It's official

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Usingmyrights, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got final word today that I'll be departing for the panhandle to assist an institution that took almost a direct hit from Hurricane Michael. I was just waiting to hear the final word on the days. The trip was regrettably cut a day short from the initial plans and my attempt to go up a day early on a supply drop wasn't approved since they want to the team to go down together, which is understandable.

The institution from my understanding is mostly ok from a structural standpoint, which is a but surprising seeing that parts of it are pre civil war. I'd be helping provide security as my primary duty with secondary working where needed if I choose to put in extra hours. Speaking to someone that was on the first team that went up, the national Guard was still enforcing a 1900 (7pm) curfew. The dollar store in town had been looted and started enforcing a one customer at a time rule and started closing at 1600 (4pm). I'm sure a lot of the major institutional clean up is well on the way to being taken care of, so we'd be mostly providing coverage for the regular workforce to be able to attend to their personal housing.
    I posted this to hopefully be able to provide some more insight to such events. I hope to provide a better report upon my return.

2. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Be safe out there, and keep us appraised of your status as time allows. Oh, and take some hot sauce for the inevitable MREs! Good luck and God bless...

3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Take care and be safe young fellar. joe

Usingmyrights and DirtmanDave like this.
  4. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Be careful out there.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  5. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    Actually, I heard the food isn't terrible. Of course that's coming from someone on the first team who made friends with the person in charge of the kitchen. They're having a team meeting this afternoon so I plan to ask if we can bring a camp stoves. I actually have mixed feelings about doing so if we will be allowed to.

6. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    We left out this morning. Started seeing signs of damage east of Tallahassee. Being on the interstate, it's just downed trees. Some our cleared up just enough to get them out f the travel lanes, but are still blocking the emergency lane. Lots of caravans returning; power company boom trucks, fire/rescue and tons of national guard. I heard it's a lot worse as you get closer.

Rare Steel and Gumbi like this.
  7. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Safe journey, and looking forward to hearing your trip reports.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  8. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I actually returned this afternoon. I only got about an hour from sleep last night and about 15 total over the 5 days, so I'll be posting my report tomorrow.

LongChinJon likes this.