Kelty Backpacks

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by mangorockfish, Aug 9, 2018.

1. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have two Kelty external frame packs that I use, a large one and a small one. Is anyone else using them? I know they are getting on up in years, but mine are still doing me a good job.

Guttersnipe, Winterhorse and Bobsdock like this.
  2. raschalt2000

raschalt2000 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have two large ones. One I keep packed with winter stuff and the other for when it’s not freezing.

I find I like the modularity of the external packs better than the stability of an internal. I’m never in a rush anyway.

3. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael

Blog Posts:
    Don't have Keltys, but recently bought 3 of these older Camp Trails Scout frame packs for under $100 total including shipping. I'm very impressed with the quality. The straps adjust from fitting my 6 year old daughter all the way up to fitting my 21" torso so my kids should have them as long as they want to. Planning on breaking them in the Smokies on the Sugarlands trail very soon. Kids carried them on a 3 mile hike last week and did great. I recently purchased an internal frame pack to try, but I've always used frame packs up to now.

[​IMG]

4. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a newish one (2009 or so) Kelty Tioga I think, and a 30ish year old one that my granddad through-hiked the AT with. Still use them both, took the old one to Philmont back in the day, and the new one as well. They work fine, but I'm in the market for something different.

5. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would like to try one but hard to find in my area and shipping on used ones is a little too much.

I'm using a no-name brand external frame pack that I bought new about 3 years ago. I actually really like it but wish it had a few more features.

I just made some repairs to it so it's good for another few seasons. When it wears out beyond repair I'm going to come looking for a Kelty!

6. Yankee Cymro

Yankee Cymro Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have always preferred the external frames over the internal frames. Kelty was groundbreaking in the development of external frames with the introduction of the classic aluminum "H" style frames. They really evolved in the 1990's and early 2000's with the introduction of their "Thru Hiker" series packs and their 50th anniversary packs. I have an old Pacific Crest Kelty from the Thru Hiker series and I absolutely love it. The Kelty 50th anniversary pack won a Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice Award in 2002. Sadly these innovative external frames disappeared from production for some reason. The remaining packs are used and aging, but still fetch big prices when they come up for sale. I'm always on the look out for them.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  7. mangorockfish

mangorockfish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They still have the pack to frame pins, the ball type end plugs for the frames and I think they still offer some external frame packs. Their new company name is Exxel Outdoors and they are some of the nicest people to deal with I have ever found. They sent me some of the pins and the end plugs without charge. I always look for the "Best offer" on ebay with the best shipping rates. With that you can do OK usually.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  8. Imgoingforawalk

Imgoingforawalk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep. Still use my Kelty external for anything over a couple days that my kelty redwing 50 is a bit too small for. You just can’t beat external packs for volume/attachment points. Did philmont with an Xbox controller and 70+ lbs of gear. Something I don’t think I would want to attempt with most internal frame packs... or in retrospect any pack ever again, though the kelty external carried it all without complaint.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  9. Appalachian

Appalachian Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kelty red wing (no frame) for rite at 20 years or so, its been all over the country and still usable, do need to replace it tho, probably with another Kelty.

Midwest.Bushlore and Guttersnipe like this.
  10. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kelty Yukon 48 and I like it a lot. It's easy to strap items above or below the pack. I wear a hat in the rain and the frame doesn't interfere at all. The one issue was dealing with the noises from the frame. I swapped clevis pins in for key rings and used velcro cable ties to hold them tight to the frame. I also sewed velcro to some pieces of fabric-backed neoprene to wrap around the frame where the hip belt attaches. These two modifications prevents basically all noise from the rucksack. The creaking of the hip belt against the frame was the biggest issue, really.

To be perfectly honest, I think I've developed a taste for Kelty. I have a Redwing 32 day pack and a Trail Ridge 3 tent as well.

11. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a Kelty Tioga 5500 pretty regularly. Also have a Kelty Cache Freighter pack frame for meat hauling.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mine was a knockoff I think it was Mountain Master. It disappeared with a bunch of my gear in a move in ‘89. :( (Mover ripped off everything that was in one garage bay) Liked it a lot, went a lot of miles with that one on my back. I think my Borde stove was in the pack. Grrr...

Guttersnipe likes this.
  13. MHW

MHW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Yukon, and like it a lot-- and, as stated above, the company is lovely to deal with

Guttersnipe likes this.
  14. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kelty Slickrock 5500 or 6000 that I bought in late 98-early 99 I think. It's an internal frame that fits me well and carries 50-65 lbs very well for multi day trips. I need to dig it out and put it back to use again. Lately I've been abusing an old EMS 3000 or 3500 as I've been leaving more and more stuff behind.

15. rayj

rayj Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I still have my OLD divided main compartment Kelty from many many years ago. Has three divided compartments in the main bag with a zippered portion for the old down bag I carried. Pockets on the outside with a Kelty raincover...yep still have that too! Has the old aircraft aluminum H frame with the padded lumbar support, “updated” shoulder straps and stainless zippers and the long wire that holds the pack to the frame. Doesn’t go with me as much these days but it is still a reliable comfortable pack! Memories galore with this one!