Is anyone else here having to suffer through this Marie Kondo nonsense?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Ade, Feb 2, 2019.

1. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm on my way there. But I'll be the one leaving due to the house being bought for the kids. Its mutually respectful though. Still love and support eachother but the relationship has run its course

Winterhorse, Tdr and Broke like this.
  2. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I read it on this forum, " do your giving while your living,so you know where it's going "
    If you have kids it's less for them to squabble over and deal with.

Winterhorse and chndlr04 like this.
  3. castle22

castle22 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I think my wife watched half an episode and concluded that she didn’t need to watch a TV show showing her not to accumulate stuff. We already live a pretty spartan existence as far as “stuff” goes, plus she likes things tidy (I’ve learned to appreciate it more) It’s also necessary when neither of us have lived more than a year in the same place since high school. Some places 6 months or less. I guess “permanent” has a different meaning when you live like that.
    I get a kick out of giving stuff away I don’t use or just throwing it away. I don’t know if I use the “joy” standard; I try and think of it more practically. Do I actually need this for something I do regularly? Will I actually use it? (I’ve learned that if the answer to this is “maybe...” it’s really a “no”) Do I have any redundant stuff that I don’t need? I don’t throw out my snowshoes every summer, but I also don’t have six stoves and nine pot sets when I only use one of each. I bought a new sleeping bag recently and I’ll be getting rid of my old one next week - don’t need it and don’t want it. I think if you burned all my stuff in a pile the only thing I would really get upset over is my laptop full of pictures - that does have a backup though.

If you want a get have a fun time read this thread back to back with the vintage vs modern gear thread. You need vintage gear because it’s bombproof and will last a lifetime....but you also need a lot of it, and back ups for your back ups. :D

4. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Moving is a great equalizer. I moved 14 times in 7 years. But it doesn't work on the wife tho. Dammit

Winterhorse and S.Decker like this.
  5. castle22

castle22 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    It really helps. We don’t do U-hauls. If it can’t fit in two hatchbacks it doesn’t come with. Furniture gets bought on Craigslist then sold when we leave. Mattresses are the exception, we’ll buy a new mattress if the place isn’t furnished; I’ll spend $2-300 to not get bedbugs. We had a 2br apartment in Minneapolis that’s had a mattress, two lawn chairs, and a Rubbermaid tub for a table. Told us we would be there for 6 weeks...ended up being 6 months.
    We both have some luxury items though (to put it in backpacking terms), my wife has her vintage dinnerware set and I have my leatherworking stuff and guns - well she has her gun too but I have more .

6. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last move to my current residence since dec 2015 took the biggest uhaul available. I wasnt happy but whatever. I work at target so I was able to get alot of the same boxes every single truck to pack, same size, strong with handle holes. I own 3 hand trucks and 4 dolly's. I might as well go into the moving business.
    My personal possessions including the shed of tools will fit in my prius(commute vehicle).

Winterhorse likes this.
  7. Knifejunkie1928

Knifejunkie1928 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    For the most part I can agree this Marie Kondo spark joy stuff is crap. Ever time she says hello to the house I want to turn it off, but the wife likes it so not much to do about it. However, I did like one thing she has some of the people in the show do. Lay out all of your stuff so you can see it all at ones and truly get the scope of how much you have. I think in the show people usually lay out their clothes, for me it was my knives. I laid them all out and found I literally could no longer walk in my living room, it really put it into perspective. I had more knives then I could use in my whole lifetime. When you see all of them in front of you it was super easy to make a quick decisions on what I wanted to keep and what I was just holding onto for no good reason.

8. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've never heard of this person. I have a clue now who she is and what she's about. I'm with Nevada Blue...not looking her up. Btw,what is "the five"??....