Kenwood wool blanket - Would you buy on a budget?

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by ozarkhunter, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I found a "vintage" Kenwood Famous all wool blanket (made in Canada) that has never been used or cleaned. It was stored in the factory bag and has no wear, stains or damage.
    I can't afford to spend a chunk of money to buy higher end/better known wool blankets. Hoping to pick this one up for around $50 - Queen sized - 76"x90". Anyone have an idea of a reasonable price?

Bobsdock and Red Ochre like this.
  2. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Kenwood wool blankets are high quality.
    Vintage = Better in almost all cases.
    Your getting a super deal for $50 if it's brand new.

Have any pics?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. rlm

rlm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just a thought, I pick these and similar blankets up all the time for $10 to $12 at thrift shops. I even saw a nice Hudson Bay point blanket at a yard sale for $20 a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how common they are in your area, but maybe worth a look if you're on a budget like myself. Robert

4. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I managed to find a small, lightweight Fairbault wool blanket about a year ago for $2 at a thrift store locally. First and last one I have seen around here. I look for them any time I am in a thrift store. I have asked my wife to keep an eye out at yard sales. I'll have to show her some to help her know what I am looking for. Here in Arkansas they don't seem to be as prevalent, likely due to winters not being severe for the most part. We do good to get 1 decent snowfall per year. Decent being a few inches that seldom hangs around more than a couple of days.

Bobsdock and Red Ochre like this.
  5. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you can stand sea foam green, dusty rose, baby blue, or yellow gold, these can often be had a bit cheaper, as there are tons of them from the 50's.

6. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Next time you see a nice $20 HB...buy it. I'll pay the shipping and give ya $30 for the blanket.

7. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok, you made me have to go to ebay, and I found a big, thick, white, Dutch blanket that I HAD to have! :D

Luzster likes this.
  8. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    I look for wool blankets at garage sales, thrift shops, antique shops and estate sales. Takes time to find them but if you do they are around 2-5 bucks. Most expensive one I bought was a Beaver State Pendleton for 75. I dont regret it but I wont buy another one like that.

9. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Whenever I see a wool blanket at an antique store (which is NOT often), they want way too much for it.

Wool blanket prices are going up across the board. Just look how fast dealers sell out (and how high they price them) when they get surplus military blankets in stock.. which is becoming less and less often. Years ago, they could hardly give them away. I'm glad I got some of mine before the craze hit. ;)

You still can get G.I. OD green wool blankets fairly cheap. They may be a bit rough, but that makes them all the more suitable for draggin' around the woods. I pack around an old, brown, foreign (French, supposedly), COARSE wool blanket that I got years ago when they were readily available. It is rough, with a few holes, but it works well, and I don't worry too much about damaging it or getting it dirty.