Kentucky flea market guns sales

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wisconsinwalter, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i am not going to be controversial on this but I have a simple question for Ky residents.

Coming back from Myrtle Beach this weekend, we stopped at “Flealand” to look for watches.

As we walked around and couldn’t believe the number of pistols for sale on tables.
    In WI, we see rifles all the time but never pistols at flea markets.

I didn’t see any pistols I needed so I didn’t ask questions.

My question is: is it really that easy to purchase a pistol in Ky? Not sure I like that. Although it seems most problems are city related and not country folk who are the abusing the system.

Please limit your responses to purchasing at flea markets and not a bunch of platitudes or hyperboles.

I believe in the right to purchase wherever you want but I don’t trust the sellers judgement to sell to everyone.

designtom, central joe and Haggis like this.
  2. anno lynke

anno lynke Tracker

Blog Posts:
    purchases at flea markets are private sales. unless a dealer has set up a booth. with a dealer you need to go thru background checks. private sales are totally legal. it as if you are selling a gun to a friend. the news would call this the gun show loophole, even though i rarely see private sales at gun shows anymore.

3. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks scary hu?
    It’s pretty simple. To buy from an individual You must be 18. there are no state laws specifically regarding the purchase of any gun.

Now we can talk what changes and restrictions we need to add to this legal activity so everyone feels safe.

x39, Paulyseggs, Wasp and 2 others like this.
  4. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, legal to sell. It varies by state as to pistol sales. In New York you can't even handle a pistol without a valid weapons license. Now, I don't know the law as to volume. With a table full of pistols I would assume they had an FFL.

Haggis likes this.
  5. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Private sales are legal in Ohio as well. Heck, Dad special ordered a rifle from the Sears catalog back in the 60's, it was mailed directly to his house.

Haggis likes this.
  6. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in Kentucky, and can remember in the ‘60’s and early ‘70’s buying new or used pistols at gas stations and grocery stores... Not all mind you, but out in the country, it was a thing.

Moved away from there 25 years ago, but even then, in the mid ‘90’s, gun trades would take place in the local restaurant,,, Someone would drag out a revolver or two or a pistol, “Careful, it’s loaded”, and pass it around to see if there was a buyer in the place.

No one seemed to notice much...

Can’t say much about the right or wrong of it, isn’t my place to have anything more than my own opinion, but it was a cultural thing... Most anyone from someplace else might find it strange.

Mt. Sterling, where I was from, had “Court Days” in October,,, the traditional hanging month, back in the day,,, and folks would bring every sort of gun to sell or trade,,, eventually moved that to Preston, a few miles away. Took the dog traders with them too,,, Most everyone was glad of that latter part...

Pretty easy to go there and come home with a gun that wouldn’t shoot, and a dog that would only hunt a food bowl or shady spot...

Hard to change a culture,,, whether it’s a right or a wrong culture, it’s hard to change it... Can take many generations... Big wheels turn slow I reckon...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  7. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    THAT went away with the GCA68 51 years ago. Prior to GCA68 serial numbers weren't mandatory.

Zaveral likes this.
  8. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If the flea market gave you the willies, wait till you see Court Days...

Pilot, 66drifter and Haggis like this.
  9. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Didn’t have the “willies”! In fact I was angry! We fight so hard to keep our rights to bear and keep arms, that old guys who buy and sell guns with zero accountability for the sale “in my opinion” is a disaster waiting to happen.

I guess the answer to the question I asked is “In Ky, no problem buying and selling pistols to ANYBODY is legal”.

That’s all I wanted to know since I didn’t ask on-site

Haggis and Cwlongshot like this.
  10. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wisconsinwalter, in KY face to face sales of handguns and long guns is legal, you must be 18 to purchase a long gun and 21 to purchase a handgun. For a long gun you must be a KY resident or live in an adjoining state, for a handgun you must be a KY resident. Obviously the purchaser can not be a prohibited person, ie convicted felon, under indictment, have a EPO/DVO or domestic violence conviction so on and so forth. Now obviously how strictly people follow the law varies by individual but there have been enough undercover operations by the BATFE and the Kentucky State Police over the years that most pay close attention to the rules.

Also as far as accountability for sale of used firearms go, the ability to successfully trace a firearm is not nearly what people believe it to be especially for an older gun that may have changed hands several times. It is easy to go from the distributor to the first dealer to the first purchaser but it often falls apart at that point because people trade/sell guns and often don't remember who they sold them to particularly if it has been years since they sold it.

