Instant Mashed Potatoes: Most Versatile Food

Discussion in 'Food' started by Wasp, Feb 12, 2018.

1. 3855singleshot

3855singleshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been buying those for years! I use the garlic/parm and a little corn meal to bread my fish.

NevadaBlue, Faiaoga, Kreger and 9 others like this.
  2. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My son is 14 now. He hated potatoes except fries, chips and sweet potatoes until he was maybe 9 or 10. Same deal - dry heaves and crying. We always put them on his plate and made him try a bite, and he had many a battle with relatives and Scout Leaders, who expected him to just eat them. One day I was out of fresh potatoes at home, so I subbed Idaho instant onto my Shepherd's Pie. That's one of his favourite meals, and he's eaten potatoes ever since.

He did like sweet potatoes when he was little. Called them "peanut butter potatoes" for some reason. I'd try to cut white and yellow potatoes with them. It sort of worked, until the ratio was more potato than sweet potato, and then he wouldn't eat them. KIDS!! LOL!

3. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I wish we could get those up here. We see retort pack tuna sometimes, but never salmon, chicken or even Spam. :(

4. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    WHAT? NO SPAM???

Nooooooooooo....

:17:

5. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a prepper so much that I have my basement full of SHTF supplies but I do pay attention to things I think make sense.

one time I read that it's important to have a food that children will eat as they will literally starve before they will eat something they don't "like".

their brains will not let them eat it hence the physical reactions of gagging/vomiting/etc.

I'm just glad I was a perfect child...

:4:

6. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Only by the full-sized can. HRUMPH!

7. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I grew up fairly poor, in Idaho. Simplot dried milk and instant taters were regular fair. Back then they never tasted quite right. But that's been..a very long time. I should try them again. But I'll admit I say the title of the thread and had a rush of negative memories. They weren't gross, just never really tasted like proper potatoes.

8. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too could always tell when mom tried to slip instant potatoes by... I need to try them again!

bacpacjac, NevadaBlue, Kreger and 6 others like this.
  9. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  10. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

no. say it ain't so...

:4:

11. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mix em thick and make potato pancakes. Add some butter buds and absolutely whatever topping you desire and you’re in the breakfast business! Doc.

bacpacjac, NevadaBlue, Kreger and 8 others like this.
  12. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    hmmmmm..... Our house has been smacked down by the flu this week, but it IS Pancake Tuesday...... Challenge accepted!!

Buttermilk with bananas and a blueberries is our usual. I have mixed instant potato flakes in before, but have never tried them solo. This will be interesting!
    blueberry pancake.jpg

NevadaBlue, SoreFeet, Kreger and 11 others like this.
  13. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I will add this to the cheap easy food. A friend from Alabama showed me years ago that all you had to do was add water, stir, and fry up johnny cakes. Better than bannock. It's also better than pure cornmeal for frying fish.
    [​IMG]

14. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I didn't finish the bacon quickly enough, and my hubby took over the pancake making. There's a special secret recipe that's been handed down from father to son, for generations, in his family. It's very serious business. And messy. And not at all the way I do it. I told him that I'm not cleaning up in the kitchen when he's done. LOL! So.... Idaho instant potato pancakes are on the breakfast menu tomorrow. I think I'll make them tonight to let them firm up. ;)

NevadaBlue, Kreger, bgf and 6 others like this.
  15. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The smell of the cooking bacon must have drawn him into the kitchen ;)

16. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That sounds really good !

NevadaBlue, bacpacjac, Kreger and 4 others like this.
  17. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    instant spuds are convenient, and taste ok. They are not very high in nutritional content though, and contain a lot of sodium and a lot of ingredients that you can't pronounce. I use 'em, but not that often. I get very tired of them quickly, just like with those nasty ramen noodles. :)

18. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    LOL!
    Do you think?
    *sniffs the air for bacon cookin'*

19. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I used to like SPAM more than I do now...did they change it? Or was it always so greasy and salty? It's better cooked for sure.

LarryB, NevadaBlue, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  20. BetterNotBitterIsSurvival

BetterNotBitterIsSurvival Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Wasp - the trick with most sauces AND soups is to let it rest or sit overnight. When I make spaghetti sauce I make it a day ahead of time and after it cooks but it in the fridge overnight or if cool enough it can sit on the stove overnight as long as you boil it very thoroughly the next day. This allows the flavors to blend and become more robust and complex. Like several others said you can also take Ragu and "doctor" it with additional things like fresh onions and garlic and seasonings. And what soup is not better on the second or third day? That is why it appears I am cooking for an entire army when I make sauces or bean soup, borscht or chili.

21. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Never really thought of dried mash
    Do like the idea of it
    Dense, versatile , takes on just about any flavor you add
    May have to experiment
    Anyone try dehydrating their own?

22. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    love both these for trail food. i usually mix cornmeal into my bannock with other things and it turns out really good. have to try johnny cakes some time.. never made them any suggestions for recipes or how?

23. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another good thing to use is stove top TM or other stuffing mix. Make stuffing, add can of chicken, stuff pie-hole. Filling, and light to pack.

24. Sodak

Sodak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have always thought that instant mashed potatoes taste MUCH better than "real" mashed potatoes, much to my wife's chagrin...:11:

25. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm one of those guys that can really steal the show with my garlic herb mashed potatoes during the holiday meals around here, so when I say that I use instant spuds in camp, that's really going out there for me. But yeah, you guys that haven't had them since when should really get you some and try again. They've come a long way.

I dehydrate a lot of lean ground beef for the season and I always pair it with a measured serving of instant spuds. I'll add dried corn and peas for a sort of shepard's pie thing. Very satisfying. It's in the over night kit when I pack light and only bring my smallest cook set and not much more.

26. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I cant really tell much of a difference in these and fresh except theres no lumps and no cream in them. Try them. Cant go wrong for less than a dollar. Try the Idahoan Brand. Walmart, Kroger, Dollar General, etc.

27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Maybe your buying a cheaper brand, but I'm telling you the Idahoan are fantastic.

There are some you have to add milk to and stuff and those arent great.

28. Blackjack

Blackjack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Potato flakes have become a thickener in our house as well. Works in stews that have potatoes already as well.

It has not been the same for some time. Try the reduced sodium. It does have a slightly different texture and noticeably different salt content.

bgf, LarryB, NevadaBlue and 7 others like this.
  29. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would recommend Bisto Gravy Granules ... http://www.bisto.co.uk/our-range/gravy-granules .... I found these in my local Publix (just the basic red pot, not the variety of flavors shown on their web site) in the small UK section of the Foreign/Ethnic foods aisle here in Alabama, also found them in a local specialty "European" food store. When at home I also add a good dash of Worcestershire Sauce to the gravy, another GREAT seasoning to take to camp in a small pot like you use for cooking (olive) oil.

When using dried potatoes I add some dried onions to the cold water before bringing it to the boil and then add the potato powder after it has fully boiled. I find this allows the onions a bit extra time to rehydrate properly and the onion flavored water permeates the potato better.

Another thing I do with dried mash is to make it up in a bowl, adding the water slowly and making the mash on the dry/stodgy side (make sure to scrape in all those onion pieces) and then mash in a can of corned beef. Make into patties and fry off (preferably in bacon grease) and you have a great camp style corned beef hash. This can be made to work with other cooked meats as well, so long as they break down fairly fine (shredded pork BBQ works well). Or precooked bacon (the stuff that is shelf stable) and grated cheese, but watch out for the cheese sticking to the bottom of the pan!

Hope this helps.

OJ

30. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    My wife won't eat the instant potatoes but I like them when real taters are not available. I always try to keep a box on hand too. But, the instant potatoes I really love are the ones you get from Kentucky Fried Chicken. Their gravy is also excellent. And I know, the gravy isn't real either but it's tasty!

Jon.

31. Kreger

Kreger Guide

Blog Posts:
    For a side I like to take left over chicken breasts and shred them in the blender. Then mix them in mashed potatoes, I shred the chicken to the point that you can barely tell it's in the mixture. Add a ton of turkey gravy. I use the stuff in the jar. Makes a really thick and heavy mashed potato. This was something I tossed together to use up leftovers. Now I love it.

32. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I carry the Tuna and pink salmon listed, but didn't think of the mashed potatoes before now. Something to add to the EDC food pack now!

