infrastructure auditing for preparedness

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by THRsucks, Apr 29, 2018.

1. THRsucks

THRsucks Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am working on a structured plan to quickly assess critical infrastructure. My plan is to donate the information to FEMA when and if it is useful. I was reading the news yesterday or the day before and found a news article for project dark skies, that is happening right now in my former area of Wisconsin.

I think it may be good to know your HAZCOM and HAZMAT stuff right about now. There was a massive ammonia leak that shut down an entire town near where I was living. It's bizarre and extremely frightening, to prepare thinking that nothing will happen, and then finally, it does.

Just looking for everyone's thoughts and opinions on the subject.

Godbless the USA, and I pray that whatever insanity is happening in Wisconsin doesn't spread to the rest of the world.

2. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess I'm not following your thesis. If I may clarify you're developing general plans about hazard mitigation with your local infrastructure?

Hazardous materials represent a legitimate and abrupt "bug out" in the true meaning of the phrase. However, short of a nuclear melt down, most of us would be able to return home quite quickly, and I doubt we'd want to bug out to the woods or some other austere location.

I took a very low yield hazmat course probably 15 or so years ago.

3. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:

If this dashcam video loads, it shows an explosion as a result of a railroad mishap and the resulting vapor. I lived near Texarkana at the time. I do believe one elderly lady was killed as a result of the explosion.

Trains do carry very real and dangerous cargo.

rsnurkle likes this.
  4. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Having train tracks running through your immediate area is definitely something to prep for. Knowing what to do is something you should be going over with your family on a regular basis, similar to a fire in the house or whatever.

That train fire is insane @ArkansasFan! Holy cow.

The crazy thing about it is that the contents of any given train rolling through could be literally anything from poisonous gasses to nuclear weapons. All it takes is one guy who didn't want to wait at the crossing and you have a huge environmental disaster on your hands.

rsnurkle likes this.
  5. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Current wind direction and the short term forecast will be one of the first things to check for a localized HAZMAT evacuation. Get up wind, and get distance, the faster you can get moving (packed go-bags) the quicker you can avoid the crowds.
    Know your travel routes, secondary and tertiary backups too. Knowing back-road alternatives is well worth the time to explore ahead of time. (I have used this during a recent evacuation) I moved much more distance than I would have in the same line with the sheep.

This is about the "Dark Sky" WI multi-county training exercise.
    https://www.channel3000.com/news/da...long-term-power-outage-in-wisconsin/737570127

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    atlastrekker likes this.