Jämä Blanket Shirt from Varusteleka

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Dave_Markowitz, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A couple weeks ago I bought a Jämä Blanket Shirt from Varusteleka in the Finnish wool, and I used it for the first time on a recent deer hunting trip while hanging out in our cold cabin. I wore it over a Hill People Gear long sleeve base layer, a flannel shirt, and an Orvis fleece and wool vest. I was warm in the cabin where the temps were in the low 30s. It wasn't very windy outside and the Jämä shirt kept me warm when I stepped outside for a few minutes to take a leak. (Outside temps were in the 20s.)

front.jpg

front-hood-up.jpg

For size reference, I am about 5'5" with an 18" neck, 32" sleeves, a 45" chest, 48" gut (ouch), and normally wear an XL or 2XL, depending on the item of clothing or a brand's sizing. The Jämä Blanket Shirt that I bought is a 3XL. Since the garment does not stretch and you need to pull it on, it needs to be big, especially if you have any layers on.

back.jpg

As shown in the pictures, it has a kangaroo pocket, hood, and the back is longer than the front. There is a smaller pocket inside the kangaroo pocket. You could put a folding knife in there but I don't see myself getting much use out of it.

side.jpg

The stitching is good quality. I didn't notice any loose threads. The wool fabric is a bit nicer than an old military surplus blanket, which since it was intended for use in making clothing, makes sense. It's about the same weight as the old USGI M-1951 wool field shirts.

It's a good, basic hoodie. Compared with the Boreal Shirt it lacks some features. E.g., draw cord on the hood, an adjustable collar, and snaps or straps to cinch down the wrists. However, the Jämä shirt also about 1/3 the cost.

Do I recommend the Jämä wool blanket shirt? Yes, if the sizing and feature set work for you. I think it would work great for bowhunting in moderately cold weather, e.g., the 30s or 40s.

Primordial, JeffG, ExAF1N1 and 16 others like this.
  2. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of this in the Polish blanket version. I think I’d prefer the increased loft of the Polish wool versus the other options.

Winterhorse and Gii shi kan dug like this.
  3. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking outerwear. It seems that wearing a belt or sash of some sort around the waist area on the outside of the shirt would make it more functional and actually improve the looks. It would give it that 'mountain man or fur trade era' look.

Steve

jasam, Winterhorse and Dave_Markowitz like this.
  4. Dave_Markowitz

Dave_Markowitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed on a sash or belt around the outside. Another option would be to add a draw cord around the middle, to prevent it from billowing so much.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Could also stitch in a fabric elastic on the inside back panel at waist height.

Dave_Markowitz likes this.
  6. Mfraser161

Mfraser161 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Right on looks good. I like Varusteleka, I’ve ordered everything from cheap surplus to top of the line rucksacks from them and never been disappointed yet. Great shipping rates as well.

Dave_Markowitz likes this.
  7. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is really high on my list of wants, good to hear it’s worth it.