Just got a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Ravenbar, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Scout

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

Nearly rust free, which as anyone in the northeast knows, is rare. Just a small spot on the back hatch and some surface rust a couple spots underneath.

Has a evap leak that I'll need to track down and the dreaded death woddble between 45-50mph. new tie-rods and ball joints are included as well as brake rotor and pads for the last corner that hasn't been done yet. Also has a engine miss the owner attributed to fuel injectors needing cleaning(new o-rings also included to pull and clean the injectors). My brother, who drives just about the same model, and who is a mechanic said it's probably a coil pack.

Payed $1300 for it, which was what I offered, probably could have got it for less. I figure even if it takes another $1700 to get it going, I can get 5 years out of it and only have spent $600 a year up front. The car I'm driving now I got 3 years ago for $1800 and it was half rotted when I got it. Mechanical issues are much easier to deal with than repairing rust holes.

ra2bach, Flint_2016, Broke and 8 others like this.
  2. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks to be in great shape for the year. I agree that I would rather repair mechanical then cosmetic. Although I have no business doing either!

3. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    Is it taking a long time to crank? Mine had a leaking fuel injector, so it took a long time to crank which made it throw an evap leak code. I disremember which one.

Mine was a 2001, which I bought in a hurry. I regret buying that one, as it had been poorly maintained before me and I had too much other stuff going on to keep up with. If I had started with a better one I would likely still have it.

Straight six?

4. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seemed to start easy the only time I heard it run. That was after a fight with a dead battery though so it may have been primed a bit beforehand. I've already bought a new battery for it. Might be something left on somewhere as the previous owner said they went away on vacation and when they came back the battery was dead and hasn't held a charge since. He also put his truck battery in it and it also went dead.

This thing also has had its share of interesting repairs. The radiator has a t build into it below the radiator cap thats got a plug in it originally from what I've seen in pictures. A rubber fernco coupling is clamped onto the radiator and a PVC pipe plug clamped into the other end. Probably will need a new radiator. Previous owner pointed it out and said that's the way he got it. Speculated the radiator was originally out of something else.

Yes, 4.0l L6 with auto trans, 4wd.

5. James of Arc

James of Arc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a 96 Cherokee Laredo and Jeep got this model right. The 4.0 is hard to kill. 250,000 miles on mine but I started to have electrical problems so I parked it and will soon be gutting it out and making an off road vehicle and I will be dropping in a V-Chevy. Even after they die they are worth resurrecting.

6. BillyBogota

BillyBogota Functional Weirdo Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good buy, I've got a 2003 in the same model, and it's a zombie -- it just won't die. The only issue I had long term was the dreaded fan relay issue (Jeep used a bad part, and put it in a bad spot), and a worn out vacuum hose under the battery tray (that apparently kills the vent selector and cruise control when it goes out -- weird). Both of those were pretty easy fixes -- hope you get plenty of use out of it!

Flint_2016 likes this.
  7. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The Grand Cherokees up to 2004 still had the solid axle front suspension which has much better articulation than the later IFS front suspensions so much better for ruff offroad use, and much better for suspension lifting and other upgrades. You have a diamond in the rough offroad vehicle-wise with much potential for improvement. Congratulations.

8. Ravenbar

Ravenbar Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got it up on a lift at my brothers work the other day for it's emissions inspection. After he inspected it, him and another mechanic went under and gave it a though checking. He also balanced the tires and the death wobble issue the previous owner reported and included a pile of front end parts for turned out to be a bad tire balance. With all the going through, they only found a couple issues. Read upper control arm bushing on one side is shot. Planning on a new upper control arm and balljoint for that. He gave me a good uesed coil off his(had a misfire when he got it years ago, issue turned out to be elsewhere. I've got new plugs for it. Engine misses occasionally at idle(not throwing any codes other than one pending cylinder 4 missfire that I saw that cleared itself) and more under load. He also said it sounded like there might be some valve issues. Mine also needs an alignment bit no sense in doing that until the rear control arms dealt with. If the coil and plugs don't fix the misfire issue, I'll probably replace the injectors as the previous owner claimed he'd had problems with them.

He's going to be parting out his 2001 when he gets his Commander on the road as the WJ's body's rotted out. He's got Goodyear Wrangler AT/s with Kevlar that I'll be putting on mine at some point.

9. PaulTX

PaulTX Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought a 1989 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo new and put 250,000 miles on it. It was still running strong when I sold it. Other things were "failing" on it: paint, headliner, electric door locks, etc.

10. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know how you must've felt just knowing you were about the get it.I'm hoping I could afford to finance a Jeep Patriot Sport,the payments being only $150.Sales rep said he'd accept the $1600 I have for the down payment.Don't know how many miles are on it,but it's a 2008 and is in great condition.Once ya have a 4x4,ya never wanna go back.I've gone through five in my life,the last one,my Kia Sportage,I had to sell because we couldn't afford to keep two vehicles.Then the guy(a friend) who bought it,totaled it a few months later,and had only liability insurance on it.Went to the junk yard.I could've punched em for it.Enjoy your new toy,you deserve it.