In The Shop At TCOG (WIP Photos)

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, May 9, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Fortunately nothing spectacular about this one, it pretty much just fell off on the lathe bed. :dblthumb:

I'm just thankful it didn't dent ME! :4: I have a bowl and a story that I'll share when I get a chance though that had a different outcome... ending in red. :eek:

Hoof likes this.
  2. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Haven't got much done lately between narc attacks and allergy/sinus problems but here's a little from the shop.

Six little indians all in a row... six little indians not yet ready to go. :3:
    Osage, Honey Locust & White Ash.

IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6363.JPG

A couple of Cherry bowls in the works.

IMG_6370.JPG
    IMG_6371.JPG

There was a tree trimming crew in the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and I asked the guy if they ever had any burls. He said he'd remember me if he found any but I honestly didn't have high hopes. Well, I was wrong again :dblthumb: he showed up a couple of days ago with 3 walnut burls. All 3 are fairly small and probably don't have terrific grain in them as they have very few nodules on the outside but I'm still thrilled to have my first burls to work with and was thankful the guy remembered me. All three also have large voids in the center so I made some wood filler with lathe dust and wood glue and packed them full. Needed something solid in the center to be able to drive them on the lathe until a tenon or recess can be turned to chuck it up.
    Not sure what I'll be able to make from them but I'll have fun whatever they turn out (no pun intended :3:) to be.

IMG_6366.JPG IMG_6367.JPG IMG_6368.JPG IMG_6369.JPG

3. Broke

Broke Back yard bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear about your struggles, glad to see you are keeping the creative juices flowing.
    Adam G

stillscout, T. Pollock and Hoof like this.
  4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro. My crazy but creative mind is always spinning even when my body ain't able to giddy-up and go. :)

5. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    The majority of the wood from the last logs I milled (maple, cherry & birch) is too spalted and not suitable for hobo reels or kuksas so I've been turning a few bowls & platters/plates from it trying to salvage as much of it as I can. When late fall gets here it'll be time to harvest more trees but for now I'll have to pretty much make do with what I've got unless I just happen to run across one that someone else has cut down. The cherry blank this little bowl (1.5 x 4.75 inch) came from started out as a 5" x 6" blank and this little bowl is all I was able to salvage from that big ole blank after turning away all that was too soft or had cracks.

It's somewhat of a challenge for some woodturners with enough nerve to practice and see how thin they can turn something while keeping the wall thickness consistent and not cutting through the wall and having the turning explode off the lathe into your face. :eek: :dblthumb:

This little bowl is the thinnest I've turned so far, it's walls are just over 1/8" thick and once sanded it will be just under that. Before applying a coat of tung oil to the outside to help slow the drying and prevent cracking you could hold a flashlight up to the walls of it and see the light through the wood. :4: It's small but I think it's plum cute. :3:

IMG_6376.JPG IMG_6377.JPG IMG_6378.JPG

ETA:
    I can buy blanks for now reasonably for the hobo reels if the demand continues for them but there's no way I could afford to buy blanks big enough for kuksas or YoYo handlines and still be able to sell them at a reasonable price, so for now I'll make whatever I can with what I have until I can harvest more trees.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  6. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do what ya can when ya, bro! Can't rush perfection :3:

Hoof and T. Pollock like this.
  7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro! :dblthumb:

Hoof likes this.
  8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Just a tidbit or two that I thought some might find interesting. :dblthumb:

The ole brain doesn't always work like it should and I forgot to explain in the post above why the hobo reels are at the stage they are. These bought blanks are cut green and then sealed in wax before being sold so they come very wet still. Turning them from square to round gets rid of the wax coating (that holds the moisture in) and then drilling them makes them much thinner, that way they dry faster. For anyone interested, on average wood dries at a rate of 1 year per 1" of thickness ie under normal conditions (kept inside at normal temps) it would take a 1" thick board approx 1 year to dry from green to equilibrium MC. Drilling these reduces the wall thickness to about 1/4" and speeds the drying up considerably. Usable MC (moisture content) around here is under 10-12%.

9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I had to do something quick with the last cherry I milled. After a one week water soak to kill all the ants that were on it and in it I cut the blanks into finish size but forgot to seal the ends and checks were developing on the ends. None of it being large enough for kuksas I decided to just turn bowls out of all I could salvage from it. I've got seven bowls now drying but here's the last two of the batch of cherry which I decided to get a little fancy with and do some spiraling on. The spirals on the second one were burnished with a small scrap piece of ebony.

