Is 284k too many miles?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by LazyPK, Aug 9, 2018 at 9:49 AM.

1. LazyPK

LazyPK Scout

Blog Posts:
    looking at a 91 CRX with 284k miles on it. Dude says he did a motor and tranny swap about 41k ago. (About 100k on the new Civic DX tranny) is this too many miles? Body is in good shape and I’m getting the dude to run a compression test. He’s asking $1800 which seems a little high but I will offer $1100 and see where that goes. Advice is appreciated.

Winterhorse and Red Wing like this.
  2. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought a 2000 Forrester with over 300 000 k. Brakes, cv, tie rods tires are worth a closer look. Test drive at slower speeds. See if it has any wobbles in the wheels. Find a few speed bumps test shocks. Get under it with a flashlight. Look for leaks and damage. Price out tires for that car. Find everything wrong with the current ones. That gives you some haggle room. Good luck!
    Cheers Jim

Winterhorse, mjh and LazyPK like this.
  3. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good advice from Zunga, I see your in MS if you were in MN I'd say to pass on it. Too much rust. All our Toyota's have been kept past 284+++miles but all needed major component replacements and they went away. Get some kind of verification, have it checked and yes offer less.

4. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  5. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Per my buddy:

Crx's are kind of rare in good shape ans that asking price isnt horrible tbh if he doesnt have any reciepts for the swap i would make reference to that a couple times while talking to the guy if he doesnt have reciepts. Check the engine code found right below the head on the left side of the block if its a d15b7 thats ana original motor as the civix dx didnt come with that motor i believe

LazyPK and NevadaBlue like this.
  6. LazyPK

LazyPK Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. Kelly W

Kelly W Love the Axe Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Miles to cars is like years to people. No make or model is immune to wear. 284k is well past normal "service" life for any vehicle.

H3NT3, Leshy_apprentice and LazyPK like this.
  8. LazyPK

LazyPK Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don’t know about well past. My Camry had 225k on it when I sold it and I think it’s still goin

9. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    not if it's the distance between me and the x-wife !!!

bam7765 and LazyPK like this.
  10. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I looked at the CL ad. Are you kidding me? $1,800 for a car with basically no interior, no A/C, and a jury-rigged sunroof? You can buy a lot of used car for $1,800 these days, and this isn't one of them. Sorry. Walk away.

LazyPK and Leshy_apprentice like this.
  11. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking at that Craigslist ad I have to say $1800 for that car seems WAY overpriced even if he's highballing hoping to fake haggle down to the price he really will take. That said, even at the $1100 you're offering I personally think that is too much for that car. Especially if $1100 is what you actually want to pay for the car...he'll probably counter with $1700 etc back and forth until you meet somewhere in the middle...you know how it goes.

Unless there is some personal reason or preference you are specifically seeking this car, with $1100 you can do a lot better, even on craigslist, with a little patience if you have the time. So to answer your question better, no 285,000 miles isn't too many if the price and condition are right and you're willing to invest in repair or be meticulous about addressing issues as they come up and not push them off because they will add up faster than you can catch up later! But I think 285,000 is too many for THAT car at THAT starting price.

From the ad I get the impression this guy sunk a lot of time and/or effort and/or money into this car and thinks that makes it worth more than it is. I'd simply pass on this. But that's me. Is there a practical or sentimental reason you think this car is right for you?

caoutdoorsman and LazyPK like this.
  12. LazyPK

LazyPK Scout

Blog Posts:
    I get the impression talking to the guy he over values it. Mentioned he paid 600 dollars for the seats twice. I am going to pass on this. I am looking for a CRX or similar hatchback. My late uncle used to drive a CRX and they are just fun cars

Roamer and Leshy_apprentice like this.
  13. LazyPK

LazyPK Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses peeps

bam7765 and Leshy_apprentice like this.