Invite: 2017 Yukon Bushcraft Camp/Course & Canoe Trip (June 2017)

Discussion in 'Events' started by YukonMusher, Oct 17, 2016.

1. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last year I invited members of the forums Bushcraft USA, Bushcraft UK and Bushcraft Deutschland to join me for a wilderness canoe trip on the Teslin & Yukon Rivers. The idea was not only to paddle down through the breathtaking scenery of the Yukon, but also to share and exchange bushcraft related knowledge and skills.

Bob, Kevin and Pete followed the “call of the wild” and we had a great river trip. You can read about our adventure here.

After and during last year’s trip I had many conversation and discussions regarding another Yukon adventure for interested forum members in 2017. I sat down, checked my calendar, did some number crunching, scratched my head…and here it comes:

I would like to invite you folks for another round of Yukon adventures!
    For 2017 I plan a modular event with a Bushcraft & Survival Camp/Course in the first week and a Wilderness Canoe Trip for the second week. If you are interested, you can join for either of the two, or both.

_DSC0034.JPG

Ultimate goal is –once again- an exchange of skills and ideas between the participants, to meet like-minded folks and to enjoy one of the most beautiful areas the northern hemisphere has to offer.

First Week: Bushcraft & Survival Camp/Course

During this course we will stay on our property north of Whitehorse, Yukon. Our area offers a beautiful mixed boreal forest and some spectacular views to the mountains of the Coastal Range. You can pitch your tents, set up your tarps (think of bugs!) or span your hammocks. We will have the new group event and training area cleared by then and we can take full advantage of the new fire pit.

P1050332.jpg

This part will run like a regular wilderness course and there will be a mix of theory lectures and lots and lots of hands-on stuff. We will also do a few hikes and canoe excursions in the surrounding area and we will throw in a few challenges for you to test your (hopefully) newly acquired skills. It will be interesting and fun!

Without going too much into detail, here is some of the stuff we will cover during the camp/course:

- Choosing & using cutting tools (knife, saw, axe)
    - Fire lighting (various methods)
    - Fire lays, Fire safety
    - Bear Safety
    - Shelter (tarp set ups, Super Shelter, improvised shelters)
    - Bushcraft cooking & baking
    - Rope work (knots, pulleys, making cordage)
    - Using plants for medicine & food
    - Fishing with rod & reel
    - Processing and cooking fish
    - Canoeing Techniques (we will do a one day canoe outing during the course)
    - Survival trapping
    - Field dressing of small game
    - Navigation with map & compass
    - Improvising Tools
    - …and if we find the time we will look at a few little MYOG projects for you to take home.

This camp/course will run from June 4, 2017 (Sunday) to June 9, 2017 (Friday).

Cost: CA$560 per person. This will cover your transport from Whitehorse, YT to the training area, food for the duration of the course, material & supplies for the course, canoe rental and transportation costs for the outing, instructions, camping at my place.

Not covered is your flight to Whitehorse (of course), fishing license, additional accommodation (if you choose to use hotels at the beginning or end of course/trip).

If you feel you can teach something bushcraft related and contribute significantly (!!!) to the course program, please get in touch with me. There will be an incentive, depending on your contribution.

We need a minimum of 5 participants to run this course.

Second Week: Wilderness Canoe Trip (Yukon River)

For this 6-day wilderness trip we will launch our canoes at the shore of beautiful Lake Laberge north of Whitehorse. After two days of lake paddling, which will get us in shape and hone our paddling skills for the faster water sections, we reach a section of the Yukon River called “Thirty Mile River”. This stretch is known for its clear and fast flowing water, wonderful camp sites and amazing fishing opportunities. Many consider it the most beautiful part of the Yukon River. We will continue on to the historic sites of Hootalinqua, Big Salmon Village and eventually get picked up at Little Salmon Village.

_DSC0056.JPG

We will camp along the river in wonderful camp spots, enjoy great fishing opportunities, and have some time to practise some real wilderness living skills. At this time of the year we have good chances to see cow moose and their off-spring cooling off at the river banks. There is also an abundance of wolf, bears, lynx, and water fowl along this river.

