In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's what the 14.5" bowl looks like after the checks have been filled.

IMG_8689.JPG

The bottom/base didn't have any checks in it but it's hard to get a smooth cut sometimes with spalted wood (especially when you can't spin it fast!) so on the bottom the CA is basically just being used as grain filler. It'll stiffen up those fibers and allow me to get a clean finish cut when it's put back on the lathe.
    IMG_8690.JPG IMG_8691.JPG IMG_8692.JPG

And a little size comparison of it next to some 6-9 inch bowls... it dwarfs a normal size bowl! :dblthumb:
    IMG_8693.JPG

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    ArmyMacE, Quinlan, pellegrino and 4 others like this.
  2. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

For those that haven't seen my work before it probably looks pretty rough at this stage. :11: Just hold on for the ride and trust me, she'll be a stunner when she's done! :dblthumb:

4. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What's that dark one center top rack?

5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Walnut burl.

6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Just finished uploading pt 2 of turning the 14.5" spalted maple bowl if anyone would like to watch. This one is much shorter at 15 min.

7. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Watched and enjoyed your video. Never realized how large the gouging tools were, and that sanding sealer is awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing Tim.:dblthumb:

8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for watching brother! Yeah some of my gouges are about 3' in length including the handle. None of these were that long though, the scraper I was using is about 2' long but the camera angle probably makes it appear longer. Most folks don't use sanding sealer that early in a project but my sight isn't what it use to be (not to mention poor lighting in the shop) so a light coat of sanding sealer really makes things show up so I can better see what I need to do. That coat of sanding sealer will all be sanded away btw. It's kinda like color sanding a car if you've ever done any auto body work before. When you start sanding after applying it any low spots will remain shiny so you know you have to concentrate on all the dull places until all the shiny is gone. :dblthumb: Hope that makes sense.

9. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Makes sense, thanks for explaining. A good day I learned something, now if I can remember...

Quinlan, snowmangoinmo and T. Pollock like this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're super welcome brother!

11. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to turning wood, most everything you do seems to make sense. Looks awesome!

12. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Looking great!

You know, sometimes in that vid we see a bit of a stroboscopic effect, like with spinning fan blades or car wheels. I'm guessing that's just from the camera, in real life it just looks like speed blur?

Also, right at the end, after you applied the sanding sealer then were slowly turning it, I got hit by the "hollow face" optical illusion where the concave inside of the bowl suddenly appeared to be convex, bulging out towards me... freaky...

Quinlan, snowmangoinmo and T. Pollock like this.
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother! I am working on your bottle, just no videos of it but I promise I'm making progress. :dblthumb:

Quinlan, snowmangoinmo and Stringer like this.
  14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Seriously? Wow that is freaky! I didn't notice anything but I'll have to go back and look. Being legally blind in one eye I may not see the same affect as you do though (3D stuff doesn't work for me because of it). My lighting in the shop is really terribly for recording video, that's something I've got to work on if I ever get the shop back organized. I know from watching other turners videos sometimes it can appear that the piece is turning slowly when it's actually turning very fast and sometimes it can appear to be spinning the wrong direction or changing directions. I've always figured it was from the amount of reflection given by different spots on the piece but I don't know for sure that's what causes it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    @kronin323 I went back and watched and I can for sure see what I think you're describing as the strobe effect. To me it makes it look like the bowl is spinning backwards. I'm honestly not sure if you get the same effect in person or not, I'm always concentrating so much on the cut that I'm never seeing the whole thing at once while turning. I couldn't see the "hollow face" or convex you described at the end, probably because of my sight issues. Neat stuff, but then again I love everything about turning... well maybe everything except sanding. :dblthumb:

16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Just uploaded part 3 of turning the 14.5 inch spalted maple bowl if anyone would like to watch.

17. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Wow... the contrasts in that piece are really starting to come out... beautiful!

Thanks again for doing all this documentation of the process.

Near the beginning you said something about not knowing what's more boring to watch than sanding... my answer is.... golf. I'd rather watch sanding over golf any day... :D

Quinlan, T. Pollock and blind & lost like this.
  18. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL I agree! :dblthumb:

It looks much better in person than in the video with lousy lighting, I promise. One of these days I'll finish getting the shop organized and work on the lighting and a camera boom so I can get better angles.
    You're very welcome brother, I enjoy sharing.

blind & lost, Quinlan and kronin323 like this.
  19. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

@T. Pollock, more awesome work and beautiful creations since the last time I touched base!

I am glad the breathing apparatus is making a difference. I want you to keep on turning. :)

Regards,

Christos

20. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother! The respirator has made all the difference in the world and I have all the amazingly kind and generous folks here to thank for that!!! I've racked my brain trying to think of a better or more sufficient way to say thank you but wording things isn't my strong suit. The only way I know to show how much I appreciated the help is to keep turning beautiful pieces of wood and offer them as cheaply as I can. And secondly to continue to teach/share whatever I can that might be of help to other wood workers. Freely I recieved, freely I shall give! :)

21. Rich V

Rich V Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tim, very nice work!

T. Pollock likes this.
  22. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I finally finished up the 14.5 inch maple bowl. Seems for the last couple of months my brain & body both only want to operate at turtle speed but I finally crossed the finish line. :dblthumb:

IMG_6230.JPG IMG_6231.JPG IMG_6232.JPG IMG_6233.JPG IMG_6234.JPG IMG_6235.JPG IMG_6236.JPG IMG_6237.JPG

ArmyMacE, kronin323 and pellegrino like this.
  24. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    IMG_6246.JPG IMG_6247.JPG IMG_6248.JPG IMG_6249.JPG IMG_6251.JPG

I'll have the final video up later this evening once I get it edited and uploaded.

ArmyMacE, kronin323 and pellegrino like this.
  25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Here's pt 4 (the last part) of the video of the 14.5" figured & spalted maple bowl if any of you guys would like to see how it came out. This video is real short. It was really cloudy out when I took the photos so it actually shows the bowl better in the video than the photos do.

ArmyMacE and kronin323 like this.
  26. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Looks great, can't wait to get my hands on it.

I have to thank you again, it's been a real pleasure being able to watch this thing go from a raw chunk of wood to the finished product. There's lots of makers out there making stuff to order, but how many of their customers can say they got it watch it being made most every step along the way? Very, very few. I feel privileged.

T. Pollock and Otterstop like this.
  27. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're very welcome brother! I enjoy bringing customers along for the journey as much as I possibly can. To me it makes the item much more personal for them if they can actually see it being made.