In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    LOL which one, your brother or I?

2. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I normally prefer Carter Hall but I'm out. I did at least quit smoking cigs, haven't had one since July 4th. :)

3. Stringer

Stringer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd as soon take up Camels again as smoke Prince Albert. Doesn't smell too bad in the pouch, but out of the pipe, whoee!
    Hang in there with quitting smoking. If you're like me, I couldn't have one cigarette, or I'd be back to 2 packs.
    Try something for me. See how long you can hold your breath. If you're still not smoking in 4 months , try again.

When I was smoking I could hold my breath for about 35 seconds.
    In 4 months after quitting I was up to a minute and a half. If no severe damage is done it seems to clean up quite quickly.
    Granted, I was a little younger then.
    Let's see, in 94 I was 40 when I quit.
    So, I'm thinking you're a little older than that, right?
    So you may not have quite as good an improvement, lol.
    And on the brighter side, think how much money you're saving by quitting cigarettes.
    For a year my wife set aside what I would have spent on cigarettes as incentive. They were a little cheaper back then than now, right?
    When I quit a carton of Camel straights was $12.00.
    A little higher now, right?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL I don't mind the smell at all and the wife says it's much better than the cig smoke. I quit once before for about 3 months and foolishly started back but I'm absolutely determined to stay off of them this time. I'm the same way, I can't have a single cig or I'd start smoking all over again. The pipe is different for me, I don't crave it and can take it or leave it.
    How long I could hold mine right now would be pathetic. That's one of the main reasons for quitting, I get winded extremely easily.
    Yep I'm 54 now.
    I'll be saving for sure but maybe not as much as you did.
    I've been doing the roll your own for a number of years which is much cheaper than buying by the pack or carton.
    I don't even know what a pack costs now but I'm sure they're crazy expensive. I thought the cost was outrageous when I started the RYO several years ago. :dblthumb:

ETA: 56 seconds, I'm surprised it was that long. If you'll help me remember I'll try again in 4 months.

5. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great pictures Tim, as a former pipe smoker, they were very interesting. I quit smoking cigarettes @25 years ago, and I inhaled my pipe, so I don't dare even smoke that. I'm happy you quit smoking and are getting out in your shop. I see great things ahead for you, blessings!

6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I did some more carving last night. This is as close as I'll carve, from here the sanding will start. One thing I love about turning is the artistic freedom it gives me to shape a project into whatever I feel it needs to be or what the wood wants to be according to the grain patterns etc. Shaping to a specific shape such as this pipe (shooting for the apple shaped design with this one) has always been very difficult for me. I'm legally blind in one eye so my lack of depth perception makes shooting for a specific shape difficult. Sanding will remove the material much slower and will allow me to sneak up on the shape I need more carefully... I hope. :dblthumb: Big Red (my 2x72 belt grinder) as I mentioned is un-assembled and put away and too much trouble to assemble and bring back to the shop for one pipe. I'm out of sanding belts for my 1x42 sander, so I haven't decided yet what sander/method I'll use just yet.

I didn't get photos of this part and forgot to mention it above but I did use a Delrin tenon for this pipe. Delrin is a slicker material than vulcanite which makes it easier to insert and remove the stem with less chance of breaking off the tenon.

The pencil lines you may notice on the front of the bowl are just shape guide lines for me while I was carving.
    IMG_8936.JPG IMG_8937.JPG IMG_8938.JPG IMG_8939.JPG IMG_8940.JPG IMG_8941.JPG

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  8. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Looking great Brother!

9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Jonah! I've got some more photos I'll post here shortly once I get them uploaded to the computer.