Participants need to arrive on or before June 11, 2017 (Sunday). We will get back to Whitehorse on June 17, 2017 (Saturday), but you should plan on departing from Whitehorse not before June 18, 2017 (Sunday), as we may arrive late on Saturday.

Costs: CA$660. This will cover your transportation from Whitehorse to our place, to the boat launch site and back to Whitehorse from Little Salmon Village, your food for the entire trip, canoe/equipment rental fees, satellite communication (for emergencies only), guiding (licensed & insured as required by the Yukon Wilderness Tourism Act), free camping before and after the canoe trip at our place.

Not covered is your flight to Whitehorse (of course), fishing license, additional accommodation (if you choose to use hotels at the beginning or end of course/trip).

We need a minimum of 5 participants to carry out this trip.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask them here on the forum and we can discuss for everyone to read and participate. If you want to sign-up for this 2017 Yukon adventure, please send me a PM with your contacts. I will get back to you with some more detailed info, such as gear list, waiver, medical form etc.

GreenFrog, kyporter, Broke and 10 others like this.
  2. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I already received a number of messages from folks interested over on the BC UK forum and if that trend keeps going it looks like both weeks will be a go. Would be great to see some folks from this forum joining, too!

I am working on detailed itineraries for both weeks and I should have an updated gear list for both the camp/course and the canoe trip available after the weekend.

A few questions have already been raised, so I figured I will answer them here in public.

1. No, you do not need any experience in either bushcraft skills nor canoeing. We will start with the basics and run through "everything" to make sure we are all on the same page. I am sure beginners and advanced bushcrafters will enjoy and learn during their time in the Yukon. But you will need common sense and you need to be aware that we will travel through very remote wilderness terrain during the canoe trip. That comes with some implications such as: no road access to tap out early, no cell phone coverage, no opportunity to plug in your electric shaver, no stores along the way, no medical assistance except for real emergencies with evacuation during the trip, no beds other than your sleeping bag and mattress. This is a wilderness trip...the real thing!
    The camp/course however will be near the road system, but still no cell service and no way to spend money near by. It will still be a basic camping arrangement.
    2. Don't worry too much about gear! Normal outdoor clothing, footwear and basic camping gear (basic sleeping bag rated to frost) will do! If you are worried about specific items or cannot afford another, just let me know and maybe we can find something for 'ya. Detailed gear list after the weekend for those who contact me via pm.

Let me know if you have any more questions and we can discuss them here.

All the best,
    Fabian

3. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In another year I would strongly consider joining these trips. I have paddled the Yukon 4 times, twice on the 1000 mile race (Whitehorse) to the Dalton highway in AK http://yukon1000.com/, two other timeson the Yukon River Quest 440 mile race Whitehorse to Dawson https://www.yukonriverquest.com.

My team is planning another YRQ race in June 2017 and I will be there. Each time, the river calls us back for yet another adventure. Each time, I wish I could paddle at a more leisurely pace, to better enjoy the entire Yukon experience. Everywhere you look you will not go far without seing eagles, bear, sheep moose, or wolves, or at least what I call "faces of the Yukon", the character and face images made of natural rock and scree formations. The Bushcraft experience looks like an excellent opportunity to do so. One day I will.

4. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Holy cow what a trip that would be. I would love to go but dont think ill be able to swing it. I have stayed in whitehorse twice, once on the way to alaska in 2010, and once on the way from alaska back to the lower 48 in 2014. I always thought it would be a heck of a place to live. I have always wanted to go see more of the yukon. Ill be following this thread closely.

YukonMusher likes this.
  5. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Yknpdlr Whenever I could I would go to the start of those races and watch the "crazies" go down the Yukon. I participated once in one of the "shorter" canoe marathons up here, the Yukon 360, organized by Peter C., (same guy who does the Y1000). I always admire those who take on that challenge and I am blown away by those of old age, those with handicaps, those cancer survivors, who come from all over the world to conquer the river during this race. Truly inspiring!