IMG_6380.JPG IMG_6381.JPG IMG_6392.JPG IMG_6393.JPG IMG_6394.JPG

These like the last one I posted came from smaller blanks so they're fairly small bowls. I have no idea if there will be any interest in bowls or not, if not I'll keep them or they'll make good gifts. It sure beats the heck out of wasting beautiful wood. I've never been interested in turning bowls before but I had a blast turning these so I may do more bowls.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  10. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very nice :dblthumb:

T. Pollock likes this.
  11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother! I've had fun making them and practicing with some different tools.

12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    This is the birch kuksa I withdrew the other day to practice stabilizing on. I had to use a glue block to put it back on the lathe since the tenon had already been cut off. This is the thinnest I've ever turned "anything"! Walls are less than 1/8" thick. :eek:
    All the thinning was done on the inside to increase the capacity of it. I think it was in my "any interest in stabilizing" thread where I had mentioned a possible weight savings by stabilizing a kuksa but I don't think I ever managed to effectively put to words what I was attempting to say/explain. Maybe with the help of these photos I can do a better job of saying what I meant.

It's frustrating sometimes for me trying to put things to words (because of the narc complications) but lets give it a whirl. :dblthumb:

I understand that stabilizing increases the weight of a piece of wood by adding density, most say around double. Lets say theoretically (how ya like that big word :3:) I normally leave a kuksa 3/8" thick. If by stabilizing one I can afford to turn it down to 1/8" thick and not have to worry about leaking due to being stabilized then before stabilizing I've saved 2/3 the weight. IF the stabilizing doubles the weight I've still saved 1/3. Does that make any sense at all??? o_O :33: Probably not but I thought I'd give it another shot. :4: My whole theory may be 100% wrong and that's cool too :dblthumb:... I'll have fun experimenting. :)

IMG_6406.JPG IMG_6408.JPG IMG_6410.JPG IMG_6411.JPG IMG_6412.JPG IMG_6414.JPG

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    To show just how thin this bad boy is, here it is with a small flashlight shining through the walls.

A good demonstration of how important wood selection for density & grain is to get a successful kuksa that doesn't leak as well! The walls are a consistent thickness but the light only shines through in the areas where the grain is less dense.
    I should probably add these photos to my kuksa carving tips thread.

IMG_6416.JPG IMG_6417.JPG IMG_6418.JPG IMG_6419.JPG IMG_6421.JPG IMG_6425.JPG

14. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    nice

15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro!

Hoof likes this.
  16. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mama, that's thin. Beautiful ...

17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My bride likes it ...

18. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother!

Hoof likes this.
  19. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I forgot to mention that perhaps the biggest bonus (whether my theory on the weight holds true or not) is that for the same size kuksa (outer dimensions = how much room it's going to take up in your kit) you get considerably more capacity.

Hoof likes this.
  20. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Out Of The Shop today... working on something to work with In The Shop.

My friend @TN_Woodman called me the other day to let me know his FIL had a maple tree fall in his yard from a recent storm we had and that I was welcome to harvest some of the wood if I'd like. At 70 deg. this morning I figured it was as cool as I was going to catch it (after more than one heat stroke I have to be really careful in the heat!) anytime soon so I loaded up the truck & trailer.

Wish I'd thought to get a photo of the whole tree before I started working on it. This section here was in the ball park of 4 feet in diameter!
    IMG_6552.JPG

Cutting a big ole burl off the side.
    IMG_6553.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

These two sections I cut behind the above 4' section were 3' in diameter and as large as I can cut with my saw.
    IMG_6555.JPG

Maple gold! :4:
    IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6559.JPG

IMG_6560.JPG

I know it's hard to judge size from a photo but this burl was large enough that I couldn't carry it to the truck!
    Admittedly I was weak from the heat, I could pick it up but carrying it was a no go and I don't stop for much.
    IMG_6562.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  21. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't think I realized how big that burl was. I can't wait to see it turned into something.
    If you want some more, he found a guy with a big saw and he cut up the rest of the 4' part into sections. That other maple is going to be cut in the fall and he said you can have it. I hope all that will keep you busy. ;)

Hoof, Broke and T. Pollock like this.
  22. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    No doubt for quite some time! I didn't realize the actual size of that burl either until I started cutting it off the tree which was not an easy task. :11:
    Be sure to thank your FIL for me and if I can get back by there while he is there I will do so again in person. If he'd like a bowl or something made from it if he could send you a photo of the style he'd like that would be a big help. And you're welcome to get any of this you'd like that I harvested bro! I'll try to go back by there and see how the rest was cut up. Only having a 18" bar on my saw I'm limited what size piece I can work up. Your FIL's brother was very nice to me as well and I greatly appreciate their kindness. Getting too hot really put a whoop on me, I've been in & out from the narc all day but feeling a little better now.

Thank you once again brother for the heads up on the tree!!!

TN_Woodman and Hoof like this.
  23. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Still not up to par from getting too hot but I did go out last night to lay out a couple of the sections of log for milling/processing.

One of my three grandsons who stayed with us last night supervising my work! :dblthumb:

IMG_6564.JPG IMG_6567.JPG IMG_6568.JPG IMG_6570.JPG Log Processing For Blanks.jpg

SmilinJoe, Hoof, TN_Woodman and 3 others like this.
  24. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad to do it. My FIL thanks you for getting rid of the wood. Win-win for everyone.

Broke and T. Pollock like this.
  25. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    This is what one of the above sections made in blanks, the blanks are all approx. 14" in length which is the most I can get with an 18" bar on my saw. I trim as much of the bark off as possible and then start cutting the blanks. These will be milled on down into the final blank size on my bandsaw and then the ends will be waxed which slows the drying and helps prevent checking. After that they get stacked in the shop with stickers to allow airflow all around them.

IMG_6571.JPG IMG_6573.JPG IMG_6574.JPG

Broke, Hoof, TN_Woodman and 1 other person like this.
  26. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What a nice work shop.
    I think if I had a shop like that my wife would think she was a widow.

T. Pollock and TN_Woodman like this.
  27. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Dave! It needs to be much better organized but I'm getting there slowly.
    LOL mine probably does too sometimes. :dblthumb: She's great though, never says a word!

Hoof and Broke like this.
  28. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    This is the second of the 3 walnut burls the tree trimmer brought & gave to me and the smallest of the bunch. It was so thin (you can see just how thin it was before being turned in the photos above) that I had to use a glue block for the tenon. It was also very oblong shaped which presented some challenge as to what to try to get out of it. The first one I turned I'm keeping since it was my first burl, but when these other two are done I'll contact the tree trimmer guy and offer him his choice of the two as a thank you for the burls and hopefully he'll remember me in the future should he find others.

I don't consider myself very artistic at all and I'm not sure what to do with this one, any thoughts? I know it's hard to tell much from my cell phone photos but right now there is about half live edge un-turned) showing and it has the big void in the side.

1. I could leave it as is and finish it.
    2. Leave it as is but fill/repair the void
    3. I could turn it down more = loose more of the live edge (and it would make the void much larger) and leave the void.
    4. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and fill/repair the void.

IMG_6578.JPG IMG_6580.JPG IMG_6581.JPG

This 3rd and largest burl reminds me of one of the old German military helmets like the guy on "Laugh In" use to wear. :dblthumb:
    IMG_6585.JPG IMG_6586.JPG IMG_6588.JPG IMG_6589.JPG IMG_6590.JPG

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    SmilinJoe, TN_Woodman and Hoof like this.
  29. Broke

Blog Posts:
    I would leave it. Most likely it will be a change/key drop point and the void gives it character.

30. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the feedback bud!

Broke and Hoof like this.
  31. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Even though I know Broke is kinda crazy I have to agree with him, leave it.

TN_Woodman, Broke and T. Pollock like this.
  32. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL he and I are like two peas in a pod then cause I a wee bit crazy too. :dblthumb: Thanks for the feedback my friend!

33. adkwalker

adkwalker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow that's a tough call on one hand I say leave it . But then I'm thinking how much would you lose if you turned it down a little more and then left it no fill.
    Kevin

34. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Honestly I would like for it to be thinner, the problem is the way the void tapers outward toward the inside of the bowl. Not sure If I'm wording that very well or not and I know it's hard to tell from photos but the void gets bigger toward the inside of the bowl. I can't take anymore off the inside because it would make the wall too thin in one place. I could take more off the outside but the void would get considerable bigger, hence my delema. :33:
    Hope at least some of that make a little sense.

35. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Leave it. I like it. Looks like a nice cigar ash tray.

T. Pollock, Hoof and Broke like this.
  36. Broke

Blog Posts:
    That's bloody brilliant!!! Add some notches, figure a decent ring gauge, parallel to the base.
    Let me know when it's done, I can pp you the monies!

T. Pollock, TN_Woodman and Hoof like this.
  37. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'd say leave it bc of how large the void is, it gives it character. But an idea for the future depending on how large the void is you can always turn it into a yarn bowl.
    yarn bowl.jpg

Kacie, Hoof, T. Pollock and 1 other person like this.
  38. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Neat idea bud.

@Broke I'm afraid I have to offer the guy that gave me the burls his choice of this one or the last one I just did (well... I don't have too, but it's the right thing to do :)) from the biggest burl. If he doesn't want this one I can hook you up though brother. You'd just have to tell me what a ring gauge is??? :33:

I'll definitely keep that in mind J, thanks!

