Kf-backbone trail area-overnight trip aug. 21-22, 2015

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by BC_Slider, Aug 6, 2015.

1. BC_Slider

BC_Slider Scout

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Moving discussion to a new thread(good idea Forestree) from http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/154320-Interest-in-a-short-backpacking-trip-July-25-26/page2 in order to accurately reflect current discussion :).

Basically, I'm headed up to the Backbone trail area of the KF to get away, hopefully meet some of the great folks here, and test/use some new tools(and hammock) I received for Father's day. Y'all are more than welcome to come on out.

I'm also looking at learning/practicing some of my Bushclass lessons to knock a few out, but that'll be secondary to simply relaxing(and staying hydrated! ;) ).

Noted from other thread by Forestree:
    I've only been there once so far for what turned into a day hike, so I'm open to suggestions as to which trailhead would be best to start from.

See ya in the dirt!

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have to work on the 21st, so I'll probably not make it.

I like the Northern side of that trail more than the Southern... if you're going in/out the same way, go North. If you're doing a loop, it probably doesn't matter where you start. For getting water and camping on the mid-point ridge though, it's best to come in from the Southern/Caroline Dorman Trailhead side.

If you camp on that ridge, you can get water at the bridge over Cypress Bayou and only have to carry it about a 1/4 mile to the site. If it rains, you'll have plenty of treatable, clear water. If it doesn't, it'll be brown, shallow, and you'll be scooping it up with a pie pan or pot lid. Beautiful area except in deepest summer.

3. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm still in :)

I was out there yesterday and bayou cypre is still flowing at the moment....not sure how it'll be in a couple weeks but this is what it looked like

003.jpg

I'm good with any of the options as far as trailheads/routes, but camping somewhere relatively close to the bayou would be favorable IMO. There's some nice areas at the bayou cypre ford in the bottom and some cool sites a half mile further on top of the ridge. Here's a couple pics of those areas.

At the bayou cypre ford

007.jpg

On top of the ridge

023.jpg

As far as routes go, the bayou cypre ford is roughly the half way point on the backbone trail. So we could shuttle a vehicle to the ending trailhead and hike the whole trail or could do an out and back. I'm good with whatever plan and just throwing out some options. Looking forward to it!

4. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Wow... that's not a bad flow for this time of year... definitely drinkable...

5. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Probably gonna have to relocate this trip to another area as a fire started in the wilderness today.....all trails are now closed and for the foreseeable future

004 (2).jpg

6. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am late to the party but I am up for a trip in the near future. I just need some advance notice to try and schedule off. Most of the state has a burn ban in place right now so your looking at cold meals or mre heaters. The again as hot as it has been I doubt the meals will be cold! I have a new warbonnet and super fly on the way to try out soon having gotten rid of all my hennessys. Most of the trips I have made as of late have been very short due to the heat and also located near rivers or lakes with water sources dwindling .

7. BC_Slider

BC_Slider Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow, appreciate the info and hope it dies out quickly! Will plan and post another thread in the near future for another trip once it's a little cooler :).

8. MidSouthOutdoors

MidSouthOutdoors Tracker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    What a bummer Nature isn't cooperating with us very well...hopefully it will be sometime after August I will be leaving shortly on the 29th to take AOT Training in Norfolk Virginia but will be back in Sept. though I am use to the heat cooler is always better in my book.

9. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Stay safe, Forestree...

I have to work the 30th, I'm gone to NY 2-16 SEP, and bow season starts on the 19th... I'm "out" until I get a deer or the season ends.

10. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Forestree, I will be out of country the first week of Nov and am a very avid hunter but have the month of Dec off for vac so I will have some time available. I am buying a canoe in the near future and will be doing some trips on the State water trails this fall and winter so anyone is welcome to join.

11. BC_Slider

BC_Slider Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hope y'all are getting some of this rain and that it's helping with the fire situation :).

12. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Looks like it's starting to wind down now though not sure exactly when the wilderness will be opened up again.

13. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    We did not get enough to wet a lizards throat in West Monroe. I was in Shreveport yesterday and it fell hard for 5 minutes than sun again.

14. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if anyone is still looking in on this thread, but anyone ready to shoot for a new date?

The wilderness is still closed and not sure when they'll open it back up.....but there's plenty of other options :) Weather cooled down for a bit here (lower to mid 90's) but was back up to 97 and humid today. I briefly saw a light at the end of the heat tunnel :) I'm still good to go regardless of the temps......I'm a really good shade finder and water drinker.

15. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    The first week of Nov is free for me and I am going somewhere.

I will have a few deer in the freezer and can pick the traps up for a week to give the varmints a break. I was looking at part of the buffalo river trail.

16. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    This trip ever happened? If not it could be fun to do still.

17. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    I'm still in for a trip on the backbone trail, all someone has to do is make the date :D Did a solo trip out there about a month ago and had a blast. Was planning to meet up with Midsouthoutdoors this weekend for a day hike, but haven't heard back from him.

18. MidSouthOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the slow response been hitting the deer and ducks hard over the weekend but im all in for the Kisatchie day hike this weekend.

19. MidSouthOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    Thinking about hiking a leg of the Kisatchie Backbone Trail or at least the Long Leaf Vista Trail this weekend if the weather holds out which according to the news it should be ideal...