10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Decided I'd do the sanding with a disk mounted on the lathe. Started with 120 grit.
    IMG_8943.JPG IMG_8944.JPG

At this point I decided the proportions just weren't right for the apple pipe shape and that some needed to come off the top. With no way to chuck the pipe back up I had to figure out an alternative way of mounting it so I could turn some off the top of the pipe. I got the pipe centered between my sanding disk (which drove it) and a live center and very carefully trimmed it down until I thought the proportions were right.
    IMG_8950.JPG IMG_8951.JPG

After that I switched to 180 grit on the disk.
    IMG_8953.JPG IMG_8954.JPG IMG_8955.JPG

11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Switched to a soft 2" disc to do some blending and to be able to better sand around where the shank and bowl join. The blue tape is to protect the area of the shank that's already turned to the proper size from getting accidentally hit with the sander.
    IMG_8956.JPG IMG_8957.JPG

All the power sanding is now done. All the remaining sanding will have to be done by hand.
    IMG_8958.JPG IMG_8960.JPG IMG_8964.JPG

The pipe will get a contrast stain. This serves two purposes, #1 it highlights all the grain patterns in the briar and makes them show up much more vibrantly. #2 It allows me to color sand the pipe (much like in automotive painting). As I begin hand sanding all the low areas will show up as dark places and help guide the final sanding/shaping of the pipe. Yep that's black stain or rather I should say dye. Trust me it's not ruined and won't remain black. :dblthumb:

IMG_8966.JPG IMG_8967.JPG

12. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Great pictures, I remember how good my Captain Black Gold, and Amphora Black Cavendish smelled. Thanks for sharing your progress.

13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    You're very welcome brother, thank you for following along and for all the kind words!

14. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Initial hand sanding done now and the slightest low spot or sanding scratch shows up black from the contrast dye. It has some nice flame grain on each side and birds eye on the front. From here I'll finish the hand sanding till all blemishes are gone then do the secondary dye.... then it'll be time to start on the stem.

IMG_8972.JPG IMG_8974.JPG IMG_8975.JPG IMG_8976.JPG IMG_8977.JPG

15. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  16. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

@T. Pollock, watching your video or image tutorials/postings is much better than watching TV!

Thank you for sharing!

Keep on doing whatever you are doing, whether turning, sanding, carving. :)

Regards,

Christos

17. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed! I bought one of those hobby blocks, and am close to making a billiard sitter out of it with a straight stem. I can only hope it turns out half as nice :)

18. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's amazing the progress already made. One might think it was finished already had you not told us there was still more to do.

19. Stringer

Blog Posts:
    Amazes me how involved the process is. Almost makes me want to take up the pipe again.

20. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @T. Pollock I have really enjoyed watching you make your pipe. The craftsmanship that you put into your work is stunning. Absolutely fantastic!

21. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you so much for all the kind words and for following along my friends! It's my pleasure to share the process. It was freely shared with me and part of keeping the tradition/craft/trade alive is sharing it with others. If I could I'd have a shop full of people each time I work to share the craft with. For something to be so small there truly are a LOT of steps that go into making a quality briar pipe.

22. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I didn't think to mention this above, the piece you see sticking out of the shank in the last set of photos is just a piece of Delrin to help me hold onto the pipe while sanding it. The stem seen in some of the earlier photos is the actual stem for the pipe and one of the final steps is heating and bending the stem to the correct shape.

23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'll likely do a lousy job explaining this part but I'll try my best. It is extremely difficult the get the mortise/shank of the pipe, the tenon and the stem all drilled and turned concentric (if that's the right word) with each other. If one is slightly out of round with the other when they're put together they wont mate up perfectly at the shank/stem joint. Also when the stem is turned one way they may match better than when the stem is turned over the other way. for this reason most makers use some type of indicator for the top of the stem. In this case I chose the position where the joint matched best (so there's less sanding to be done to make them match) and used a 1/8" peace of delrin to indicate the top of the stem. A hole is drilled into the stem and the white dot glued into it.

In these first photos hopefully you can see how the shank to stem joint aren't concentric with each other. Once the stem has been marked with the indicator it's installed into the pipe and the two are sanded so that they match perfectly "in this position".