Thanks for the cool ideas and feeback y'all, I appreciate ya!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  39. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Most people don't realize just how much moisture wood holds and they would be shocked to know how much wood actually moves. I took a few photos today of a good example & illustration to share in the hopes that some might find it interesting.
    I turned this bowl 4 days ago from a fresh cut/green walnut burl. I turned it thin so it would move without cracking & wouldn't fight against itself when drying from the stresses the wood was under from loosing moisture. In 4 days this is how much the rim of this bowl has moved from being perfectly flat.

Sorry guys my brain isn't on par right now so I'll come back and edit/add more info to better say what I was trying to say. :8: At least I got the photos up.

IMG_6595.JPG IMG_6604.JPG IMG_6608.JPG IMG_6609.JPG

SmilinJoe, TN_Woodman, Broke and 2 others like this.
  40. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Spalted Maple Carve-A-Kuksa I worked on today and a roughed out bowl from the largest of the 3 walnut burls.

IMG_6612.JPG IMG_6613.JPG IMG_6617.JPG IMG_6621.JPG IMG_6624.JPG IMG_6625.JPG
    IMG_6626.JPG

If the kuksa does OK it'll be available in a few days.

@prairieofthedog

@Badger5

@1Jesster

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  41. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Milled the second 36" section of maple I harvested the other day up this morning. Thought you guys might like to see the amount of blanks I was able to get out of the two (posted above) sections. All this is approx 14" in length and the thickest is 6" which is the max my bandsaw will cut/re-saw. Now to get all the ends trimmed up and then waxed.
    I'm seriously considering getting a bigger chainsaw if I can sell the one I have. Milling logs this size is really too much for an
    ms311 with an 18" bar.

IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6633.JPG

MommaJ, TN_Woodman and Hoof like this.
  42. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Maybe time to get a Porta saw? Or a longer bar and a portable mill jig?

T. Pollock and Hoof like this.
  43. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    A portable sawmill would be sweet but waaaaay out of my budget. I don't really need a milling jig just roughing out blanks, if I was doing lumber/boards one would really be nice though. I talked to my dealer this morning & he said a 20" bar is the max recommended for the 311 so I wouldn't gain much there. A lot of times I end up having to cut from both ends which takes a bunch more time and I usually end up with a messy cut (= wasted wood) when doing that. Looked at a 661 Magnum with 24" bar (will run up to a 36") this morning but man they think a lot of those things! LOL

44. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    The gentleman that gave me the maple tree didn't ask for anything for the wood but I wanted to make something to offer him as a thank you anyway, it's just the right thing to do. I figured a nice bowl from his tree would be a nice memory for him of the tree that grew for years in his yard and I could have done a very basic simple bowl but I wanted to challenge myself and have something special to offer him. This is the largest diameter thing I've ever turned. My lathe capacity is suppose to be 12" but I found out today that it will only do about 11" - 11-1/2" in reality. A bigger lathe one of these days would be sweet!

As you can probably tell in the photos this came from one of the large V shaped blanks.

First it was cut roughly to dia on the bandsaw.
    IMG_6637.JPG

Roughing out something this big that still has flats on it is quite a challenge because you're cutting the air gap over half the time and have to be very careful not to get a catch. Here you can see the corners starting to be turned away.
    IMG_6638.JPG

I was hoping for a 12" bowl but couldn't quite get it with my lathe.
    IMG_6639.JPG

Here after a bunch of roughing out you can see a small amount of the flat still remains. Having the large flats from the way the log was milled kind of dictated the shape of the bowl.
    IMG_6642.JPG

Finally... whew, the flats gone and some really pretty grain revealed.
    IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6645.JPG

Time to reverse chuck this bad boy and rough out the inside.
    IMG_6647.JPG

IMG_6648.JPG

The rule of thumb when "twice turning" a bowl is to leave the wall thickness 10% of the diameter. This is to allow enough wood to compensate for the warping that will occur during drying and to hopefully be able to finish turn it back to round once it has dried.
    IMG_6649.JPG

45. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Turning always makes a mess but turning something this big really makes a mess!
    IMG_6650.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6653.JPG

IMG_6654.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

Being packed away in shavings and set aside to dry. This is the hard part... waiting and hoping for no cracks!
    IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

Once dry it'll be put back on the lathe and be finish turned, which basically means turning out all the warping that happened during drying and turning it down to the final thickness desired.

Thanks for taking a look guys!
    T

Kacie, SmilinJoe, TN_Woodman and 4 others like this.
  46. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Cough cough husqavarna cough cough. Lol

T. Pollock and Hoof like this.
  47. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    LOL I like them too but no local dealer here. :dblthumb:

48. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    That looks great Tim. He loves hand made stuff.

T. Pollock, Hoof and Broke like this.
  49. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bro! Cool, I hope he'll like it.

Hoof likes this.
  50. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    That piece has a nice grain