Interested in knife throwing, basic advice needed

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Pastor Chris, May 16, 2018.

1. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hey folks. Jake and I have been watching "FIF Knife and Death" together and he has become interested in throwing knives, which is something we could set up in our smaller back yard.

Naturally, I went to Amazon and looked a bit at some sets and their reviews, but I was wondering if there were any major pitfalls to try to avoid before spending the money on some.

I have no experienced with these and have no idea of what I am looking for.

Just FYI this is one of the sets we were looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson...pID=51zr6CODAHL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thanks in advance for your anticipated excellent advice.

rsnurkle, ArmyMacE, renter6 and 8 others like this.
  2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For the price it's a cheap few hours of fun even if they don't work out young fellar. joe

3. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    No experience with knife throwing but...

Actually, the different ways he throws it are pretty cool.

4. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've thrown a bunch, and I think the best bang for your buck is some of The Cold Steel Offerings.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-8...526503920&sr=8-1&keywords=true+flight+thrower

https://www.amazon.com/008064-Cold-...03943&sr=1-1&keywords=perfect+balance+thrower

They are heavy enough to spin properly and durable. It's much easier to learn on a hawk than a knife. A heavy weight forward knife like a kukri is also a bit easier to throw. Getting your form and distance consistent is key. I've never messed with the "no-spin" throwing but some people like it.

5. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    cold steel makes a great thrower for the price. throwing is all about consistence, distance, how hard you throw are what it's all about. also remember most comp.s want 1 complete revolution, so best to throw holding the handel.

oh, i'd go with the true flight

6. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There is a knife and tomahawk throwing contest this weekend at the Sam Houston Folk Festival in Huntsville, TX. It’s fun to watch those guys, they are very good, and always gets me fired up to try it. I haven’t so far, maybe this year. I hope you and Jake have a great time.

JohnP

7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never done knife throwing as more than just a fun thing to do. These are the ones I currently have.

[​IMG]Look Out by MJGEGB, on Flickr

I like the symmetrical ones the best, but unfortunately only have the one remaining. At some point I'll pick up some more. I don't know how much quality really matters for knife throwing. I'm sure others who take it more seriously would argue, but the knifes are purposefully soft so that the don't snap or chip. The steel quality at lest is less important. I always go for cheap and symmetrical based off my experience.

rsnurkle, JohnP, J. Pierce and 2 others like this.
  8. hdlv

hdlv Treen Machine Supporter

Blog Posts:
    DO NOT throw them at your moms aloe vera, trust me!

ArmyMacE, JohnP, J. Pierce and 5 others like this.
  9. Loogaroo

Loogaroo Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm okay. I can stick 6 out of 8 when I'm in the zone. That is a fun little set. If throwing in the back yard, You want to set your target up in the middle of the yard or so. Just not against the fence. One bad throw and you either have to look dumb and ask your neighbor for your knife back (they hate that) or worst case you take something alive to the neighbors tree (They REALLY would hate that)

10. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    My father taught me to throw a military machete and knife as a young boy. It was an underhand throw.

JohnP and Pastor Chris like this.
  11. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm partial to steel tip darts and a good game off cut throat.

12. YetiJack

YetiJack Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  13. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    another fan of the CS rue flight thrower here -- and they actually make a decent field knife after a little work on the edge.
    edge holding isn't great by current standards, but plenty consistent with 70's & 80's standards. (i.e. western, coleman, ontario, buck ...)

Mitch Ray and Pastor Chris like this.
  14. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    JohnP, YetiJack and Pastor Chris like this.
  15. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The bigger the knife the easier it is to throw. @RiceOnSuede taught me how at a group hang, he's a good teacher.

Pastor Chris and YetiJack like this.
  16. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    Too many cheap throwers are too light weight, don't go there. Hibben aren't good at all.
    Cold Steel True Flight are pretty OK if a bit neutral. The paracord doesn't last long and not very important. Some Cold Steel is too heavy and some too light. Their SF Spade is great but sure tears up the backboard.
    I like Flying Steel products.

Your big choice is going to be spin or no spin throwing.
    I do no spin both Fedin and Thorn methods. Tom Tom Arrow design are excellent as are Shurknives.
    Buy three good knives of one design. There are some great vids to learn. I like Tom Tom, excellent instruction too.

This guy is annoying but means well and gives good tutorials.