KY us one of the strongest second amendment states in the nation, no waiting periods, face to face sales, constitutional open and concealed carry for residents, city preemption laws to where county and local government can't pass firearms restriction laws.

11. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the answer to the question! Refreshing! I didn’t want to ask because of the attn to myself and the seller

ezra45 and 1773 like this.
  12. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The practice of private citizens selling firearms has been going on for a couple hundred years. Now, all of a sudden it's freaking people out?? Get a grip!!

-John

13. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    I will get a grip when you get a clue! Fair??

This perceived freedom is one bad school shooting or cop killing away!

I owe no felon, wife beater, illegal or terrorist any access to something they have no right to have.

CSM1970 likes this.
  14. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    WW, you will find quite a few states where this is not only legal it is common practice amongst consenting participants

a common scenario would be that the seller views the buyer's driver's license(official photo ID) to insure the age requirements for ownership are met and that the buyer is the one pictured on the license

money changes hands and the firearm goes home with a new owner

it is also common/legal to see indivuals who are not set up walking around markets w/ guns to sell or trade in many states

it is sad that this practice that was very common even in the recent(my lifetime) past has become alarming/unsettling in today's society(just my personal opinion)

15. slysir

Blog Posts:
    Honest citizens are honest, criminals are criminals. When someone can come up with an additional infringement that will change all that I'll listen. Haven't seen one yet!!

-John

16. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed! At least in WI, you have to have a valid ID to buy even at flea markets. Most ethical sellers take your name and address and add to a notebook.

I have asked many sellers at our Fleas selling to groups of nationally challenged, non English speaking people if they are checking ID’s

What I saw in KY would even disturb the the most ardent supporters of private sales.

I wasn’t from there so I would have been out of my standing to ask.

To be clear, I am for the 98% to be unimpaired. The 2% will ruin it all for us.

Haggis, slysir and 66drifter like this.
  17. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    You start of by saying you don’t want to be controversial and then continue on to spew forth your twisted ideas of freedom about a state your not even a resident of, why not just keep traveling on to your home state and let Ky residents enjoy the freedom that they have kept by not voting in politicians that act on “feelings” and not following the constitution.

18. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    [QUOTE="wisconsinwalter, post: 4507019, member: 14726)

I have asked many sellers at our Fleas selling to groups of nationally challenged, non English speaking people if they are checking ID’s.[/QUOTE]
    Again, sounds like someone who’s poking his nose in where he has no authority, that information would actually be none of your business and what would non English speaking have to do with anything? I personally know many who speak very little English who I bump into at gunshows on a regular basis who are actually tax paying legal law abiding residents .

haunted, masiaka, jasam and 1 other person like this.
  19. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Something in me really enjoys the “There should be gun laws” vs. “There should be no gun laws” discussions...

20. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Then lock them up and keep them there, keep mental people under key and murderers on a rope. Legal free citizens should be able to trade with legal free citizens with legal goods.
    You know, in Europe you have to be 18 to buy a knife to cut up vegetables in your kitchen.

Lee C., Zaveral, GotTheCrohns and 9 others like this.
  21. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    I personally have no problem with gun laws that actual criminals are suppose to follow, it’s the ones directed at the law abiding citizens that are un necessary and simply a tool to assert more control over the common man under the guise of public safety.

Butler Ford, Lee C., jstert and 4 others like this.
  22. slysir

Blog Posts:
    I believe the OP has good intentions, but is completely misguided. Come down hard on the criminal and leave law abiding citizens alone!!

:42:

-John

23. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome

Bryan King likes this.
  24. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Meanwhile, in Great Britain...

upload_2019-7-15_12-7-5.png

25. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nothing wrong with private sales, the intrastate sale, trade, and barter of privately owned firearms (hand guns and long guns) between citizens resident in the same state. It is the only way I buy, trade, and sell firearms. Not the government's business. I can sell to anyone resident in my state who I have no reason to believe is a prohibited person. Bill of sale isn't even required.

You know what they say about opinions. Everyone has an opinion. I'll operate according to law vs. opinion.

I don't. And I'm not unethical either.

I've never done more than verified the buyers residency, and I've never had a seller/trader do more than verify my residency via my driver's license.

In my jurisdiction, private sales help keep the government out of our business and lives. Government is already too involved in our lives.

Yes. Gun control often has little to do with guns and everything to do with control.

