Keto

Discussion in 'Food' started by tiny80022, Jul 7, 2017.

1. basher1981

basher1981 Adventure is out there!!! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Down 17lbs now and got the wife on board. She started Monday and has lost 2lbs so far. I had one day where I felt like utter crap about 2 wks in. Sleepy, brain fog, fatigued.... I wouldnt say Keto flu but more like a keto cold bc it was only 1 day and it wasnt even that bad. However after that it has been smooth sailing. As I become more fat adapted I am eating less and have began intermittent fasting. I break the fast with Bulletproof Coffee and lunch around 1pm. Mental clarity has gone through the roof. The work I am producing is phenomenal. Not sluggish and sleeping great at night. I have had some pretty lucid terrible dreams but that may be coincidental. Ive been making some tasty food. Below have been my go tos so far.

Egg Cups
    Pre cook bacon 1/2 way
    line muffin tin cups with bacon
    break egg and bake until egg white isnt runny.
    I normally get to hardboiled state and make a bunch on sunday for the week and heat them up at work in the toaster oven.

bacon wrapped steak or chicken thighs with green veggies
    guacamole and freshly cut cucumber as chips
    ground beef cooks with onions and spinach. Then in a bowl and a dollop of sour cream on top. (my version of a burrito bowl)
    prosciutto wrapped mozzarella cheese sticks
    salami
    Propel drink mix
    aldi brand flavored sparkling water i think its called vie (normaly 1 -2 a day)... that frost brand has 2g of sugar in each bottle and I am pounding water like crazy so thats no bueno.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Badwolf42

Badwolf42 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Did Atkins on and off for years, with great success. Never left Phase one, basically keto. Having found a decent "bread" recipe and the fact that you can drink whiskey, has made it something I can do indefinitely.
    What does everyone eat backpacking? I'm a bit bored with the spam and tuna pouches and one can really only eat so much jerky ;-)

Stulanger and Tangotag like this.
  3. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am only a few weeks into keto diet, but i backpack frequently. An easy meal thatbi likr is mountain house freeze dris chicken, hooser farms mac daddy powder, butter or butter powder and dried rice cauliflower. Tastes just like mac n cheese with chicken. Shirataki noodles also work good. I also make alot of soups with dried veggies and meats. Use dehydrated ground beef and rice cauliflower to make a dirty rice type dish. Amog many other things. I buy the #10 cans of freeze dried meat and veggies and just portion it out and make my own meals, i also dehydrate alot on ny own.

4. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    down 24lbs now... things are slowing but I think its bc my carbs a lil high and I am going to start intermittent fasting as well until 2pm

Stulanger and Tangotag like this.
  5. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been wanting to try this out. I could stand to lose 100lbs. I need to do a bit more digging for recipes.

6. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ruled.me has a plethora of awesome recipes

Tangotag and Stulanger like this.
  7. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    Some ideas of what Ive been eating
    a sliced english cucumber and a tub of guacamole for lunch
    Steak with lots of butter melted on it and brussel sprouts with lots of butter (kerrigold is awesome)
    bacon wrapped chicken thighs
    steak salad with oil.vinegar dressing
    salmon wrapped around chunks of cream cheese (like ghetto sushi)
    pork rinds
    bulletproof coffee (butter, MCT oil and coffee put through a blender... it tastes better then it sounds)
    Cold brew coffee and Keto Bomb Creamer

Tangotag, Stulanger and Kinggoat like this.
  8. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Stealing that one for sure!
    As for the salmon wrap ... is that the pre-packed thin stuff i see in at the seafood counter or are you a magician? :4:
    Good list, to add on the pork rinds idea ... I made Pork Rind Nachos the other day to satisfy a serious nacho craving.

Tangotag, Stulanger and Merk3030 like this.
  9. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    I get the thin sliced prepackaged stuff for the store. Its a good quick lunch.... Pork rind nachos sound delicious!!!> My fav pork rinds are the UTZ BBQ ones.

10. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    How about cheese? Is it allowed?

Tangotag likes this.
  11. Turtle Creek

Blog Posts:
    Real cheese, yes. Processed cheese's can have the added sugars. Just check the nutrition facts

Tangotag, Stulanger and Panzer like this.
  12. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    Ive gotten mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto that tastes great as a snack. Also red pepper basted fresh mozzarella is really good too. I eat the cheese in moderation

Tangotag, Stulanger and Panzer like this.
  13. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am jumping in on this. Need to drop 50 lbs.

Tangotag, Stulanger, Djektd and 2 others like this.
  14. basher1981

Blog Posts:
    For me at least its not only helping with my weight, but also my energy levels, my anxiety is better, i feel less stressed, I am sleeping better, I feel more present. and my brain fog has been lifted. Overall it has done wonders for me personally. Ultimately once down to goal health lifestyle Ill go paleo for maintenance.

15. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will be starting on this in a few days.

16. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    A tip for everyone that isn't aware. Crushed pork rinds make for an AWESOME bread crumb replacement. I bread chicken in a egg wash with about 3/4 pork rinds and 1/4 almond flour and fry them up for all kinds of recipes.

