In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother, she's quite a looker!!! :4:

2. snowmangoinmo

snowmangoinmo Hunter/Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes she is...lol

M.Hatfield, Quinlan and blind & lost like this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The oak and birch blanks in the shop were cat calling her as I brought her out of the shop, had to tell them to back off and show a little R.E.S.P.E.C.T! :4:

4. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    LMAO Thats to funny!!!:18: Good one!!

M.Hatfield, Quinlan and T. Pollock like this.
  5. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Just turned my largest bowl to date, 12" ID & 13" OD.

This is what woodturners refer to as the "money bowl". :dblthumb: The biggest bowl they get from a log (usually one that's been cored) they call their money bowl because the bigger the bowl the bigger the price it will bring.

The lighter in the photos is a full sized Bic to give some size reference.
    IMG_8193.JPG IMG_8195.JPG IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8201.JPG IMG_8202.JPG IMG_8205.JPG

8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    After applying sanding sealer.

IMG_8215.JPG IMG_8217.JPG IMG_8218.JPG IMG_8219.JPG IMG_8220.JPG IMG_8222.JPG IMG_8223.JPG

9. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,
    She most definitely is a beauty and now I can officially start the drooling sessions, until I get her in my hands!

Awesome work and the end result with the tung oil, it's like an out-of-body experience!

Thank you @T. Pollock!

Regards,

Christos

10. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    That is one very nice looking bowl!!:11: I must say that is also big for sure! Nice job on that WW!!:35: Really like the color and grain also!!:dblthumb:

11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother! The grain isn't anything spectacular on this one but that's cool, this one will likely be a keeper anyway since it's the largest I've turned to date.

13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's another little short video to show the whopper. :dblthumb:

14. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    LOL well I like it... ;)

15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Oh I think it's pretty, I've just kinda got spoiled :dblthumb: to finding pieces that have something special about them for folks. Every piece of wood can't have something spectacular about it though, some are just plain jane like me. :3:

This one will be an art bowl rather than a utility bowl so it won't have a tung oil finish.

16. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah you have done some really awesome stuff grain wise... I know! I have a few of those pieces from you...lol quite a few.... You have a great evening brother!!:)

17. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Indeed you do :dblthumb: and I thank you brother!!!

18. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    A Super Bowl two Sundays in a row! I can't imagine the amount of time and work which goes into something that nice.

19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL Never thought about that, :dblthumb: thank you brother! Lots and lots and lots of time! I would do a full length video start to finish on one but it would be so long nobody would watch it and for probably 99.9% of folks it would be totally boring.

20. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    If you ever wondered what it takes for me to make a kuksa... here's some of the many steps in the process.

After the blanks have been milled it's time for measuring & layout.
    IMG_8226.JPG

It takes 6 cuts to get the handle shape cut out.
    IMG_8227.JPG

Numerous relief cuts to make it easier on my blade when using the bandsaw circle jig. You can see the pin the blank rotates on (while on the jig) in the far blank in this photo.
    IMG_8228.JPG

Mounted on the jig and ready to cut.
    IMG_8229.JPG

After cutting on the circle jig.
    IMG_8232.JPG

This is how much scrap wood I have just from these two kuksa blanks. Plenty to heat the shop for the night if I had a wood stove.
    IMG_8233.JPG

Last bandsaw cut is the radius for the end of the handle. If these were going to be finished kuksas rather than Carve-A-Kuksas I would also cut each side of the handle to shape at this time.
    IMG_8234.JPG

2" mortise drilled with a forstner bit to be able to mount the blank on the lathe chuck.
    IMG_8235.JPG

Finally... after all that it gets mounted on the lathe and ready to turn. I didn't think to photo the turning but it should be pretty obvious. First I turn the outside to shape and form a tenon on the bottom. Then it's reversed, mounted in the chuck by the tenon and the inside is turned. If it's a Carve-A-Kuksa as this one is the inside gets turned to at least 220 grit after turning.
    IMG_8236.JPG

After the turning and sanding is done it's finally time for the tung oil soak and finding out what the capacity of the kuksa is using the tung oil. If you notice the front of the kuksa you can see where the tung oil has penetrated through the end grain and has begun to weep to the outside surface. I let them soak until I'm confident all the end grain has been completely sealed by the tung oil.
    IMG_8237.JPG

That's all for now folks. :dblthumb:

21. snowmangoinmo

Blog Posts:
    That is very cool and informative explanation and photo illustration of the process brother!! Thanks for sharing all this with us!! I had no idea the process in making a kuksa like you do... Very interesting!!!

22. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're super welcome brother! I enjoy sharing and helping others that might be interested in doing one for themselves or just those that find the process interesting either one.

23. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thanks for another tutorial, I like them a lot and part of the enjoyment of drinking from one of your kuksas is that I will know what it took to make it. ;)

If I ever get the space to have a workshop, a lathe will be in the plans, good to know the steps in that case. As for the latter, I do find the process interesting. :)

Regards,

Christos

24. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Tim,
    It's always interesting to see the process you use to make your products. It's a good thing you don't work in a factory and are paid by piecework! They would probably expect you to produce several hundred per day, which would be impossible with the craftsmanship you put into your work. Thanks for the visuals.
    Steve

25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the kind words brothers! That for sure makes the effort to photograph and share the process worth it. As long as I know people enjoy seeing it I'll keep sharing.

26. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I could never do production turning as some folks do, I take too much pride in my work. That's also another reason I don't much like taking orders, I prefer to just do one piece at a time and not feel rushed so I can have all the artistic freedom I want/need. Unfortunately you've heard the term "starving artist" though LOL :dblthumb: and they sure don't give these tools away! :)

27. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius

Blog Posts:
    I thought in Tennessee you guys just borrow/steal the tools from a neighbor

28. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Shhhhhh :27: :4:

29. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    :18::54::35:

30. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just watched your youtube of your new breathing apparatus, Tim. Is it doing it's intended job?

31. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir, wonderfully! I guess I should post that video here as well for those that might not see it in the other thread.

32. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    If anyone is interested in watching, here's a video of me turning one of my whiskey barrel tumblers. No talking in the video it's just me trying out the new respirator (thanks to the amazing kindness and generosity of the members here!!!) while turning a barrel. The respirator works amazing and is completely comfortable to wear!

33. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Some barrels that are in the works.

IMG_8639.JPG IMG_8640.JPG IMG_8641.JPG IMG_8642.JPG IMG_8644.JPG

34. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Finished the above barrels, now leak testing them.

After not being able to do any turning for 4-6 weeks due to the shop upgrades and reorganizing I was rusty! Took me a bit to get back in the groove.

IMG_8645.JPG IMG_8646.JPG IMG_8647.JPG

35. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Jack Daniels needs their order just up the road!:4:

36. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    They'd be in a world of hurt if I was their supplier. :dblthumb: I've watched some videos of their barrel making process, super cool!

37. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Some time back @kronin323 asked me about making him a large bowl from a burl or some other interesting piece of wood. I've been saving this big ole chunk of maple IIRC for over a year waiting on a special project. I thought... and hoped it was a burl but once I cut it opened it revealed that it wasn't "technically" a burl. It is however a very interesting piece of wood with some nice figure due to some growth abnormalities. At 14.5" this is the largest piece I've turned to date and due to the abnormalities it was quite a challenge to turn. I'll share some photos of the process and give as much detail as I can. I video taped me turning it but the video is quite long so it would be a pain to edit and I'm not sure how much interest there would be in seeing it. If you would like to see the video let me know and if there's enough interest I'll edit and post it.

Here's a photo of how it's turned out so far. I'll share the other photos here shortly.
    IMG_8670.JPG

38. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow, some nice spalting in there, too... looking forward to seeing how things progress...

39. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's how it all started. :3:

I flattened off the rough cut from where it was removed from the tree and used a compass to draw a circle and find out approximately how big of a bowl it would make. Here it's showing about 15-1/2" but of course you lose a little bit roughing out the bowl.
    IMG_8648.JPG

Outside look at the piece before trimming.
    IMG_8651.JPG

This piece had at least three piths in it. Apparently some of the limbs had either died or had been trimmed off the tree and then the outer bark grew back over them as they weren't visible from the outside. If you look just off center and slightly to the right of center you can see where one of these that had gotten grown over were inside the log. Just in front of that you can see a second one right beside the tape measure. This came off the side of the tree so that one isn't the center pith of the tree.
    IMG_8652.JPG

Unfortunately where these limbs/pith had died they left big voids inside the log as you can see here once the back side of the log was trimmed away. Big one on the left and a smaller one to the right that got bigger the deeper into the log it went.
    IMG_8657.JPG
    Corners trimmed off with the chainsaw to save a little time on the lathe and make it a little more balanced since at 15-1/2" this was quite the chunk of wood.
    IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

Mounted on the lathe by a 3-1/2" mortise drilled in the top using a forstner bit. I know it's hard to estimate size from a photo but my lathe is BIG and that's a BIG Ole chunk of wood! :dblthumb:
    IMG_8663.JPG

40. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Tailstock up for support and I started turning at only about 300 rpm for safety. If this much weight comes flying off the lathe and hits you it's gonna leave a mark!!! :eek:

