Jungle basic survival lessons from the Légion Etrangère (Foreign Legion)

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Nicolas CJ, May 7, 2019.

1. Nicolas CJ

Nicolas CJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is a recent video made by a journalist during a stay in the French Guyana at a survival training camp of the French Foreign Legion.
    Even if it is in French, I think most of you will recognize useful survival technics : using tarps, batonning, making a fire...
    It is not so much the technics that are interesting than the fact they are taught to novice soldiers.

RickWA, FIELDCRAFTLTC, JeffG and 7 others like this.
  2. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The thing that strikes me as special about the Legion is how they can mold such a completely diverse group of men into a cohesive fighting unit.

LongChinJon, JeffG and Nicolas CJ like this.
  3. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    I looked into the Legion as a career choice at one point. The thing that struck me was the lack of compromise, and choices for the candidate. YOU DO IT THEIR WAY. After the Marines, it was something I understood. Par le voix Frances?

jackburton319, Timex and x39 like this.
  4. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The foreign legion is very cool. France has a law that says its armed forces can only fight on french soil. So to join you have to denounce your citizenship. It's kinda on the line of the Roman Legion good retirement few get to see. Nice video thanks for sharing.

Timex and JeffG like this.
  5. Nicolas CJ

Nicolas CJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You are true when you say French Foreign Legion is cool and very much appreciated.
    In the French Foreign Legion, you can not be French to be a soldier (officer can be French). So if you are French and want to join, you have to use another identity to join. You can use whatever identity you want to join, even if military intelligence will try to know the truth.
    But I am sorry but I don't know the law you refered to. There are many recent examples of French army fighting in other countries : Irak, Afghanistan, Syrie, Lybie, Mali... Even today two French commandos were killed in operation in Burkina.

okapimike and MrFixIt like this.
  6. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Nicolas CJ its in the French constitution and the commandos had to have been from the foreign legion because of this law

7. Nicolas CJ

Nicolas CJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am afraid I don't know this law you mention.
    As an example, today we have a special tribute to the two commandos killed in a hostage rescue operation in Burkina Fasso, in Africa. Both were from the Hubert commando, equivalent to the Navy Seals or SAS. Both were French. None was in the Foreign Legion before (I said that because if you stay 5 years in the Foreign Legion, you may get the French nationality).
    And as I said before, thousands French soldiers were and still are engaged in military operations in different countries, mainly in Africa and in the Middle East... (more than 10 000 French soldiers were engaged abroad in 2018).
    What is true is that the Foreign Legion is usually one of the first task force sent by French governement on a hot spot. Because it is very convenient, well trained and prepared. And it is part of the deal when you join the Legion. "French by the blood shed".

Timex and x39 like this.
  8. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Link to citation of this?

Nicolas CJ likes this.
  9. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    C'est la guerre, C'est la Mercinare. Thanks for posting.

jackburton319 likes this.