17. Turtle Creek

Blog Posts:
    I could not agree more! Same here.

Tangotag likes this.
  18. Turtle Creek

Blog Posts:
    Any thoughts on documenting the 50lb drop journey in your video's? I think you'd do great that way. It will go quickly! No more rice meals in a canteen cup :mad:

Tangotag likes this.
  19. sammy

sammy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Tried keto\paleo mix 4 years ago. Lost 100 lbs weight still gone
    :)

Tangotag and Stulanger like this.
  20. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
  21. Stulanger

Stulanger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Glad I found this thread. I've been doing Keto/intermittent fasting for a few days now. I did a half ass Keto routine for a couple of weeks and I felt like crap. Last week I decided to jump in with both feet so I increased my electrolyte intake to stave off Keto flu, removed all sugar and processed carbs from my diet and began a 16/8 intermittent fasting routine. I haven't weighed myself but my clothes are already fitting looser and my energy level has increased noticeably. I feel more alert even in the morning before coffee and I haven't felt hungry at all. I did an intermittent fasting routine last year without Keto and all I could think of all day long was food. I was tired and didn't feel very much like being active outdoors. It occurred to me that the Keto lifestyle seems to go with an active outdoor lifestyle like kale and bacon grease so I did a search and found this thread. It gives me encouragement and makes me feel like I'm on the right track to read about others' positive experiences with the Keto lifestyle here. I was inspired by the response to this thread and feedback from other groups to create a Facebook group called "Keto Bushcraft" https://www.facebook.com/groups/436364143464323/ for those who want to share and explore the Keto/Paleo/fasting diet in the context of an active outdoor lifestyle. I hope this thread keeps going. As someone new to Keto I will be look to those who have been doing it a while for encouragement and ideas.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  22. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    My wife made an amazing keto desert this past weekend for easter. This peanut butter pie is awesome. If you like pb i would give this a shot. It has a small amount of carbs from a few different thickeners you can use to end up with a better consistency, we used the corn starch but its only a tbs so its still within the keto realm but you do need to plan your day around it because its high calorie and fat in addition to the few carbs.

https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/low-carb-peanut-butter-pie/
    8A2D1E42-C925-4F4C-AFB2-2C7B2EED2137.jpeg

23. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For you guys looking to loose weight, if you are obese it works wonderful. If you are just overweight that's where the grind occurs.
    I'll share my 16 month path taken on Keto and where things have gone since.
    Over the 16 months on Keto:
    -One month I did a max of 900 calories.(A bit of a personal starvation experiment)
    -Very little exercise occurred, I maintained my couch potato lifestyle. The loss was from strict diet control.
    -The lack of exercise and diet restriction had me concerned that maybe I messed up my metabolism.
    -Loosing the weight got me off all prescription medications. Also every few months doing another 14 day routine Prilosec cycle which ended after the first 15 pounds lost.
    -Toward the end of the 16 month run I had to do intermittent fasting to get any losses.

Around 12/15/17 I slacked up on Keto wanting something a little different. Just a little more carbs into the diet jumped me up 15 pounds in that extra water retention. Then as of the first of this year I started started heavily strength training and have continued ever since. My regular strength training now is barbell weighted squat, bench and deadlift to which I am adding in more cardio too. Breakfasts and lunches are still Keto but dinner has more of the higher-glycemic carbs (still no breads, cereals). My wife wanted to work through a bunch of meals out of a Mediterranean cook book too.

The slow climb (seen below) since the first of the year I attribute some to muscular mass increase along with some fat gain. I am strongly considering entering back into full Ketosis to see what happens with that 15 pound carb bloat that rapidly jumped back on. Having those concerns about messing up my metabolism, I'm hoping the last 3 months set things back right for the better. I do feel better than ever, though carrying around less fat would be ideal.
    Where you see bumps up in my daily morning weight was some carb fluctuations from meals. Initially I was doing weekly weight recording then switched to daily which is why the line is smooth starting out.
    Keto.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Stulanger and Turtle Creek like this.
  24. Merk3030

Merk3030 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for sharing your journey. I have been hovering at 294 for the better part of a year and I am convinced that my metabolism has slowed dowe considerably in the past two years. I am contemplating keto but I am so heavily invested in carbs I am afraid to take the plunge. I have staved off medication, but I am probably facing high blood pressure and diabetes it if I don’t do something in the next couple years.

Any tips for mentally preparing? Do you have kids who still eat carbs etc?

I’ll open this up to anyone who does not mind sharing.

Stulanger, Turtle Creek and Tangotag like this.
  25. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely, download MyFitnessPal (I just used the free access) and get a cheap $14 digital postal scale. Document everything you are consuming now. Measure and weight it out. These two things were by far the most important things I did to educate me on my nutrition and caloric intake.

In a way I wished I had taken the time before changing habits to see numerically what I had been doing. What I ultimately learned I had to eat enough calories to maintain a 300 pound body everyday otherwise I would have lost weight. Learning how much carbs/fiber are in things will help out in the long run.

My daughter medically has to limit her fiber content intake and is basically on the anti-Keto diet. Keto can be done but it helps if the majority of the carbs are no longer around.

The first week can be a little difficult. Look at it like withdrawal from alcohol abuse but from carbs and salt. Going Keto will dramatically reduce your carb/sugar and sodium intake. Drinking Propel and chicken or beef broth daily gets one through the "Keto flu" like symptoms over that first week. The weight starts shedding almost right away.

Merk3030 and Turtle Creek like this.
  26. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recommend starting in stages. Most people fail at keto in the first 4-6 weeks or less, especially if you come straight from high carb. It can very much ease the transition to stagger step into it, and a huge +1 for myfitnesspal. By stagger step into it I mean on week 1 reduce your carb intake by about 25%. Week 2 reduce by 50%, Week 3 reduce by 75%, Week 4 reduce to the standard 5% for keto. This will allow your blood sugar to slowly get regulated and less accustomed to huge spikes from carbs. A lot of people even drop to 50% on week 1, and stay there for 2 weeks and then reduce to 25 and then to 5. The numbers don't matter too much, but going from 100 to 5% suddenly can cause "issues" for a lot of people.

The big thing to remember is that keto isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. It can also take 4-8 weeks to get fat adapted once you go full on keto (approx. 70% fat 25% protein 5% carbs--these can vary a little but that's a good baseline to start from). Once you get fat adapted it will get dramatically easier as your body is then accustomed to burning fat instead of sugar/carbs as its primary fuel source.

The nice thing about the keto "diet" is that it is the most delicious diet ever, so you can eat things that taste amazing so you aren't left with the diet woes associated with a lot of other diets. Keto has been very easy for me so far because of this.

Getting a good book to read about it all is also helpful. I found The Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel to be a very useful resource. There are a lot of good books, that is simply the one the wife and I chose to get. Also, there are a lot of websites with recipes to help with finding alternatives for a lot of things, ruled.me is a resource I have used for a lot of recipes and ideas.

As far as kids my son is 6 and I still have some carby things around for him such as cereal, chicken nuggets etc. But for the most part he eats what we eat for meals, but he still has more traditional snacks on occasion(chips, cookies, whatever). He has loved every keto meal we have made so far, so it hasn't been an issue for us.

Stulanger, Tangotag and Merk3030 like this.
  27. Turtle Creek

Blog Posts:
    Impressive chart! Thank you for sharing your journey and stories. It is very inspirational. Congrats on your success!

Stulanger, Merk3030 and Tangotag like this.
  28. Stulanger

Stulanger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was afraid of taking in all those fats at first because dietary fat has been made into the devil by the medical establishment. I was told most of my life that a low fat high carb diet was the only healthy way to eat. It took me becoming a type 2 diabetic with neuropathy to search for other possibilities. I guess you could say I eased into a ketogenic diet but I feel like "half assed" is more accurate because I didn't really know what I was doing I just wanted to lower my blood glucose to ease the neuropathy. I would binge on carbs one day and then eat almost no carbs for a couple days afterwards. That threw my system out of whack and I felt really bad for a couple of weeks. Then I watched a TED presentation by Dr. Peter Attia entitled: "What if we're wrong about diabetes" on YT. The gist of that was basically that the medical establishment thought (and still by and large thinks) that type 2 diabetes is caused by people getting fat and insulin resistant by not following the recommended calorie restricted, low fat/high carb orthodoxy that they've been preaching since Nixon was president; but now what the most recent research is revealing is that people are getting fat because the low fat/high carb calorie restricted diet that has been shoved down our throats for years was actually CAUSING insulin resistance in otherwise healthy people and it was the insulin resistance that made them get fat and eventually diabetic; not the other way around. Interesting! So I started poking around the internet and discovered the Ketogenic diet and Dr. Fung's hormonal theory of weight regulation. Now Dr. Fung's theory differs radically from the orthodoxy in that he proposes that body fat is regulated hormonally rather than calorically. In other words there are hormones that can tell your body to either store fat or burn fat for energy. The old theory of calories in and calories out really falls apart when you consider that the basal metabolic rate of an individual fluctuates depending on the availability of calories and that the hormonal response to the type and proportion of macronutrients we consume dictates weather we store fat or burn it for energy. In other words people on calorie restricted diets tend to gain all the weight back they lost because restricting calories causes your metabolism to slow down an amount roughly equal to the percentage of caloric reduction and unless your body has learned to use its own stored fat as its main source of energy, through fasting and/or keto for instance, you will most certainly regain the weight you lost as soon as you resume a "normal" caloric intake and it will be that much harder to take it off the next time you restrict calories to lose weight. Okay, so this is turning into a book. Suffice it to say that this was the train of thought that gave me the motivation to dedicate myself 100% to a Keto lifestyle. There are different schools of though about how you should go about doing keto and I think the only right way is the way that works for you. I haven't counted calories or macronutrient percentages yet but I might do so sometime down the road if I get stuck in a rut. I'm glad there are guys on here that know how to do that stuff because I don't have the first clue. In the future I plan on doing a lot of reading and listening to the other people who have had success with the keto lifestyle and most importantly listening to what my own body tells me. Good luck on your journey.

Merk3030 and Tangotag like this.