Kershaw Cryo vs Cryo II

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Prophet911, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Prophet911

Prophet911 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys. For those of you who are interested in the differences between the Cryo and Cryo II, I thought I'd post this thread. First of all, if you think the Cryo II is just an enlarged version of the Cryo, like I did, it's not. I just got the Cryo II in the mail today and after close inspection and comparison to the original Cryo that I already had, I found that, aside from the obvious difference in size, there have been some changes in the design. First of all, and my main gripe, is the blade stock on the Cryo II is thinner. I can tell just by looking at them side by side that the blade stock is noticeably thinner. The specs, which I will attach, say the Cryo is .12" and the Cryo II is .11". I know that's only less than 1/64" but still, thinner stock on the larger knife? The next difference is, The hollow grind on the Cryo is almost like a flat grind. But the hollow grind is very thin on the Cryo II. The run of jimping on the frame is almost half the length on the Cryo II and the jimping on the blade is larger and more rounded. It is not nearly as aggressive on the Cryo II and to me, not as functional. The swedge on the Cryo runs all the way to the tip, were as on the Cryo II, it only runs partially down the blade. The lockbar stabilizer on the Cryo is flush with the frame which gives it a more "higher end" look, than on the Cryo II. The spot that is milled out on the lockbar to make it less rigid, is milled on the top side on the Cryo. But on the Cryo II, it's milled on the under side. The lanyard tube is flush on the Cryo, but is recessed on the Cryo II. The pocket clip on the Cryo is longer and there is a much steeper angle on the back of the frame. But the back of the frame on the Cryo II is almost straight. And lastly; all the hardware, with the exception of the pocket clip, is larger on the Cryo II. There may be more differences that I have mentioned. Feel free to share.

Cryo II
    [​IMG]

Cryo
    [​IMG]

Cryo II Specs:
    [​IMG]

Cryo Specs:
    [​IMG]

2. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. I have the cryo and really like it for EDC. I like the flipper-type blade opening feature that was stiff at first but became more functional after a bit of use. For the price, it's a great folder.

Steve