Butler Ford, Lee C., Zaveral and 10 others like this.
  26. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In PA, we can sell longarms face to face between residents, but all pistol transfers are required to run through an FFL. This burden inhibits free trade among law abiding gun owners and creates an "it's not a database" database that can be used in Australian style confiscation. The varying FFL fees of $20 to $75 per handgun transfer weaken purchasing power and adversely affect the value of everyone's personal collection. I'm glad for the good citizens of Kentucky that they have this freedom. I wish we did, too.

27. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    All too commonly, the difference between a law abiding citizen and a criminal is one impulsive act.

masiaka and jasam like this.
  28. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Whenever we start finding one guilty simply on the assumption he or she may one day act on impulse we are certainly a doomed society .

GotTheCrohns, masiaka, jasam and 3 others like this.
  29. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I had rather think we were a doomed society the moment we assumed everyone over the age of 18 was competent from that point foreword to make fully adult decisions,,, But that’s just me, and my personal opinion isn’t worth much...

30. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Scout

Blog Posts:
    You need driver's licenses and such to address the operation of a motor vehicle because driving a car on state roads is a PRIVILEGE. You really should not need anything to own and operate a firearm, as it is a RIGHT. Every additional step that we now must take to own and use firearms is just erosion of that right. The whole "shall not be infringed" part seems to have been forgotten. Yes, we don't want felons and nut cases getting firearms. That said, our current process does not do that, it only infringes on law abiding citizens.

mjh, jstert, bradleybuckman and 3 others like this.
  31. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I count myself lucky that I grew up and matured in a time where there seemed to be less violence of the type seen today in many of our big cities. I doubt there is an exact single cause for the lack of regard for human life seen in our society but my opinion is that it lies at the feet of video games, violent movies, and in many cases lack of parental guidance; JMHO.

But back to firearms transfers. I have attended hundreds of gun shows in 5 states both as an exhibitor and an FFL dealer/exhibitor. In the 60s-90s ,face to face transactions were common without background checks with people taking the responsibility to sell to what appeared to be upstanding citizens, upon themselves.
    Were any guns sold to criminals? Yes, of course. In our society, we take many chances daily and mistakes are made. Freedom comes with risk and responsibility. Will bad things happen to good people? Again, of course, just as it has throughout human history.

I fear the time is approaching when the Thought Police will not be part of a Hollywood action movies. There is a large portion of the U.S. and frankly, world population, that believe the right to defend oneself is negotiable and if a group of those people gain enough political power, that right is suspended.

I mean no disrespect to any forum members, but if someone thinks I or my family members are potential evil-doers because we own firearms, I have a real problem with their thinking. America was based on the freedoms enumerated by our founding fathers and granted, America has changed greatly from the way she was in 1776, but we are still the sons and daughters that benefit from that experience.

Much of that freedom has been taken from us by various parts of our government over the years but it is time to come to our collective sense. Never before have the right to self-protection and basic freedoms been so under attack. The disparaging comments of the so-called gun show loophole or face to face transfer of firearms so much in the news today is just a tiny part of the rot which is affecting our society , again, IMHO. Time after time, it comes out that the evil-doers that use a firearm to kill innocents either obtained the firearms legally through a dealer or had a relative or friend do so. That or the firearm was stolen from a relative or friend who owned the gun legally.
    And yet, who seems to get the blame? Legal gun owners. The NRA or GOA. Firearms manufacturers. Background checks are not the end-all that is claimed by the antis.

I do not mind going through background checks for purchase. I do mind someone telling me I am a potential criminal because I own a gun. As has been said many times recently, that is like saying that every male is a potential rapist because of his plumbing.

Rant over,

ezra

mjh, jstert, Gascozark and 7 others like this.
  32. slysir

Blog Posts:
    :D:p And might I add, giving women the right to vote!!:eek::confused::34:

-John

Stophel likes this.
  33. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’m convinced the only difference between women and men is respect, plumbing, pay scale...

J. Pierce, ezra45 and slysir like this.
  34. slysir

Blog Posts:
    Are you forgetting the difference that when a women says, "smell this"...it usually smells good!! :p:D

-John

35. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Ha

36. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mount Sterling. I lived in Lexington for three and a half years and hangered plane at Mount Sterling airport. I took my German Shorthaired Pointer with me to Court Days. On the way down to the flea market from the parking lot, there were several guys walking back to their cars with guns. It thought ALL RIGHT, this is my kind of place! The dog was a big hit with everyone as there were many bird hunters there. Fun times.