For myself I decided not to do any canoe racing anymore. There is so much more to see along the way, that I just don't want to miss. As you said: wildlife, rock formations, amazing campsites, fishing, scenery to soak up, an amazing silence, ...

You should still try to join us! Your race is at the end of June...so no problem to join us in early June...;-)

Smokey Radley and crewhead05 like this.
  6. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Haggis likes this.
  7. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate the heads up. I'll be leading a camping trip for a bunch of kids in Colorado at that time, otherwise I'd be all over it. Any dog sledding in January lol?

8. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    January is going to be crazy busy training our dogs for races. So no tours during that time...sorry.

Smokey Radley likes this.
  9. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Smokey Radley and YukonMusher like this.
  10. Yknpdlr

Yknpdlr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That might be possible if i wasn't already committed to what I have been doing for the past 25 years in early June - Certifying wilderness guides in leadership and outdoor skills during an 8-day training program in the Adirondacks.

11. Berner9

Berner9 Adventure Often! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for remembering. Currently Im looking to give the Bob Marshall Wilderness open a go

12. Russell96

Russell96 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm one of the Brits that is coming over with my mate Zac. Would be great to meet some guys off this forum as well!!
    Russ

Haggis likes this.
  13. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi folks,

I just wanted to bring this up again, hoping to get some more folks interested. Only a few more months to go...

Cheers,
    Fabian

Haggis likes this.
  14. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Scout

Blog Posts:
    This sounds like an awesome trip. If I was not already committed to a canoe trip in Ontario (Woodland Caribou) during that time, I'd be up there in a heartbeat. Perhaps 2018?

15. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps...;-)...I'll see how the interest pans out for 2017 and then I will look at 2018. Last year was certainly a success!

bowitis and Brook Trout like this.
  16. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am getting things in order on my end. The 2017 Yukon Camp & Canoe Trip is a go ahead with enough interest to make it a reality!!! Who else wants to join? We do have a few more spots available!

Should be good fun and a great learning opportunity for anyone interested in bushcraft and/or canoeing!

You can find more details in the first post of this thread.

Cheers,
    Fabian

Roughneck75 and Haggis like this.
  17. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey! YukonMusher,

It's been forever since I was on the "Events" forum. Is the canoe trip portion on? I'm interested in coming along. I can still get a flight up there on the 10th.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

18. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey Chekmate,

Yes, it is on! Would be great to have you join! I just replied to your PM.

See you in the Yukon!
    Fabian

19. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here are few pics from a previous Yukon River trip for those who still ponder if they should join us...

img006_1.jpg

img003_1.jpg

img004_1.jpg

img016_1.jpg

img019_1.jpg

img029_1.jpg

img048_1.jpg

img053_1.jpg

img082_1.jpg

crewhead05 likes this.
  20. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey! Fabian,

I'm coming on the Yukon Canoe trip! My lovely wife said it's a trip I can't miss.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

21. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey @chekmate: Awesome! Your wife is right! Bring her, too!

Tinder is dry and I will be expecting you! Please, let me know when to pick you up at the airport!

See you then!

Fabian

22. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hello,

I have been asked a few questions regarding this trip via email and PM and figured I will answer some of them here on the forum, in case more folks are wondering:

1. Fishing:
    There is usually pretty good fishing on this river section. Most likely we will catch arctic grayling and the odd pike. There is also a chance of getting an inconnu and a lake trout during the crossing of Lake Laberge (but not likely).
    You need a fishing license which can be obtained from local stores or online from Yukon Environment website.

2. Gear:
    I will provide all cooking gear as well as saw, axe, group tarp, grill, etc You really just need your own gear such as sleeping bag, clothing, mattress, etc
    I prefer if you bring your own tent, but I also have two 2 person tents I am willing to lend to someone (you may have to double up in the tents, depending on what folks bring). You can sleep under tarps or in hammocks, but need to consider bugs!
    I also have some dry bags of various sizes for you to use, if you don't have your own. No need to buy dry bags for this trip!
    All canoe gear will be supplied.

