Joe Robinet YouTube Series on Norther Canada Trip

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by tabasco_joe, Jun 13, 2018 at 7:43 AM.

1. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Joe Robinet has a multipart series he is putting on YouTube of a trip he just made to northern Canada. He is spending about a week (maybe 10 days, I forget) alone on a lake with minimal gear. Sort of a short, Canadian trip themed similar to his Alone experience.

It caught my attention because he was using the same model canoe I bought for solo backcountry trips.

2. rustystove2017

rustystove2017 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  3. Chris keating

Chris keating Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As usual his videos are entertaining. McQ Bushcraft has interesting rooftop tent camp across Europe series going as well. And if you haven’t seen Shawn James log cabin solo build you should check him out

4. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The WILD suburbs of Morris County, NJ, USA
    I'm a fan of Joe's videos (though HATING his stupid sponsorship ADs now- what's the point of paying for youtube red to avoid ads, if you're now getting them locked WITHIN the videos?), and have been enjoying this series. I have a new day to look forward to watching today :)
    :40::40:

5. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    I get the impression that YouTube is cutting back on paying out add revenues to video posters. Thus I'm seeing more and more straight sponsorship included in the videos.
    Sometimes Joe doesn't look so interested in making the pitch.

6. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I saw this recent group of his videos. Watched them off a Roku and used it as background noise, so maybe I missed it, but don't specifically recall any advertising.

7. Chris keating

Blog Posts:
    @Tangotag that’s exactly what I do, watch YouTube bushy videos as background noise through my Xbox.

8. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I'm not surprised Joe himself is such a down to earth guy, I bet he hates doing those sponsorships - but now that he's using his videos as his full time work, he HAS to do whatever is necessary to make money, even if he doesn't like it.. Like most hobbies in the world, even bushcraft can get spoiled by trying to make a living doing it...

9. Chris keating

Blog Posts:
    What about the demonetization of anything perceived as violent. No catch clean and cook if you wanna be you tube famous. Kinda sad imho. Ta outdoors made some concessions and does videos that you have to click on a separate link to circumvent YouTube but I’m sure they will catch on to that. I am curious if the run the videos through video recognition algorithms or actual humans watch them and wield their gavel.

10. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    +1 on Shawn James at My Self Reliance. Oddly satisfying just watching him build without all the talking.

11. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’m loving the Joe videos. I like that he has some bushcraft activities included. I’m not as big a fan of the straight paddling as fast as you can thing. As far as ads in his videos I just skip ahead if I’m not interested.

12. piney

piney Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Can you tell us more about your canoe please? It looks ultralight.

13. hillst1

hillst1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like more than 10 items to me but still a great trip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    CivilizationDropout likes this.
  14. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    I believe they use viewer reports to identify and then review. There are people who will review videos simply to report what they feel are infractions. Much of it motivated by politics.
    One of the flyfishing channels I watch mentioned they got an infraction for cleaning a fish on camera. Sorry but the Chefs will have to resort to cutting meat off camera. :confused:
    I wonder when slicing vegetables becomes unacceptable?

15. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don’t do much YouTubing unless I’m looking for something specific but I follow Joe on IG where he’s been posting screen shots of his 10 day adventure and some other less bushcrafty things.

He recently caught a lot of flak for posting a pic of a new firearm he picked up. Good heavens, you’d have thought he posted a pic of himself kicking a small child with the way some people reacted.

Takes some guts to put yourself out there like that for the world and then deal with all the keyboard critics. I give him and other YouTubers credit in that regard.

16. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    OT but... I'm curious what you guys are talking about.
    I just watched a video a couple weeks ago of someone with a freshly shot pigeon cleaning and cooking it. I went and looked and it's still there.
    The channel does not have ads in it.

So is it just the folks with monetized channels who had to pull their clean and cook videos?

17. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't look like it affects the Bearded Woodsman's channel either
    hmmm :33:

Anyway, carry on with Robinet :)

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  18. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    It really depends on who watches and then submits a report. Channels with low viewership are less likely to have someone watching who isn't really interested in the content for enjoyment.
    Or a title that doesn't attract attention or gets a hit on a Google search.
    Usually the ones with large number of subscribers are monetized.
    Even Wranglerstar was commenting about getting an infraction. He's open about his religious beliefs and has some firearms related videos.

PAcanis and CivilizationDropout like this.
  19. Chris keating

Blog Posts:
    @PAcanis basically it means you won’t make nearly as much money. You won’t make it into any recommended list. Where the ads that pay the most are,I watch bearded woodsmen too and albeit his content is good his viewership is like 30 percent of joes. Shawn James has gotten like 350k subscribers in the last year alone. That’s huge.

PAcanis likes this.
  20. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Thank you gentlemen.

