IMG_5952.JPG IMG_5953.JPG

45. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
  46. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  47. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    Very excellent brother those are awesome!!!!:dblthumb::11:

48. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks fellas!!!

blind & lost and buckfynn like this.
  49. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Birch Bush Bottle #3 is nearing completion. :dblthumb: These are just cell phone photos didn't want to have to get the big camera out.

Turning the mortise/recess for the base insert.
    IMG_5962.JPG IMG_5964.JPG

Base insert epoxied in and being held by the lathe until it dries.
    IMG_5965.JPG IMG_5967.JPG

Neck cut to length, sanded and the first coat of tung oil applied.
    IMG_7602.JPG IMG_7603.JPG IMG_7604.JPG IMG_7605.JPG

50. blind & lost

Blog Posts: