1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Kephart Bed Roll

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by JosephDurham, May 6, 2017.

1. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    freebirdfb and actichy like this.
  2. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bit much for a beefed up Military canvas cot and a couple of leather straps. Don't get me wrong, I love Duluth and they make fantastic stuff. But this????? Your could get a custom made cot canvas a bit cheaper. But as always YMMV.

Bob

Winterhorse likes this.
  3. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    I never thought about that Bob. Honestly, I didn't even give the idea of that being a military styled canvas.

Winterhorse likes this.
  4. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    @JosephDurham

Growing up an Army brat, I slept on plenty of them. So that was my first thoughts. I have no affiliation with this company but just found them doing a search for army cot canvas replacement. They offer almost the same thing for $40 - http://hoggans.com/canvas-products/subdetail.asp?id=236A (although the standard cot size is 26" x 75", they will custom make them). The one above is 26" x 84".

Bob

Seacapt., boisdarc, hunter63 and 3 others like this.
  5. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A light weight hammock is lighter, more comfortable and a lot less expensive.

Broke and werewolf won like this.
  6. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lots of milsurp shops and thrift stores have old cots. That's where I got my 2 slumberjack cots. I've thought of breaking one down and just taking the material out. I could run some logs through the loops and have a low hanging forest cot under a lean to.

JosephDurham likes this.
  7. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Spoke with the owner of hogans.com and he gave me a price of 1/4 of the Duluth, 26x84 in canvas, and instead of it having the middle "u" shaped cutout, they are going to be able to do a continuous side strip for the poles or rope. That should work just the same I would think.

hunter63, Bob_Spr and PERRO like this.
  8. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Looked around for a review on the Duluth one and found another forum where the hammock/ bed roll was discussed. Someone found some canvas and did this:

IMG_9988.JPG
    Except for the leather belts, and the zipper for the pillow I'd say that's it, wouldn't you?

Do you think 84x26 is a good size? Or the width should be bigger?

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    mainewoods and hunter63 like this.
  9. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a something ( sheet, blanket, tarp, anything foldable) that you can fold to 26 wide? If so, then you can lay on it and see if it is wide enough. It also depends on if you are a wandering sleeper or if you stay pretty much still.

Bob

10. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Although I always kinda liked the idea of carrying the canvas and adding the poles from the field.
    Sorry Dave C...way too much money for a sewn up piece of canvas...for me.

Actually tried the canvas from a folding cot (frame was broke).......but cot was a "staple onto frame...." version... so when unstapled and sewed up.... made the pole tubes pretty small.
    And was very narrow....
    For a while I was finding the folding army cits for a couple of bucks each at yard sales...prefer the canvas as it is much warmer on the back, than the new nylon cots.
    Still a bunch of cots around....but some have ratty canvas...prone to ripping and dumping you out ....LOL

Can't say if I ever saw a cot top that was sewn in a tube that you could take off(?)
    This make me question how big the tubes are, on the version for that link with the reasonably priced tops.

Was hard to find strong enough poles on site....and you still needed a frame work...as well a stake in the corners to keep it from caving in.
    Hammock version seems to be a better idea....never thought about that.

Any one makes one..... please post.

11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The old guys called that a "stretcher bed"... could used with poles at head and foot as a hammock, or along the sides, as a cot. I experimented some with one made of cotton duck... kinda heavy, but comfortable.

JosephDurham likes this.
  12. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    geneaut likes this.