Intro post, then gone?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Outdoor Dauber, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe this doesn't belong here, but has anyone else noticed the number of new members who post a great introduction and talk about how excited they are to be involved and are never heard from again? I can think of at least three lately...yet people keep posting to the thread.

2. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Maybe they're just bashful like me young fellar. It takes some people a while ta git their feet wet. joe

3. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Yes, kind of a shame with the well received welcome that they get.

4. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Maybe, but it's been the better part of a month or more since they have even logged on last.

5. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Or a two liner.
    The two liners are very similar and make me think they're the same person over and over.

I don't mind if people join and watch/read for a long time, I was a member for a year before I really started getting more active and another before it was about the only place I went.
    I only worry that some may join to spam later whatever other reason.

Meanwhile we wait and see which is which.

6. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    You get where I'm going with this...

7. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Meh...the good ones will be back and the bad ones will be run out.

8. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius

Blog Posts:
    We had a thread about this I think in Jan 2017, most newbies rarely stayed. There was about a dozen or so folks who continued to welcome them faithfully without any response from the new member. I was one who quit welcoming the newcomers because I didn't see much appreciation from them. The thread was pretty sour. After reading the thread i went back to welcoming them and thanking the others for their participation (the like button used to say thanks), there were others with the same notion. Folks went back to welcoming new members in bigger numbers, the likes made them feel appreciated. So new members have been receiving much better welcomes for the last few years, whether they stay or not is up to them.

9. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I just went back and reviewed my intro thread. I didn't realize how "likes" worked at the time. I made sure to like every response I got. :D

10. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just my opinion but I don’t think the vast majority have any ill intent. I just think most have good intentions but then maybe the forum isn’t what they thought or were hoping/looking for. Or they just have a short attention span, thought this hobby was something they’d be passionate about but then move onto something else. Others probably just come for the knowledge without taking advantage of the sense of community. Others still are here for the trade blanket alone. How many do you see that literally only post to sell/buy something? Quite a few. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Diff’rent strokes and all.

11. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    All of these are possible, but I'm specifically referring to the "greatest place ever, can't wait to contribute, looking forward to making friends and attending get together" type introduction posts.

12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    “Hi, I’m a 30 year old female, looking for bush experiences”

40 people welcome ‘her’.

Kinda fun... :rolleyes:

13. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    Ah, gotcha. I’ll be perfectly honest, I don’t pay too close attention to the intro threads unless something in the title catches my eye. And I guess part of the reason for that is related to what you are getting at - too few stick around past the intro.

14. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    I hate to say it, but I have noticed new female members tend to attract a warmer welcome from a larger contingent. Not sure what that says.

15. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Yep! Almost like some may think there is a possible hook-up there?

HeadyBrew, LazyPK, buckfynn and 8 others like this.
  16. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I just welcome everyone now. Never used to though. I would click on their username and see how many posts they made, but more importantly, when they were on last.

Some folks join, and never come back. I have seen where they will post an intro, and a week later you can can look at their profile and the last time they were active was the day they joined and that was the only post they made. I have been guilty of that in other forums. Sometimes now though, I kinda forget there are other forums. :)

And I have noticed that female intros get a fair number of response more than dudes do. I'm not sure if it is because of the "Hey, baby ;)" factor, or because there is such a ratio difference between dudes and dolls here?

I am going to keep welcoming everyone though, even if it's just to make me feel better. :)

An interesting thing too, is that a lot of folks don't read the whole thread either. There have been cases of old intros being bumped and folks keep welcoming them to the forum, even though they may have been members for several years. For example, I was joking around with @BetterNotBitterIsSurvival not long ago and I kept bumping her intro and re-welcoming her to the forum. It was several days before it became apparent what I was doing, even though she was a fairly prolific poster.

:)

17. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

What's even more fun is watching all the guys ship her their extra gear. Then poof! Gone.

18. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    Greetings from East Central Florida, welcome to BCUSA!
    Dominick..........

19. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    o_Oo_Oo_O

20. McKBrew

McKBrew Roughian #103 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I "IDENTIFY" as a single attractive female with an interest in learning bushcraft and more importantly acquiring the finest high end bushcraft gear. I will be posting a want list shortly. Please message me when you are ready to ship.

Seriously though a lot of people probably sign up for more than one bushcraft forum, Facebook page, etc and give the same sort of intro to all. Perhaps they find what they are looking for somewhere else and are never heard from again.

21. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You also gotta wonder if the females get creepy PM's that scare them off and think that maybe this forum isn't for them.

Just another possibility.

werewolf won, LazyPK, Kreger and 13 others like this.
  22. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I sent a folding saw to @HannahT shortly after she joined. She mentioned that she didn't have one, and I had several. Thankfully she hung around. :) In fact, I am pretty sure that getting that saw kept her here. ;) Seeing how stellar of a member she is, you are all welcome. :59:

:eek::eek::eek:

:18::18::18:

23. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I have a feeling that something like that has happened more than once.....

But, I try and control myself more now.

:eek::eek::eek:

:18::18::18:

24. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've offered to ship all my gear to a few of them. But the stipulation is they have to pay shipping and I'm part of the gear package.
    I guess I'm too expensive to ship and maintain.
    So far I haven't got any takers.

LazyPK, Winterhorse, buckfynn and 7 others like this.
  25. baglock1

baglock1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You could probably count me in on that list. I posted the obligatory intro thread and then disappeared for over four years before posting again. I still lurked a bit but for the most part, life just got in the way and I didn't have the free time to do much bushcrafting. When I did and I needed some info, a search was usually enough to get me the info I needed so there was no need to post anything new. Then life got a *little* less hectic and I started using the Bushclass as a way to get back into it. I got all the lessons done for my Bushclass Basic certification but after a couple of outings, life got busy again. As a result, I'm on the forum infrequently until life calms down again.

I suspect many of the folks who post an intro and then disappear simply get excited but burn out on the excitement relatively quick. The survival based reality shows probably make a lot of folks think, "Hey, I could do that!" but then they find out it can be pretty hard work and maybe, just maybe, they aren't as hardcore as they thought. Then they move off onto another hobby that isn't as rough. There's probably a pretty high attrition rate for activities that are both hard and 100% voluntary.

26. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from the piney woods of East Texas.

Winterhorse, blind & lost and MrFixIt like this.
  27. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    You do realize this isn't actually an introduction post / thread?

28. slowtaknow

slowtaknow Scout

Blog Posts:
    My eyeballs hurt from that type you choose.

29. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Aha! He's a spam bot! I guess some of the introduction replies aren't very sincere.

30. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    He's just messing with you. :)

31. slowtaknow

slowtaknow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Took me awhile to post, i hit it hard for quite awhile then poof, i was gone for a spell too. I got burnt out on bushcraft is my excuse. But the the point of the post is new members joining then ditching, i say wait and see them pop up later and post like crazy once they are done reading others posts and picking up there own gear and trying it out.

32. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah this is common, seen it on a bunch of forums, people join, post their intro thread, then end up not participating further. Cold feet or something, could be lots of reasons. But no biggie, just one of those things. It's one thing to read threads; it's something else to feel like joining into the conversation. Doesn't fit for everybody.

And yes, "females" do tend to get treated differently, especially on sausage-fest forums like this one. Though I've seen worse; there's a decent female representation here, thankfully...

33. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I will say, I've seen a number of posts recently from members who joined years ago yet have a very low post count. I find that healthy and encouraging, that these people are feeling motivated to participate again. Says something positive about the forum, I think.

34. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I have noticed this as well. Seeing somebody post, with an extremely low post count, and then find they have been a member for years. Then realize that they are finally feeling comfortable or whatever to start posting. :)

35. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    It's funny, though, sometimes the thread they finally break silence and join in on, I'm like, "THIS is the topic that finally motivated you to post, after all this time?!?!?" :D

But, all good... :dblthumb:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  36. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well with 70,000+ members, and probably about 1000 core active members, and less than 400 regularly participating members....

