Kerosene heater

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by stillscout, Oct 31, 2018.

1. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can anyone personally recommend a good Kerosene heater. I'd like to acquire one for emergency heating in the event we have an ice storm this winter. Something in the 30k btu rating.

2. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can recommend Kero-Sun convection heaters. I have 2, a small 10K BTU that will over heat my 12x16 workshop and have to run it on low and a large 23.5K BTU that will heat my 1200sq.ft.basement to about 50*F on high to keep pipes from freezing or about 60*F upstairs in 1200sq.ft. small ranch on high or about 70*F if I close off hall and bedrooms and heat just kitchen and living room if I run out of wood. Another popular make is Kero-Heat. Maine winter figures @ 20-30F. If using in house make sure you have 1 or 2 battery carbon monoxide detectors along with your fire/smoke alarm(s).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  3. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Kero Heat 23,500 for heating the garage while during the winter, will keep garage toasty with the door half open with a car sticking out. Actually have to turn the heater way down if just the back man door is open while working in the garage workshop.

Paid somewhere around $100.00, Maintenance is next to nothing, change out the wick after five or six years of winter use.

4. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ran a kerosun 23.8 (?) when my heat went out a couple years ago. It kept all of the house i used, about 1100 sf plenty warm on low as i could turn it without smoke and smell issues.

When full it would burn about 14 hours before needing to be filled, and five gallons would last about 3 - 4 days.

5. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    45jack, SoreFeet, Gary V and 4 others like this.
  6. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know you could run a heart on kerosene... Learn something new everyday. lmao

In all seriousness, I used one similar to this for my 2 car garage in winter with the door cracked open. It worked quite well

7. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:

I'm really not that ignorant, just reckless with autocorrect.
    You remind me of a friend of mine while gives me down the road all the time for these things.

I really need to proof read.

Gary V, ExAF1N1, central joe and 2 others like this.
  8. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I know, I was just messing around with you my friend. :dblthumb:

Gary V, stillscout and central joe like this.
  9. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know. I wasn't offended. I actually was laughing because it happens so often. The vast majority of my posts get edited as soon as i hit reply. You would think i would check beforehand but it gets me all the time when on my tablet. With a keyboard it's rare.

Feel free to poke any post of mine it happens in. Worst case scenario, I'll blush with Shane again.

Gary V, sea6ear, stillscout and 2 others like this.
  10. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can personally vouch for the Kero Sun young fellar, several times over. joe

SoreFeet, Gary V and stillscout like this.
  11. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    They all look like there made by the same outfit. Probably ride to Home Depot this weekend and see what they got. Still looking though. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Gary V and central joe like this.
  12. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple alladin blue flames

Gary V, central joe and stillscout like this.
  13. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    Not wanting to go vintage

14. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    We used one of these for many many years. Think we still have one kicking around somewhere out in the garage. My Mother wont have them in the house anymore. Her Fire Insurance wont cover anything if ones even found in the house whether its being used or not in the event of a fire. Never had any issues with them when growing up except maybe getting burned on them by accident. We were using these heaters long before they thought to put those safety cages on them. Only real downside is having to lug the kerosene and the smell from that. That can be minimized by taking the stove out of doors to fill it and being very careful not to have any spills on the stove. All that being said never had a Brand preference they all seemed to work and get the job done. With the BTUs you're looking for you might want to consider using 2 stoves.

15. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree with above and I've used a dynaglo with good results it the 23,000 btu model , I think about $129.00 at Walmart. Had mine a few yrs.. there is a difference In Kerosene also ,k1 is what you want , but harder to find around here. You can burn the other but there is a little odor.

16. sea6ear

sea6ear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Can any of you tell me if there are emergency/portable kerosene heaters suitable for indoors that don't require electricity?

If so, what should I be looking at to identify/differentiate them?

17. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    Unless I am misunderstanding your question, portable Kerosene heaters don't require electricity.

Edited

SoreFeet, Gary V, xrayit and 3 others like this.
  18. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:

The only electric I've. Ever seen on a kerosene heater is a couple c or d batteries for lighting them. You can easily light with matches or a bbq lighter, and more reliably than using the built in lighter.
    The style shown in several posts that look like a caged barrel is fine for indoors. I use a transfer pump to fill , New heaters usually come with one. Don't over do it spill because it will stink for awhile.

Gary V, central joe, sea6ear and 2 others like this.
  19. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    Gary V, Seacapt., xrayit and 2 others like this.
  20. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    No electrical cord! ;)

Gary V, central joe and sea6ear like this.
  21. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke

Blog Posts:
    I heat my house with that ACE hardware 23k BTU kero heater shown above. I also have a smaller 10k BTU unit that I use when it's above freezing but still cold enough to require heat (it's one of those little square units like the Japanese use). Most of my lighting is also kerosene, Alladin lamps in particular, so they are almost supplemental heat unto themselves.

That being said, I shut off most of my house in the winter and really only live in 2 rooms. It would be very difficult to heat the entire house with kerosene, at least without paying out the nose.

The thing about kero heaters is, they produce a whole lot of heat in the room they are in, and the adjoining rooms will still be fairly cool. Rather than a single 30k unit for your whole house, you may be happier with two 12-15k units, to spread the heat around a little more evenly.

The smaller unit (RMC-55R7) has a removable tank, whereas the large unit does not. The removable tank is very convenient. I cannot recommend this unit, however, as I had to modify the wick adjustment mechanism to get it to stay up correctly. The ACE (HMC-23K) unit works flawlessly though, other than the electric ignitor went bad. It's easy to light with matches, though.

The guards on the 10k unit don't get in the way. But the guards on the 23k unit were huge and stupid. I took them off and threw them away. Without the guards on, you can put a pan or a tea kettle on the top of the heater and boil water/heat food. It's not enough to really cook with, but it is useful. Not that I am recommending that or anything, so don't sue me if you do it and burn your house down.

Invest in a couple of extra bulb pumps. They go bad eventually, and if you don't have a spare you'll end up with a big mess trying to pour into a funnel. They are also useful for refilling kero lamps and lanterns without making a big mess (though still have to be careful not to overfill, the hose on the bulb pump holds more than you think). The nozzle on them is too large to fit in my Alladins and hurricane lanterns, but if you stick a piece of tubing with the same OD as the ID of the nozzle of the bulb pump, up the nozzle, it fits (I'm using the cylindrical part of a ball point pen, actually).

If you live in a newer home that isn't well ventilated (read: not drafty like my crappy shack), be sure to crack a window to allow for some ventilation, and install CO2 alarms and keep the batteries up to date.

Also, make sure to use UNDYED kerosene if you use a heater with a wick. The dye will clog up the wick. You can get undyed kero that is still untaxed at some gas stations, and I think most oil companies will deliver it if you buy in bulk.

I think kerosene is a nicer way to heat than LPG. Even though it is more expensive per unit volume, it produces more BTU/unit volume, so it about equals out. It's much easier to store, split, and transport. And I use it for my lighting, too. And you don't have to worry about flue fires.

I usually turn mine off while I am out working, let the house get cold, and then light them again when I come back in. If it's really stupid cold, I run an electric space heater while I'm out just to keep the pipes from freezing. But that's usually not an issue unless it's down in the teens. The 10k unit is of a modern design and appears to be extremely safe, but I still don't like to leave it lit when I am out.

22. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
  23. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    That's where I found the source for the one I purchased.

24. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    @Polecat Good information, Thanks for your input!

25. sea6ear

sea6ear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys. when I was looking them up I think I was getting confused by the forced air ones.

26. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great information. I am going to check into one of these heaters. The one that @stillscout ordered says it will run 12 hours on 1.9 gallons if I read the info correctly. That's not too bad to stay warm.

I picked up a fuel oil powered torpedo heater over the summer. It needs electricity, and is 155,000 btu's though so it throws out some heat. :) Not sure what I will use it for, but I got a good deal on it.

Speaking of fuel and heating, in our area, heating fuel as well as off road fuel is higher priced than road fuel for some reason no one I talk to can figure out.... can you use regular road fuel in these? My stepson runs just regular road fuel diesel in his torpedo and it seems to work fine.

Also, there is an additive that you can put in kerosene or fuel oil that gives off a pine like aroma.

Winder if you add some citronella oil to it if it will keep the mosquitoes away?

27. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:

I wouldn't try gas in it, diesel would probably work but would stink and ruin wicks pretty quick. Stick to 1k kerosene and you will get much better service.

There are scents you can add to the fuel but I've never tried them.

28. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I didn't mean car gas. :) I meant on road diesel, rather than off road. :)

29. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's what i thought you meant, but just covering the bases. No insult intended.:dblthumb:

30. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    :18: Best to cover bases. Someone else may read it and thought I was talking car gas. Good catch.

31. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    Fan forced space heaters (Torpedo) are generally seen being used in the construction/building trades to keep the chill off open buildings so the job may continue, warm enough to paint, keep pipes from freezing, bearable work environment, etc. They stink and the fumes will burn your eyes. Turned on and off at intervals as needed. They are quite loud. Residential heaters as being discussed in this thread are a different animal and can be run constantly in occupied dwellings safely so long as they are adjusted (if needed) and running properly. It is always advised they are not to be run during sleeping hours as an carbon monoxide poisoning/fire safety measure. Read the instructions provided with new heaters, educate yourself before using secondary market units. There is a difference in K1 Kerosene and Diesel fuel also. Diesel fuel has chemicals (Sulfur) and possibly more that disclude it from the heating fuel category. There's more to be said on this but I don't have the information to continue. Know what you're doing and be safe for all parties of your household.

32. randyt

randyt Guide

Blog Posts:
    My mother and father owned a small trailer court in southeast Tennesee. Anyhoo most of the folks that rented there never had their gas turned on, they used kerosene heaters instead. In addition to the blue flames I have a few other kerosene heaters that had come from there after we sold the place. Not even sure of the brands. I have enough "stuff" to last a few life times.

Gary V likes this.
  33. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Kerosene space heaters are a wonderful thing. We used to run one all day long at a drafty, cheap modular we used to rent. I keep one as a spare for just in case we lose power during extreme cold spells. We use a kerosene stove as our primary heat source through the winter since electric baseboard just doesn't cut it. But if we lose power during a deep cold storm, the kerosene space heater goes upstairs to keep that area inhabitable. They are a relatively inexpensive backup heat source.

Gary V likes this.
  34. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same here. I've used these for 30 years at least. I used it to heat my 2 story house last winter while it was in the single digits outside. My central heat broke down for 3 weeks. They can crank out the heat when you need it. My house is 3,675 square feet.

35. Gumbi

Gumbi Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I bought a kerosene heater last year, but I am struggling to find a source of kerosene in my area. The only place I can find it is in the hardware stores at $10 a gallon. Can anyone recommend another place to buy kerosene that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? None of the gas stations around the Sioux City area seem to have it.

36. lodge camper

lodge camper Guide

Blog Posts:
    why not try mr. heater propane type? i heat 600ish sq. ft. garage fairly affordably with it and used last weekend to heat 14' tipi. kerosene is just too expensive/dangerous.

37. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Try calling your local Fuel Oil Companies they should be able to direct you. Kerosene is what most mobile home parks use for heat or anyone else that has an outdoor fuel tank. Kerosene doesn't Gel in cold temps like fuel oil does.

38. H3NT3

H3NT3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Something to consider is the black soot large Btu [convention] heaters will emit. Overtime you’ll notice dark spider webs in corners far from that heater. On white painted walls the studs become slightly visible for some reason. Something to consider if heating anything within or attached to your house.

Indoor use, although lot less BTU than you asked about is a radiant unit. Much cleaner burning. Lot less fuel. Removable tank while still running is really neat! I bought my mother this one and highly reccomend.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-55R7-Indoor-Kerosene-Radiant/dp/B002W00EHK

Lots of fond memories as a kid sitting in front of a red glowing cup. Feels good like a fire in a way convection units cant provide.

During summer months they are under half price. Checkout the price I got my mom’s heater for compared to “in season” pricing!

532FBBA3-C492-42D1-91BD-A5B14FB33C07.jpeg

39. H3NT3

H3NT3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It is becoming more difficult to find. There was a time when it was cost effective. Those days are past since the 90’s the way I understand.
    Keep calling around. You’ll eventually find a station that sells kerosene. Few years ago there were three stations here that sold near me. Now my brother and I go 30 miles south to buy.

40. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    So, does this actually throw "heat" out? I have been around some radiant heaters and they say they don't heat the air, but heat objects... and I found that for me at least that they really didn't do the job I wanted.

Looks like a pretty good deal though. :)

41. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    What about a ventless propane heater? They are fairly inexpensive and very efficient. I wouldn't use one for full time heating, but for an emergency they work well. My son heated his house for a year with one. They heat for a LONG time on a 20 pound tank.

stillscout likes this.
  42. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    I heated a small home with one of those years ago and it did a great job. I presently have a free standing gas log unit in the den at the back of the house but it just doesn't move heat to the front of the house and winds up uncomfortable back there. I was thinking of something portable to move around in this big old farmhouse. Good suggestion! Thank you.

gohammergo likes this.
  43. H3NT3

H3NT3 Tracker

Blog Posts:

Well it puts out hot air. And gives you cozy IR beams too. It is a 10,000 btu or less heater. The part that radiates heat is also the part that cleans up the combustion for cleaner exhaust.
    Sometimes called a directional heater too, as opposed to a omnidirectional.

44. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I visited a friend a long time ago who had an electric quartz radiant heater. They said that it heated objects in the room and didn't heat the air like a regular heater would. The heated objects were supposed to heat the air. I slept in front of it on the couch and froze my butt off. :)