3. Weather:
    Be prepared! Usually our summers are dry and warm, but you will need rain clothing (jacket and pants! NO poncho) and a warm sweater for the evenings. The days are often warm enough for T-Shirt. But we also have the odd night with frost during the month of June. Sun can be beating hot, so bring a good sun hat.

...keep the questions coming! We still have some spots left for both Camp and Canoe Trip.

Cheers,
    Fabian

23. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Morning! Fabian,

I'll be bringing my own tent. Would you suggest I bring my bear spray?

Looking forward to the adventure.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

24. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hi @chekmate : Don't worry about bear spray on your flight...;)... I will have enough, so that everyone can take a can.

Cheers,
    Fabian

25. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Afternoon! Fabian,

I just figured I'd ask. I read Hibrion's trip report from last year's trip. He was talking about you handing out bear spray, so I thought I'd ask.

Chekmate

YukonMusher likes this.
  26. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    The snow is gone for the most part and the canoes re-appeared from under the white winter cover...time to get things rolling for the Camp & Canoe Trip!

I pulled out the maps, river charts and old tour notes to get the details of the river trip wrapped up. I am excited!

P1070296.JPG

I also ordered a new big tarp for the Bushcraft Camp. I had used the same tarp last year when I guided a trip with another guide. He had one of them...amazing tarp for bigger groups in a camp. Check it out: Montbell Big Roof. Montbell in Japan has it on sale right now and international shipping is pretty good!

It also looks like we may have some nice little giveaways for those brave souls joining the Yukon fun! We still have a few seats available!

...OK, time to head out and tend to the homestead...the stupid chickens are making their way over to the sled dog yard...darn birds!

27. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey! Fabian,

I've packed my gear once already with everything I wanted to take. Unfortunately, it came out 5 lbs over weight for the airline. So have to cut down just a little to make the weight. Looking forward to getting up there in June. Glad to hear the snow is gone.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

28. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey @chekmate

haha...I love it! ...You could leave half that knife collection at home...:17:...or you just put on all these extra layers of clothing while sitting in the plane...:eek:

Just in case that helps: I will bring everything we need for cooking and eating: pots, pans, cutlery, plates, bowls, and so on. I also have a saw and axe for producing fire wood. I will bring a big tarp for camp and I have about 4 or 5 fishing rods that folks can use and share on the trip, so no need to bring any of those items, in case that would help you cut the weight.

BTW...this amazing Montbell "Big Roof" tarp from Japan already arrived...unbelievable! That was less than a week for shipment from Japan all the way to the Yukon including clearing at customs...I am stoked!....usually shipping within this country takes closer to two or even three weeks.

We have one more participant joining from the UK! That is awesome! I guess we will upgrade to a bigger van for the transfers now. It is all coming together nicely!

See you soon!
    Fabian

chekmate likes this.
  29. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Morning! Fabian,

Sounds like this is going to be and awesome trip. Sounds like we'll have a nice group going. I'll have to pop over to the UK site and say hi. :23:

Yes! I'm cutting back on the knives.:2: My Condor Hudson Bay knife is 1.4 lbs, that is my go to knife. I'm gonna miss having it on my waist.:17:

Also, I enjoy my comforts! Warm sleeping bag, pillow, and good sleeping pad. I can live in the same stinky clothes for a week. But everyone will want to be upwind of me. :18:

The ice is coming off our lakes down here. Just waiting for it to warm up a little so I can get out in the canoe. Canoeing in 2 to 4 C is not fun!

Keep Your Tinder Dry
    Chekmate

30. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    There is a discussion going on over at the UK forum regarding what to bring on this trip. I figured I will just post my list here as well, in case anyone is interested:

I just went through my detailed list. Here is what I usually take...there is a few more items, but they are guiding/group related, so it is not complete complete, but should give you an idea...

Rain Gear (jacket and pants!!!)
    Hat (with broad brim, not just a base cap)
    Bug net for head (I always bring it, but only wore it once or twice in the last 10 years…if you want one you can buy a cheap one locally)
    Leather gloves
    Bike gloves (some folks like them to avoid blisters while paddling…I don’t)
    Buff (or bandana)
    Wool hat (for cold evenings…not much hair left…)
    Underwear (3)
    Socks (3-4)
    T-Shirts (2)
    Long sleeved shirt (1)
    Fleece shirt (thin) (1)
    Fleece Jacket (thick) (1)
    Light nut warm jacket (polar loft or fleece…for cold evenings or spare when wet)
    Pants (2) (one heavier one, one lightweight for spare)
    Shorts (1 lightweight for swimming…but I am never man enough to get in the f###ing cold water)
    Wind Jacket
    Running shoes or light hikers (for in camp)
    Shoes for paddling (crocs, neoprene shoes, or rubber boots)

Knife
    Pocketknife or multitool
    Axe (I will bring a big one for firewood…bring your own if you need something for little carving projects)
    Saw (I will have a buck saw for firewood…have your own folding saw if needed for little crafting projects)
    Fishing gear (you can borrow here)
    Sun glasses (!!!)
    Sun lotion (you can buy here…the group can share one)
    Mosquito spray (you can buy here…with lots of DEET)
    Toothbrush, tooth paste, soap (you could get some here and even share with the group…not the brush of course)
    Towel (I don’t bring one during the canoe trip…no way I get in the water…but you should have a small one for showers during the camp and after the trip)
    Toilet paper (use the group supply…)
    Camera
    Binoculars (if one or two folks can bring a pair…and then we share?)
    Note pad and two pencils
    Light source (I bring a small led headlamp for reading at night in the tent or for first aid purposes…remember: we have day light for pretty much 24 h at that time of the year)
    Book (I like to read sometimes…and I hate reading some one else’s trip reports when I am on a trip myself)
    Ear plugs (in case your tent partner snores)
    Eye mask (if you can’t sleep with the midnight sun...or just paddle harder next day to get a little more tired)

Sleeping bag (I mostly use down now in the summer…if you look after it and hang for drying whenever possible, it should be good…be prepared for mild frost at night)
    Mattress (foamy or Therm a rest…doesn’t matter)
    Pillow (I got soft over the years…)
    Tent (I have 3 tents for folks to use, if you don’t want to bring your own. But you will likely have to share with a second person)
    Tarps (I will bring some for the group to hang out in rainy weather…if you need your own for sleeping under: Don’t! Bugs will eat you…just use the tent….
    I will NOT bring chairs etc. so have your own if you don’t want to sit on the ground, log, food barrels, etc
    I will have all cooking and eating equipment.
    2 liter water bottle (you can just get a juice bottle locally)
    Fire kit
    First Aid kit (I will have a big one for group emergencies. Bring your own small kit for little issues and have your own medications!!! Headache, fever, diarrhea, allergy stuff, whatever you think you may need…there is no access to a doctor or pharmacy for days!!!)
    Bear spray (I will have for you…)
    Sat phone/InReach (I will have for emergencies…if you need to make phone calls to mama or update your facebook…bring your own…no exception! Leave cell phones at home…there is no reception anywhere other than Whitehorse town and Carmacks…:)
    Field guides (I will bring a few books on plants, birds…for everyone to share)
    River charts, maps, GPS, compass (compass mostly to use the mirror…to make sure hair is proper in the morning…oh wait…no hair…refer to top under “wool hat”)
    Dry bags (If you don’t have any, I will give you some…one big one and one small/medium is usually good)
    Day Pack (good idea during the camp, not needed during canoe trip)

Dog (very important! I will bring one for the group and you can all cuddle her and give belly rubs, if you don't want to bring your own)

chekmate likes this.
  31. chekmate

chekmate Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! YukonMusher,

For the above list. We're having a good discussion on what everyone is planning on taking to the Yukon for the canoe portion of this adventure. The fun with this discussion is we're trying to bring everything we want in 50 lbs / 23 Kg or less one check bag.

Thanks again for the list.
    Chekmate

32. YukonMusher

YukonMusher Scout

Blog Posts:
    ...and don't forget to leave some wiggle room for the goodies to bring home...;)