33. russtang

russtang Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They were a staple for us growing up. We had them quite often. Sometimes we would smother them in gravy depending on what else was for supper/lunch, but most of the time we would spread some out, lay a slice of "plastic cheese" on then cover with more potato's and let it melt.
    It was a treat when Mom got some coupons and we got to buy name brand flakes and "real" Kraft cheese slices. lol

bgf, LarryB, NevadaBlue and 5 others like this.
  34. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Instant potatoes, Knorr instant side dishes, couscous, lentils, and mac'n'cheese (can be made with just water if you're careful)< The core of my backpacking foods.

I'm looking at making a cozy like shown in this video. Any dried food mix like knorr with foil lining can be cooked inside the package, just boil the water:

Keeps the mess in the bag and you can use less fuel from your stove.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    bgf, NevadaBlue, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  35. yooper71

yooper71 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I haven’t had instant taters since college. As I was wondering what to have to eat last night I remembered this thread and decided to give them a whirl.

I decided I’d keep it simple, like something I would do while camping. As I had just had SPAM and eggs the day before, so ground beef was up for this meal. I browned the meat made the instant taters per the instructions on the package. I dumped the meat into the prepared potatoes gave a quick stir and was done. I liked it, potatoes were very good. I had tried them before adding the beef and was impressed. I used the Idaho brand, roasted garlic. I didn’t add any seasoning to the beef, just Srirracha over everything when done.

Now that I know they’re good, I’ll mess around with them more and try the other flavors. These will be perfect for camping. Add water and meat and done. Simple, cheap, and tasty. What’s not to like? :35:

LarryB, Wasp, bgf and 5 others like this.
  36. icemancometh

icemancometh Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have been eating the pouches of mashed potatoes at the house since one of my sons has moved out. My youngest (17) doesn't eat potatoes, so its just the wife and I. It is not worth the trouble for us to drag out the mixer and such for real mashed potatoes. The pouches of potatoes, chicken, tuna, salmon and the Knor packages make great traveling food.

37. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Y'all are a really bad influence on me but I had such a great lunch today. Idahoan Buttery Homestyle + re-heated left-over Buffalo Srirachia chicken & peameal bacon + Montaray Jack & Marble cheese + green onions + BBQ sauce = YUMMIENESS!

THANK YOU ALL! :D :D :D

P3120035.JPG P3120054.JPG P3120058.JPG P3120075.JPG

38. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now there's a nice stick to your ribs canteen cup meal :)

MrFixIt, NevadaBlue and bacpacjac like this.
  39. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Just bought an extra bag of mashed potatoes, gave em to my neighbor. Thats right, powdered potato propoganda in a bag. :57:

bgf, bacpacjac, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  40. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    LOL!!! Preach it, Brother!!

MrFixIt, NevadaBlue and Wasp like this.
  41. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I'm doing my part one bag at a time. ;)

bacpacjac, MrFixIt and NevadaBlue like this.
  42. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You did good. You made me go to the pantry and check on my stash. Maybe I need some stock in the company... :33:

bacpacjac, MrFixIt and Wasp like this.
  43. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dang, I just ate, and thought I was full. I read this whole thread, and now I think I am hungry.

44. bumma

bumma Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Tonights supper

100_0269.JPG

bgf, bacpacjac, yooper71 and 3 others like this.
  45. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    i love instaspuds, use it in my fried chicken too

bacpacjac, MrFixIt and Wasp like this.
  46. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Knorr makes a good dry mix, try your local store brand. i use lots of store stuff , it not the same store brand CRAP it was yeats ago

bgf, bacpacjac, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  47. mugsy

mugsy Guide

Blog Posts:
    my youngest didnt like taters in any form when he was little, he ate EVERYTHING else.

bacpacjac and MrFixIt like this.
  48. Avohei

Avohei Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last year was all about going from sliced potatoes in foil to rice in a pot. With all the info here I think this year I'll have to give mashed potatoes a shot.

Especially with all the yummy looking things people are posting!

bgf, mugsy, bacpacjac and 1 other person like this.
  49. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really like instant mashed potatoes and I think they were especially invented for people like me. I have set fire to frying pans, burned out toasters, and boiled saucepans dry until they glowed like Meteors. I was banned from the kitchen by my late wife, she said it worried her to think I was in there unsupervised, but even I can cut the spud packet open and pour boiling water from a kettle onto the contents without some disaster occurring (usually anyway)....[​IMG] :18:

bgf, mugsy, bacpacjac and 4 others like this.
  50. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    mugsy, bacpacjac and MrFixIt like this.