It happened to me - evacuee.

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Tangotag, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lessons learned from yesterday.

Normally I'm prepared being one aiding in assistance. I'm in the local ARES/RACES group though have recently drifted away but will be getting back more involved. This time though I was on the other side of the coin.

A few things to polish up on my family evacuation plans. Any family needed medication should be in one specific spot to speed up grab-and-go. Family members need to stay in contact specifically if one is able to get home to grab things. We are working out on a better plan in this area. Mindset, I made it home and thought grab-and-go immediate risk being the next detonation will blow the windows in vs. my wife made it home and thought "these dishes" and "the garbage needs to go out" or the house will stink when I get back.

The local population evacuation went very well. It helped that the incident built up to the needs for an evaluation and the wind was going in the least populated direction. I went into the evacuation zone to recover my dog and grab a few extra things for a potential 3 day evacuation. Things I observed at this time heading in the "wrong direction", the lines leaving town were long but moving well. The homeless migrated toward the evacuation zone no looting was reported (just and interesting observation). Evacuation shelters were manned and accounted for less than 1% of the potential population that should have evacuated. Many assisted living homes and elder care facilities and the local hospital evacuated. Those events went relatively smoothly. Just about all businesses closed other than a few gas stations.

Most people evacuated to hotels within close range but they did fill up to about 60 miles out. We had a number of locations we could go and made out just fine. Most of my relatives hoteled it one held tight at home and sheltered in-place. We had relatives and friends that we could have gone to outside the evacuation zone.

You may have seen something about it on the news. The entire time we were up wind from the smoke cloud. Had the wind direction been different, things could have been much worse.
    Some good lesson learned.
    IMG_4817.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  2. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are okay, but, please explain what the INCIDENT is? Where is all the black smoke coming from, a giant car tire fire?

I haven't seen or heard anything on the news about this fire. Stay safe and hope the wind doesn't shift!

3. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    THRsucks, Blackhillz, actichy and 9 others like this.
  4. Porkeater

Porkeater Tracker

Blog Posts:
    THRsucks, Winterhorse, mugsy and 8 others like this.
  5. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are okay. I was over there for the sport show the other month.

I had an underground gas pipe line explode near me and had to evacuate once. Makes you appreciate having a "Go Bag".

THRsucks, Winterhorse, mugsy and 6 others like this.
  6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad you are OK.

I lived near an ammonia pipeline, of all things, WAY out in the middle of nowhere in the Ozarks. I worried about it some and then realized, it wasn’t a problem. If it broke, we were dead and it wouldn’t matter at all. :eek:

THRsucks, Winterhorse, mugsy and 7 others like this.
  7. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Glad you and yours are ok.

Winterhorse, mugsy, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  8. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    As far as refineries go, this one is tiny. A good portion of the production is Bunker Oil for the shipping industry at the port. Though they do produce gasoline and asphalt products too. Just a small refining operation along the Canadian sand oil lines. Worst case scenario was hydrogen fluoride tanks but even that, at press conferences, was not talked about when reporters asked.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Winterhorse, mugsy, rsnurkle and 5 others like this.
  9. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad you're OK. Now you have a new perspective on what to prepare for. joe

Winterhorse, mugsy, rsnurkle and 5 others like this.
  10. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    We were watching that one closely. We don't go to that refinery, but we were in Texas last week when the other one went up. Luckily I have never been at the actual refinery when it actually happened, but watching them go first hand is some pretty scary stuff. I am glad to hear that they got this one contained quickly and your property and family weren't inconvenienced too much. For those who live nearby refineries, I would definitely have a plan in place for a real quick evac.

11. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad everything is okay so far. Looks really big.

This is exactly why I laugh when people say a Get Out (GO) Bag or Bug Out Bag "is a gimmick", "Mall Ninja/Fantasy Stuff", or insert term here. Would make it so much easier to grab your bag and throw some meds and cash and a packet of most important papers and be gone.

I knew a girl that was in Tennessee a few years ago with the big fire. She said some of her friends and neighbors had to leave so fast from home they left with nothing but their clothes they were wearing. She said it made her completly reevaluate needing a Bag with essentials to Get Out and even Get Home. She had a little time to get her stuff together, but others did not.