Theres some math in there somewhere.

LazyPK, Winterhorse, buckfynn and 6 others like this.
  37. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just my quirky sense of humor. I toostill welcome everyone and even posts that talk about not welcoming newcomers. It made me feel at home when I joined years ago so I just keep paying it forward.

38. Staleym

Staleym Dunadan of Cascadia One of the Free People Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. I tend to give warmer welcomes to Women and (ex)Military. For women, I am beyond the "hook up" stage and wish them to know that because those that enjoy and chose to share about their BushCraft experiences and lessons learned, they are appreciated and to encourage further participation. For mil and ex, I want to welcome their participation, again for their experience and lessons learned. I do not "thank" them "for their service". I do make explicit that I am proud that they chose to walk with us in the community we share. And yes I took the oath myself and earned an Honorable Discharge from the Regular USA.

From Cascadia!

39. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @Outdoor Dauber I suppose the opposite can also be true. Look at someone like Chocolate Spatula, being a younger female, she almost never posts to the forum but shows up to pretty much every gathering that's within driving distance of her. And if she's not scared away hang out with the likes of us, then creeps on the internet shouldn't bother her at all!

I will check the intro forum once in a while, but usually I just watch to see if any new members start posting in the sub-forums that I do check and then click on their profile to read their intro post.

40. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    Makes sense. I don't typically go to the introduction forum, but from time to time an intro thread pops up in "recent posts" that grabs my interest and I read it. Maybe the title mentions they are from PA or some other tidbit. And there have been at least three of these posters that vanished after their fairly lengthy introduction. It's just curious to me.

MrFixIt, victoratsea, Staleym and 6 others like this.
  41. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It took me about two years of membership (from 2015 to 2017) before I was real active here. I wanted to read and learn as much as possible before I started posting on a regular basis. :)

42. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    to ALL our female BCUSA forum members #RESPECT :dblthumb:
    Regards
    David

43. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I don't go to the intro threads much either, only hit them if a "new posts" title catches my eye, but I do recognize the value of our members who respond to them. It can really make a big difference.

My intro thread, I was overwhelmed by the response, by far more than I've gotten on any other forum. Yet the response I received was typical for an intro thread here; seems like everybody gets that.

Which is a good thing. It encourages people. And it sets a tone for the forum, "hey, this is a pretty friendly place". I should post on intro threads more. I applaud those who do and who keep doing.

44. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    My sentiments also!;):35::dblthumb:
    Dominick..........

MrFixIt, victoratsea, Staleym and 5 others like this.
  45. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am one of these people. There is so much information here to read through and learn from that I do not need to post a lot. There are a few subforums that I post to often, others rarely and some I have never posted anything. I get involved when I have time to get out. I do try to read through new posts often though.

46. Odinborn

Odinborn Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There was a younger guy that posted about being from the Carlisle area, and showed up to our last January meet up then I never saw him again. I can't remember his handle on here.

MrFixIt, victoratsea, Staleym and 4 others like this.
  47. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It was definitely the saw :D

I often tackle hobbies like this - all in for a few weeks, then since I spent every waking minute thinking about it, I just burn out. Bushcraft is one of the first I've ever been consistent with, and sometimes I still feel burned out! Luckily, there's an enormous variety of outdoorsy stuff to do and I like relaxing outside with a book if I'm too ornery for anything harder :D

48. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I try to welcome almost everyone to this great place, a few suspected trolls and one other individual were the exceptions. To each their own.

Skruffy, MrFixIt, victoratsea and 3 others like this.
  49. TomC

TomC Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my case, I used to lurk while I worked. Reading these forums was a welcome distraction from dealing with the mental midgets of middle management and the pressure to design a product that sales had already sold before pencil went to paper. Now that I've retired, I'm too busy playing in the dirt to document and post. I do check in often and try to contribute when and where I can as I appreciate all of you and your genius.

Tom

50. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I never used to go to the intros either. I would read the supporter area, then general area, then skip down to other areas.

Now I start at supporter, and work my way down. :)