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

Close up of one of those limbs/pith and to the right you can see where it had rotted out.
    IMG_8666.JPG

Close up of one of the other limbs/pith. These large voids inside the blank made turning it a bit hazardous and a bit scary. I had to work my way through these voids revealing more and more exactly how deep and where they went with each pass of the gouge. Hoping and praying when I got through them I'd still be able to get a decent bowl/shape with what I had left to work with.
    IMG_8667.JPG

Thankfully... I was still able to get a 14-1/2" bowl from the log.
    IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

With numerous piths running through the blank ending up with checking was inevitable. Sometimes that's just the price you have to pay to get awesome figure in a piece. I didn't get any photos after working on the checks but they were all filled with CA glue to help prevent them from going any further/deeper. It's now wrapped in plastic and setting in the house to dry. With the checking that was going on twice turning this one wasn't an option. When it's finished it won't be perfect by any means, most natural things aren't. What it will be... is beautiful! :)
    IMG_8670.JPG

41. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I may have mentioned once upon a time that in shop class I learned how to use all the woodworking tools power tools (and a lot of manual ones) except one, the lathe. I still have never used one, find it intimidating.

One of the things I find most challenging as I mentally work my way through something like this is that first bit, when you have an odd shape of wood turning and you're cutting it down to a true round. From there is seems more straightforward, the blade biting into the wood with a fairly consistent drag, but that first part where the blade is constantly engaging and disengaging from the wood as it spins around and the protrusions hit, trying to maintain control while that's going on seems very challenging.

42. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    It is indeed brother, and kinda rough on the arms too. If it's something small to where you can spin it fast you have less airtime and it's not nearly as bad. At 300 rpm with something this size it's quite a whop when those corners connect. :dblthumb: If you're ever up this way come see me, I'll teach you how to run a lathe and we'll share a campfire.

43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Well after 6 hrs of editing I finally got the 1 hr & 42 mins of video of turning the above bowl whittled down to under 40 min if anyone cares to see it. I decided it would be another something of me my grandkids can watch to see/remember what Pawpaw loved to do once I'm gone so it was worth the effort.

44. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very cool, Tim.

45. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I'm not really a long video guy but obviously I have some personal investment in this one and I watched it. And I'm glad I did, I think I'd have found it fascinating even without the personal attachment.

That void on the outside, that looked like a killer. Not only to the piece of wood but the risk while trying to lathe it down. It's amazing how that turned out.

Then that close call with the loose chuck about halfway through the vid, whew...

I had heard mention of your new respirator but that's the first I've seen it. Looks like an awesome piece of gear, bet it really makes a difference.

Thanks for sharing all this process.

46. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Wow, thanks for sharing.

47. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for watching and the kind words brothers!

Those voids definitely made it risky to turn but if care is taken it can be done safely. All the vibration from the voids is what caused the chuck and jaws to come loose... I should have been keeping a closer eye on it! This video is a good example of why I don't turn sometimes and why it's difficult for me to take orders and fill them consistently, with the narcolepsy I have to wait until I'm certain my mind is clear enough to do it safely. I felt good that day but it's so easy to make a mistake like not checking the chuck often enough. I've always been super fascinated with turning and it never gets old! Doing a piece like this is kind of like a treasure hunt, you just have to remove all the waste to find the gold inside. I absolutely love it! :)

48. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I was in the shop doing a little work this evening and saw a chunk of cherry I had set back a few months ago to make me a froe whopper (wooden mallet) out of. :dblthumb: Every now & then I just need to turn something for fun and this was one of those projects. The log had some pretty serious cracks in it (I forgot to seal the ends) and I could have chose a different piece of wood but I thought... what the heck, I'll see what I can do with it. I'm gonna beat the heck out of it anyway so the cracks really didn't matter to me. I didn't sand it or put any finish on it, didn't really see much need in it for it's purpose. If it breaks I'll just make myself another one. :dblthumb:

The head is 7" X 4-1/2" and the handle is 6" long, total weight ended up being 3.8 pounds. A quick and fun little project.
    IMG_8672.JPG IMG_8675.JPG IMG_8676.JPG IMG_8677.JPG IMG_8678.JPG IMG_8679.JPG IMG_8684.JPG IMG_8685.JPG

And by my froe which the whopper will be used for. Now that I'm burning wood for heat in the shop the froe will I'm sure see plenty of use making kindling.
    IMG_8686.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  49. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Nice Tim, don't let your wife find it if you've been a bad boy!:eek::4:

50. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'm always a Bad Bad Boy and unfortunately she already knows it. :4: