1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive Tarp Shelter Heater

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Seacapt., Apr 2, 2016.

1. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since the 1960s my cooking and heating set up in my 32 sq.ft. ice fishing shack has been the simple Sterno box stove with terra cotta pot fueled by charcoal briquettes (pic). Earlier this spring I decided to experiment in the back yard using this in my Forester style tarp set up with a piece of plastic over the front opening. Unscientific results were during two 28*F nights 10 briquettes at 9::pM lasted until 2:00PM when I got up for a pee break then put 5 more in and lasted till 6:00am when I refueled it with wood for my morning coffee with the water that was kept from simmer to lukewarm all night sitting in my GSI cup on top. Under tarp temp ranged from 40*to45*F throughout the night making for comfortable under tarp temp and sleeping. No reason same results could not be had with leftover larger camp fire coals in lieu of briquettes. Obviously the clay pot is not a backpacking item but in winter it's not a problem if using a sled for gear and in the off season you could always carry in stash away a pot or two in your most frequented area or site.

2. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Pretty slick....Thanks for posting.
    I sneak in charcoal briquettes in my 3 Dog Stove, for over night "keep the chill off". heat.

Anyone ever tried the 3 tea candle in the pot heater?

morganbw, DomC, MrFixIt and 1 other person like this.
  3. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, I tried tea lights, candles, and the 7 hr. $1.00 Fancy Heat wick cans and found them useless outside under a tarp, at best inside an insulated house they may do for a hand warmer. I'm not big on any type open flame during the night while sleeping and coals/briquettes make for a safer spark free environment especially when enclosed in the Sterno box.

morganbw, DomC, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  4. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hmm, that could be very useful in base camp, thanks for posting!

morganbw and MrFixIt like this.
  5. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    interesting. do you have a picture? i'm guessing the briquets are in the sterno and the whole thing sitting in the clay pot right?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    morganbw, MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.
  6. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    just found this video, pretty much what @Seacapt. is describing. this is the 2nd part where he does his field test, the 1st part is how he builds it

Red Ochre, hunter63, morganbw and 5 others like this.
  7. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    IMG_4588.JPG Simple: briquets, coals or wood for stove fuel, 1 clay pot with round drain hole upside down and enjoy a bit of warmth and hot drink.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb: