Keto... who's with me?

Discussion in 'Food' started by mongo, Jan 14, 2019.

1. mongo

mongo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Greetings all,
    Started Keto diet/life-style just 6 days ago, already seeing benefits. As of right now, not counting calories or even limiting portion size, and I lost 6 pounds in the first 5 days.
    I'm having a little bit of trouble in getting variety in my meals, I just cannot eat bacon and eggs for breakfast every single morning. I eat a lot of pork chops, because they are economical for me. Canned salmon, fresh salmon have also been some of my protein sources. Not adverse to chicken, beef, and venison... just haven't gone there yet.
    I've found www.dietdoctor.com and www.lowcarber.com to be helpful. I have easily a half dozen friends who have done this with lasting success. I'm looking for kindred spirits and maybe even some advice to this newbie. Success stories are always appreciated, of course.

2. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Guttersnipe and Redwalker like this.
  3. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I dropped 40 on keto diet. It was tough in the beginning, but keep reading and exploring your options. When I got rolling I found I was getting used to the plan and did not miss the carbs and sugars as much. Cheese, meats, eggs and the lower carb veggies work for the wife and I. Pork rinds for a snack are carb free, and I was already a fan. Keep an eye on your cholesterol, some folks can have issues going to Fargo the “fat rich” side. You will find a balance you can live with, good luck.

4. Jetjr

Jetjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I lost about 30lbs by doing Intermittent fasting and went pretty much full bore carnivore. Occasionally I'll slip up and eat some junk. I think with the fasting it's not as trivial. It's hard with 4 kids to always stay on track. For variety I just try different ways to cook things I haven't tried before.

5. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:

Works

you will find your natural weight
    you will feel better
    You will amaze your Doctor if you have "numbers" he doesn't like.
    You won't feel hungry.

KETO helps with things like diabetes and other blood chemistry issues. My youngest sister (still in her 50's) has various ills including type II diabetes. She started on KETO and last trip to the Doctor her numbers were so much better that she is off insuline and back to keto / diet regulated type II. helped her kidneys, and some of the other numbers I don't know. Think she dropped about 18 pounds in the first 30 days.

Learn to make Bullet proof coffee to go with it.

My recipe is:
    Coffee, make about a cup but leave a inch or two at the top of the mug
    add a table spoon of butter (Salted, or add a pinch of salt)
    Add a table spoon of coconut oil
    If you want add heavy cream or just milk.

Whisk or blend the thing till smooth and sort of frothy.

Drink it down in the morning

Tons of energy, not hungry at all, once you get used to not adding sugar ya get used to it. You can google it and find fancy stuff to make it, but the fancy oils are just buttter and coconut with higher prices, maybe better filtered. Effect is same.

So yep, KETO = Big thumbs up.

Take a picture of yourself and do something like a walk or something and time it.

Next month take another pic, and do the same timed event and see if ya haven't improved.

If you don't get out in the sun much add vitamins including vitamin D and C. Not part of KETO but for me it seems to keep off colds and ache n pain.

PLUS...

Bacon, is acceptable.

Try some hamburger, or deer burger mixed with a hot sausage (ground not in cases) about 50 50, then wrap it in bacon and fry or bake it up.

Eat with a few sliced maters, onions, mushrooms; and maybe some guacamole.

6. Jetjr

Jetjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like to add a egg to my coffee also. With IF I just wait until my eating window to have bulletproof coffee.

7. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I see no need to change my diet. Whatever I do, it works for me.

Good luck on the diet.

Redwalker likes this.
  8. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where are you getting all of your fats from, just meats? Big macro nutrient percentage differences between Ketogenic diet, vs a low carb diet, paleo, or carnivore diet. Keto is mostly fats not just low carb. If you are keto, olive oil and avocados on your salads really help in the fat department. Don't forget your low carb veggies; broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, brussel sprouts, etc...

Good job either way ... don't get me wrong, i'm not judging. First week should just be all about bucking the carb addiction on us the best way you can. Seems like you are well on your way!

9. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wife has been keto for about 6 months now. She lost 15lbs and feels great, says her mind is sharper. Her cholesterol is a shade high but not in the red at all.

I am not keto but I cut my carbs down to 3 or 4 servings a day and eat no processed sugar. I eat the same amount of food as before but lost 7 lbs and feel much better.

Neither of us have been able to exercise much during this time so we're expecting big results when we start what used to be our normal cardio routines. We're going to add weights, too.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  10. Gizamo

Gizamo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I believe in keto. Did it last year on my own. Lost weight...more energy, felt great.

It's hard to do if your spouse isn't on it. The secret to keto is enjoying making your meals. Hard to do for one person while their mate is not involved.

You will eat better and learn ...

Guttersnipe and Huey like this.
  11. mongo

mongo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks all. I'm surprised my appetite isn't larger. I had a fairly big lunch today... a pork chop, broccoli and zucchini, some ham/turkey/munster cheese roll-ups. Didn't want to eat dinner tonight. Had a cheese stick, just because the rest of the family was eating. Pants are noticeably looser today.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  12. tiny80022

tiny80022 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I lost 70 pounds on keto, then got stupid and went off keto for the holidays ( from Thanksgiving to new year) big mistake, I felt horrible and gained 30 pounds. I'm back on keto now and feel much better.
    Keep calm and keto on brother

mongo likes this.