IMG_8979.JPG IMG_8980.JPG IMG_8982.JPG IMG_8983.JPG IMG_8985.JPG IMG_8986.JPG IMG_8989.JPG IMG_8990.JPG IMG_8992.JPG

There are many steps that go into the making of the stem that I won't go into detail on. Even with preformed stems they still have to be re-drilled, filed, shaped inside and out and sanded. Once all that is done the pipe cleaner test is done. For a bent pipe especially, if it won't pass a pipe cleaner from stem button to the bottom of the bowl without having to remove the stem IMHO the pipe is worthless. In this photo you can see it easily passes all the way through with no issues.
    IMG_8995.JPG

Now that the stem fitment is done the final hand sanding of pipe and stem while together will be done, then the final dye, then the stem will be formed/bent and the pipe will receive a buff and wax.

24. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

26. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    After the final dye.
    IMG_8998.JPG IMG_8999.JPG

After buffing. The cleaners are stuffed in the stem to keep the airway from collapsing when the stem is formed.
    IMG_9001.JPG IMG_9002.JPG

It's been a long journey, I thank you all for following along and for all the words of encouragement!

The completed pipe.
    IMG_9003.JPG IMG_9009.JPG IMG_9010.JPG IMG_9011.JPG IMG_9012.JPG IMG_9013.JPG

27. buckfynn

buckfynn Old Geezer Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow very nice!!!

28. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Full-on professional job.

29. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks fellas!!!

30. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius

Blog Posts:
    That's a beauty!

31. Stringer

Blog Posts:
    Not only gorgeous, Tim, but amazing how involved and intricate the process is.

I'm going to sit my brother down and have him scroll through the whole w.i.p. before he lights the first bowl.

32. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brothers! Sorry for my late response, I've been out of pocket all day.

33. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got way behind on this thread. Tim, you are an artist. Amazing work. Very inspiring.
    I have some live oak, it is as hard as iron. It should become a pipe or two, maybe a Falcon bowl with an o-ring. :33:

Quinlan, ExAF1N1, M.Hatfield and 6 others like this.
  34. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly my friend! I've been meaning to experiment sometime with Falcon bowls but never have gotten around to it. If you should ever happen to see a Bantam stem (or complete pipe) available anywhere please :51: let me know if you would, so far I've had no success finding one.

35. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pm incoming.

36. blind & lost

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding beauty, your craftsmanship is truly amazing. Thanks for all the extra effort in sharing this process with us, in addition to just making a quality piece.:dblthumb:

37. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother! I enjoy sharing.

38. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I were tobacco, I'd be proud to be smoked out of that pipe.

39. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL thank you kindly brother! :dblthumb:

40. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tim,
    Love what you did on this pipe. Fine work and craftsmanship. You have a very lucky friend.

41. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

42. SonsOfLiberty

SonsOfLiberty Student of Life Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Happened in this forum to see what it was about.
    Extremely impressed with the pipe. Great work!

43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly brother!

44. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    WOW, that's a pipe! :dblthumb:

Thanks for showing all the photo's of the process! Some effort and of course CRAFTSMANSHIP!

45. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you kindly brother! You're very welcome, I enjoy sharing in the hopes it might be of help to someone else that's interested.

46. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Finally felt like doing a little in the shop this weekend and got a little more done on the replacement Bush Bottle for @Stringer A couple of these photos are pretty blurry because it was turning on the lathe when I snapped the photos. It's still a good ways from being finished but it's getting there.

IMG_9032.JPG IMG_9033.JPG IMG_9034.JPG IMG_9035.JPG IMG_9036.JPG IMG_9037.JPG

ArmyMacE, Quinlan, TN_Woodman and 8 others like this.
  47. Stringer

Blog Posts:
    Goodness, that's gorgeous, Tim!.

48. Stringer

Blog Posts:
    Those aren't really words enough to describe Tim's craftsmanship, folks.

49. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother!

50. LogCabin

LogCabin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful work.