In the works

Discussion in 'Sandcut Outdoors' started by Sandcut, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I just recently got asked to put on two hour Wilderness First Aid demonstrations at the 2018 PA Trapper's Association State Rendezvous. They won't know the date for a while now, but I gave them a "Hell yes!" At the moment it looks like it will be the second or third week in June 2018 (they plan this two years in advance). I took the girls to the State Rendezvous this past year and had a good time. The guy that I spoke with also said that they may want me to do the same for the 2017 PTA District 8 Rendezvous as well.

Since this is still tentative, and I've had a couple other tentative things in the works, I'm going to use this thread as a running list to give folks a heads up on trainings and workshops that are in the pipeline, but not "official" classes. That way you'll know if something is coming up that you'd like to keep an eye on.

2. B33J

B33J Liberty or Death Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Following

Sandcut likes this.
  3. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Adding a new to the lineup, the "Hug a Tree" program from the National Association for Search and Rescue. I just scheduled a class with a local Cub Scout group for November.

For those not familiar with it, the Hug a Tree program teaches young children what to do in the event that they get lost in the outdoors. The course focuses on teaching kids how to behave to stay safe, how not to panic, and how to help themselves become found by Search and Rescue crews. The course is ideal for kids in grades 1-5, but would not be lost on older kids.

alukban and rsnurkle like this.
  4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Glad tidings this festive Yuletide!

I had a productive meeting this past Friday afternoon. Beginning sometime in the Feb/March timeframe Sandcut Outdoors will be offering courses periodically at the Cabelas Hamburg, PA store. The exact dates are yet to be finalized, but as a minimum it appears that we will be running a Hug a Tree and Survive class and a Basic Knots for Outdoor Use for the youngsters and a Wilderness and Remote First Aid class for those of us who are more seasoned.

If you've never been to this store, it is a "destination" worthy of a trip.

Stay tuned here or check out Cabelas.com and check their Hamburg site for a calendar.

alukban and rsnurkle like this.
  5. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    In the final stages of fleshing out some really groovy events coming up here in 2017.

I'm meeting with the local TNC office tomorrow to finalize plans for a couple events in June. The first is going to be a Women's Outdoor Skills Workshop followed later in the month with a Whippoorwill Walk to a local site that's one of the few in the region where you can hear whippoorwills.

I'm going to be working with a local canoe/kayak livery to offer an edible/medicinal kayak trip down the Delaware River, most likely this August. Still working out the details with this.

And a random meeting a month ago during my WFA recertification lead me to meet the owner of PA Wilderness Skills. Art is putting together a big bushcraft gathering this coming September north of State College in central PA and asked me to put on some programs throughout the weekend. Also appearing at this event will be Creek Stewart from Fat Guys in the Woods as well as Dan Wowak from the last season of Alone. We're still workimg out an agenda in relation to the other instructors to reduce redundancy, but I'm pretty stoked about this event. It promises to be quite an event!

More to come on all of these. I'll post a thread on each of these once they're all scheduled.

rsnurkle, B33J, alukban and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I need to make time to properly write these events up, but here's whst I'm working on.

Firmed up the plant/kayak trip to be on August 5th. More to come on that.

I'm doing a free moonlight walk on June 28 for TNC with a focus on going to a site known to have whippoorwills, which are very unusual here in NEPA. In fact I have only heard them once ever in PA. I'm excited about this trip.

And just today I fleshed out a program with a friend who has her own side business that's a little older and has a surprisingly large following. We're going to do a joint venture on combining a plant/animal natural history walk (me) with a session og guided meditation while in the field. I must admit, this is outside my normal scientific dorkiness, but the more we talked about it, the more I could see how well the two would dovetail together.

Also in discussions with a regional mountain biking team about a possible wilderness and remote first aid class that may have some openings for others to jump in on.

Stay tuned.