I'm getting the feeling it's like gun videos. Someone on one of the forums was always posting about YT pulling all the gun vids, but I was still watching them. I guess it is selective depending on if you get reported or not. A shame, but it's their playground. I wish someone would give them serious competition.

21. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't run adds on my utube stuff, and have an age restricted video of a road kill deer.

22. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

So you've never been asked to pull some of your content?

23. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    I watch MCQ as well. Another good solid youtube series. I've really enjoyed seeing him and his wife interacting :) That jeep tent is wild!

24. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    He explains that, and yes, he isn't being completely purist, but he doesn't have to.. this is his trip, so he did make room for a couple extras (and he'll explain there is a lot of gear that is not included in his ten items). What I observed is that he's lucky the weather has generally been good. I remember watching Alone (perhaps not his season, but one of them) where it rained, and rained... and rained... he's lucky he caught the area at a good weather time.

hillst1 and Chris keating like this.
  25. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I haven't watched any of Robinet's latest videos.
    Is he doing this on purpose, so to say?
    I mean, it seems awfully coincidental he is doing an "Alone series" and using a limited amount of items at the same time things are apparently getting ramped up for the reality TV series. Did he not get asked back or something? Or maybe it's just smart marketing on his part. Especially using "alone" in the title.

26. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This isn’t @RangerJoe’s post. I know he peeps in of the forum though so maybe he will reply.

tabasco_joe likes this.
  27. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    I honestly assumed he was asking @tabasco_joe since he said in his OP he has the same model of canoe.

I didn’t realize Joe still popped in here. I always liked his contributions and especially the chemistry with him, Bushtramp, Stuff and a few others and their shared trip reports. Still not sure what happened, they all seemed to cut out around the same time, but I think the forum lost some great contributors and real do-ers when they left.

piney and Luchtaine like this.
  28. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Luchtaine and tabasco_joe like this.
  29. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sad part is from the sounds of it. Its really hard to make any money on YouTube anymore.. there is even some channels that rely on merch sales and events they go too. One guy said because of the loss of funding fro. YouTube he cant even cover gas for trips. Important to support these guys if you enjoy the content

30. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    I have real mixed feelings about the concept of being “YouTube famous.” Need gas/food money, get a real job is my knee-jerk and cynical answer to that. Make a living by playing all day and videotaping it... we should all be so lucky.

On the other side, one could argue that it’s the entertainment that’s the purpose and there’s value in that which I suppose I can understand. And yes, I fully admit that I’m probably more than a little jealous as I sit here in my office, avoiding work at a job I mostly hate. And as I said above, it takes guts to put yourself out there and your life on display. Not everyone can get in front of a camera and provide something that lots of people actually want to watch.

I couldn’t do it. My wife wouldn’t let me do it or tolerate me being in the woods and away from her and my son that often anyways. And frankly, I wouldn’t want to be.

Ah well. To each their own.

31. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Lost In the Woods Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You got a point. But it is a real job. Not to be a fan boy but the amount of time, effort, resources and editing and everything else evolved we can arguably say is harder then most people 9-5.

Honestly I wod do it if I truly believed I could. Sadly my confidence is not there lol anyway as you said. To each their own

HeadyBrew likes this.
  32. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I missed your question. It's a Northstar Solo. 16 ft The two lightest versions are 28# and 30# respectively. I got mine at Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville. On the Susquehanna just north of Harrisburg.
    I only got it a year ago and haven't gotten out on any backcountry trips yet. But on the local lake (Nockamixon 1400 A) it handles better than my kayaks. Slices through the water like a knife.
    I just got tired lugging a heavy canoe and decided to bite the bullet and get a high end one. Seems so odd being able to lift a canoe with one arm.
    I took it out with a couple paddles and tried a few things. On a lake it paddles real well with a double bladed paddle made for standon boards.

piney likes this.
  33. Bad Little Falls

Bad Little Falls Guide

Blog Posts:
    No. The age restriction just popped up. I have not had any request to pull the video. I did get a notice saying utube was going to not allow me to use their private message service because I don't use it enough, seems odd. I had a radio playing in the back ground on one video and utube put an add on it because I hadn't noted the music. I wonder who the funds from the add went to?

PAcanis likes this.
  34. tabasco_joe

Blog Posts:
    Joe's own boat is a Swift. But in this series he flew in and borrowed an outfitters Northstar.
    They are similar. The Swift is a bit shorter and a couple pounds lighter. But the Northstar can carry more weight. It would certainly be a better choice for a big guy.
    I think Joe weighs something like 140 so he can carry a bit more weight in his swift. A 200# guy with a lot of gear would probably be too much for the Joe's Swift. (They also have larger models.)
    I'm 6'2" 180 so I appreciate the larger boat.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM
  35. Luchtaine

Luchtaine Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That’s my bad, I missed the OP mentioning it. Joe hasn’t been on since April. I haven’t checked on Doug but he frequents still as well.

piney likes this.