Its addictive, and takes a while to master. Y tube is your friend when you find good vids, annoyingly loads of not very helpful stuff.

rsnurkle likes this.
  17. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to throw quite a bit, It can be a long frustrating road but once it clicks it can be a lot of fun.

Most people I see can't help but flick a lot with their wrist inducing a lot of spin, and the only way to stick is to find the exact distance in which the spin lines up. This is about the opposite of what I attempt.

I try to throw with almost no wrist, all arm. I try to induce the absolute minimum of spin on the knife, usually putting my index finger down the spine and letting the knife slide out of my hand as I release, using my index finger to further arrest the spin. Since there is so little spin you can actually control it a bit, and you can have perhaps 6' window in which you can stick the target with the same number of rotations; the goal is to adapt the spin to the distance not the distance to the spin.

I prefer a heavy knife, I started with small light knives like many people but quickly learned to dislike them. I prefer a bit blade heavy rather then balanced. I would suggest a minimum of 12" overall length, but in some ways an even longer knife can be easier to control. I started with "ninja stars" which I think helped build a baseline of accuracy without having to worry about rotations right off the bat. In some ways tomahawk throwing can be easier and perhaps a good place to start, but the skills may not translate that much to knives down the road.

18. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    why the hell would i throw my wepon away............too tell the truth no matter what i do i cant stick super glue if i had too tried for 45 years and just cant do it....................

19. Lil Bullits

Lil Bullits Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've thrown some cheap knives, then I bought some Hibben knives. Big difference! You'll learn that any knife can be thrown...it all depends on distance and technique. Find the right distance for what you're throwing, then work on technique.

20. renter6

renter6 Guide

Blog Posts:
    My uncle gave me a copy of this book by Blackie Collins when I was in the 8th grade, my brother and I threw knives into stacked cardboard taped up into blocks and hung on a piece of plywood. Good clean fun!

https://www.amazon.com/Knife-Throwing-Sport-Survival-Defense/dp/0940362031

My uncle threw an old rattly US Army Ka-Bar. As a rule don't throw any knife you aren't prepared to throw away!

JohnP and Pastor Chris like this.
  21. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
  22. RTDoug

RTDoug Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe Jeff White makes a throwing knife. At least he used to.

23. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I've been throwing knives for a good number of years now. There's a lot of good videos on youtube from the Ralph Thorn School and others, something that didn't exist when I started. There are a few tricks to throwing a knife, it's not like whipping a baseball. I see you live in NJ, if we ever happened to meet at a camp sometime I can teach you.
    Throwing smaller knives take more skill, try to stay in the 12"-14" range at first. I'm a fan of the 14" cold steel pro flights. They're tough, cheap, and nice to throw. I wrap the handles in duct tape to make a handle for a good grip.
    For targets the end grain of wood is the best whether its a tree round or lumber cut offs glued together. I have about 9 different targets in my backyard.

0518181137.jpg IMG_5955.jpg

LFowler and CowboyJesus like this.
  24. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Pastor Chris knife throwing is fun. From my experience it is lots of practice.

Also forward heavy blades will give you faster results, with more accuracy. Just don’t use stick tang knives...

30F8FF35-99D0-4D13-96BA-6B01823EEDFA.jpeg

6D1D474F-CCB6-48B1-88D3-B33F89C03C76.jpeg

10EC8731-6EAE-4362-BBDB-644A74A567BF.jpeg

3147ABE0-40D7-4434-A304-7CDC389E9F52.jpeg

2F8B60F7-FD0D-4722-8F52-7622B75EDA2B.jpeg

504A47DD-FEC1-4D96-9783-0D92A054CB2D.jpeg

6240DF6F-699A-4ECD-B386-CECBEE8FCC03.jpeg

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    rsnurkle likes this.
  25. Muskett

Muskett Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've broken all my Hibben knives, and won't be buying them again.
    I don't have a picture hosting site at present, and even need to upgrade my computer that is running in Latin, but usually at this point in a knife throwing discussion I would show my pile of knife casualties from throwing abuse. Best if you buy knives made and heat treated for throwing. Its a quick way to trash normal knives.

No spin, or quarter spin as sometimes called, is best to use either weight forward or weight back, just not neutral. The latter is really the better of the two, as weight forward requires more finger induced backspin.

Even for spin throwing neutral isn't that useful. Its what you get used to and practice with. Its all consistency of throw to distance, best with set distances. No spin is less distance critical but limited to range with power.

Its a sport, fun sport, not really much use for much else.