Haggis likes this.
  37. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    only thing better than a flea market was the informal swap meet going on in the parking lot at the livestock sale. Actually at that time there were very few flea markets in that area but it was rural Kaintuck.

38. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    “Pen hookers” could always be counted on to have a variety of swaps: knives, guns, trucks, etc... going on at any given time, and trying to make a buck on other folks livestock at the same time...

Last time I sold any cattle, there was a sign saying “No Pen Hooking”,,, The end of an interesting era for sure.

jasam and randyt like this.
  39. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    nice thing about it, there was no strangers. We knew everyone or practically so. Not to say I have anything against strangers but it was nice knowing who we were dealing with.

Haggis likes this.
  40. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    In my state, tax dollars cannot be used for gun "buybacks".

In my town, the police occasionally advertise a Saturday to take in firearms any citizens will voluntarily turn in. Sometimes the cops give a gift card in exchange with gift cards provided by a wealth benefactor (but she recently moved, thank GOD).

During these turn-ins at the police HQ, local gun collectors park on the street at the police HQ with signs stating "Cash for guns here" and will purchase guns of interest right then and there. Totally legal. Cops don't even bat an eyelid. They know they can't do a thing about it.

41. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's what's great about the United STATES of America. If you're weirded out by the mores of a particular state you can 'vote with your feet'.

For now.

Eventually we'll be a homogeneous, Orwellian United Nation of Newyorkifornia, embrace the quirkiness inherent in the founding principles of our nation while you still can.

(Strictly speaking about flea markets- it's no different than selling through a newspaper classified was, or word-of-mouth. That was considered normal enough in Colorado from 1876 until 2013).

jstert, barkoguru, ezra45 and 3 others like this.
  42. jasam

jasam Scout

Blog Posts:
    In the 1770s there were some felons and nutcases that had some crazy ideas about laws and individual rights. Sure am glad they had guns otherwise none of us might.

Lee C., Zaveral, masiaka and 5 others like this.
  43. branchwater

branchwater Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Amen! I was born and raised in Kentucky. Some would say I don't speak English.

jasam likes this.
  44. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Strange, isn't it, that since the enactment of the GCA68 law, and all the additional laws that have followed it, society as a whole appears to have become much more frightened, not only of guns, but also of how knives, etc, and of how anything may happen to be carried on your person.
    I'm wondering if there is a correlation that... the more laws that are passed in the name of supposedly making everyone safe, the more frightened and paranoid the population will increasingly become. :33:

Lee C., Zaveral, ezra45 and 2 others like this.
  45. slysir

Blog Posts:
    The next mass shooting or school shooting is right around the corner, you can bet on it. And all that proves is that all the redundant gun laws already on the books won't do squat to prevent it. Why would anyone think that another law would be the answer?

The real answer is obvious. Allow innocent citizens the ability to shoot back, anywhere, anytime. No more laws!! No more infringements!! There's a growing element in this country that's saying you're pushing this too far!!

:42:

-John

46. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    KY sounds pretty nice

Lee C., leghog, Stophel and 2 others like this.
  47. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Kentucky is awesome.................

Lee C. and Paulyseggs like this.
  48. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Seems like that can work both ways.

Out of the cities, people didn’t much carry guns, other than the odd cranky old coot, when I was growing up in Eastern Kentucky and Northern Indiana... Then laws changed to allow folk easier access to permits to concealed carry, and those folk wanted to open carry, “stand your ground”, no permits to carry, no laws at all concerning firearms,,, forget the rhetoric, for several generations folk didn’t much “legally carry” firearms, now certain folk don’t feel safe if they aren’t weighted down with legal firearms,,, and ammo.

One fella says the unarmed citizen is frightened of the “Armed Citizen”, next fella says the unarmed citizen is bearing the burden of the “Armed Citizens’” fears, both sides got an honest view of it.

Nothing much wrong with taking sides in the gun debate, none at all, but it’s a mite more entertaining to wander from camp to camp giving an honest listen to folk.

Pablo, Kona9, jasam and 2 others like this.
  49. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I like to take a scientific perspective. Is there any evidence of KY guns being purchased by felons and used to commit crimes? A lot of things seem scary, but that's because life is precious and fragile, and we don't like to be reminded that permanent sleep is just around the bend for any of us at any time. IMO. To me, private gun sales are just the one of the rights people in free states enjoy. If you want to see something scary, get into a car with a teenager.

bradleybuckman, ezra45 and stillman like this.
  50. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Why not ask rather than be scared and angry?
    You might be projecting a prejudice and not even know it.

bradleybuckman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.