Kidney stones

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by will62, May 22, 2017.

1. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I ended up in the Emergency Room for a kidney stone last night. Are there any good home remedies for preventing having them again?

2. BrandonJ

BrandonJ Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Depends what the stone is made out of. I avoid Carmel coloring at all costs, which is hard since its in literally everything. Keep mega-hydrated all the time and have some flowmax on standby if you ever get them again. Flowmax is the best thing ever for kidney stones, wish they had it years ago. I get about ~6 a year. I think I've got so much scar tissue / stretch on my ureter now, the pain isn't as sharp as when I was a young buck.

3. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    imo, staying hydrated and laying off beer is good for preventative. good luck.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Guttersnipe and NWPrimate like this.
  4. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Could be caffien, citris, calcium.. drink water lol

Gumbi, Guttersnipe and NWPrimate like this.
  5. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Drink water, did I mention water? Lots of water, cut back on tea, coffee and beer. Takes some getting used to, but it can be done. Also pee when you have to, or as soon as possible, don't wait. joe

Mikewood, Guttersnipe and NWPrimate like this.
  6. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    There are no good studies I could find in prevention. But, when one starts to move - max hydration is the best you can do. Lemon/line water, light beer, whatever ...

I assume it passed. I had one get stuck that they eventually had to go get ...

7. BrandonJ

Blog Posts:
  8. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Being a nurse all I can recommend is water. Water, water, water. I'm guessing it'd be wise to drink water and other beverages low in minerals and calcium. Drinking "acidic" beverages as a home remedy won't do anything because the body has its own ph balance it maintains. Some people are susceptible and minimizing beverages that promote diuresis such as alcohol and caffeine can help. I'd also recommend seeing a nephrologist or urologist for other treatments. But, not much in the way of home remedies that actually work. Unfortunately once that jagged crystalline rock has formed it's too late.

9. TRYKER

TRYKER Guide

Blog Posts:
    i got 1 in the kidney they tried to zap last year butt they missed, there gonna check again in sept. it doesn't bother me.

YET

10. instructorzero

instructorzero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    And it could be oxalates, tannins, certain foods, etc. So, any advice except drink lots of water throughout the day to keep things flowing is pretty useless unless you capture a stone and have it analyzed. Putting a shot of lemon juice or a teaspoon of vinegar in your water (acid) can help.

Cranberry juice is commonly touted as a preventative, but it is an oxalate and contributes to oxalate stones.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  11. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lots of water.

Watch caffeine and alcohol consumption.

There are certain herbs and juices that can help with an active condition and/or for prevention (no particular order):

1. Juniper Berry.
    2. Gravel Root.
    3. Marshmallow Root.
    4. Carrot & Cucumber Juice.
    5. Celery & Parsley Juice.
    6. Aloe Vera.
    7. Hydrangea Root.
    8. Uva Ursi.
    9. Nettle Leaf.
    10. Goldenrod.
    11. Chanca Piedra.
    12. Magnesium (for prevention).

Some people use a combination of lemon and olive oil. Some also use Apple Cider Vinegar. I don't know much about these.

Do your due diligence and check for contra-indications/interactions. Most of these will make you urinate, so stay hydrated.

Here is a pre-made formula that has a lot of these things in it:

https://www.amazon.com/Christophers...-1&keywords=male+urinary+tract+system+formula

Here is some more information:

http://www.herballegacy.com/Kidney_Ailments.html

Guttersnipe, NWPrimate and will62 like this.
  12. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have had one for sure, all kinds of fun, it was a long ordeal to say the least, water,water,water ,.....an herbalist suggested black cherry juice, but I don't know, I like it so I do drink it, but like I said, I don't know.....water. Water. Water was what my gp said after all was said and done, don't think I have had another but there have been a few twinges a few times

13. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had cut my caffeine and alcohol consumption a couple of years ago. Going to see the urologist in 2 weeks and see what he says

Guttersnipe, NWPrimate and Harper like this.
  14. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you haven't passed it yet, you might want to try the "jump and bump" method. This basically involves drinking a ton of water and then taking little hops to jolt the stone downward. When it was explained to me, the analogy used was to picture an onion in a pair of pantyhose. If you were to jolt it, it would slide down a little bit at a time.

The pressure from your kidneys during this jolting action should push it down into your bladder faster. You'll look like an idiot doing it, but you can even just get up on your toes and then drop down to your heels quickly to accomplish the same thing. I was skeptical of it, but went from three days of horrible pain, to relief in just a couple of hours. Without getting too crude, I was surprised to find out that the journey from the kidney to the bladder is a lot worse than the final exit.

As for prevention, water is the key. I suffered through them every couple of years for a decade, but since I started drinking more water, they haven't been back. Good luck!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    BBizy, Gumbi, Guttersnipe and 3 others like this.
  15. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Never heard of that but last kidney stone was so much (n0t) fun I would be more than happy to super-hydrate and jump around some.

If you get a kidney stone once, you're at risk for more.

Drink lots of water. My doc said something like the clearer the drink the better and vodka doesn't count.

At least half of what you drink should be clear water. Drink a glass of water with every meal and a few times in between. If you wake up at night for any reason, drink a glass of water.

Make sure you're getting potassium in your diet... that helps too.

Best of luck. This stuff sure ain't fun.

16. forgeblast

forgeblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had one three years ago, and when they did the scan they saw a "bunch". The last scan I went to I had zero. I shrunk them away.
    I cut drinking out. I will have one beer and then stick with water.
    I cut out coffee. I have water with lemon juice in the morning (dont over do it, you can strip the enamel from your teeth).
    I also cut out a lot of salt. I use a pinch of salt instead of a shake. I portion my chips. I still take my stone meds with me where ever i go, but
    I am feeling so much better. The things I cut out I do not even miss. I still remember the pain of drinking a sip of coffee and feeling it all the way down my kidney while I was on the floor in pain.
    Its not fun, but you can make it better. Just takes time and stubbornness.

Guttersnipe and Harper like this.
  17. 3855singleshot

3855singleshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had stones since 1992. I have 5 passed in one week. I drink one beer a night and if I start feeling the pinch in the kidney area, I drink cranberry juice and 7up.

18. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Phew! I was afraid it was a GAW ;-)

that_guy likes this.
  19. SamD

SamD Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me I found that 100% pure Cranberry juice helps. Like others have said SUPER-HYDRATE, after passing the stone(s) go back to a healthier level of hydration, have your doctor check you blood for mineral balance levels and adjust for the higher hydration levels you will want to maintain from now on.

Mikewood, Guttersnipe and BrandonJ like this.
  20. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is an article by the Director of the herbalist school which I studied with regarding kidney stones:

http://herballegacy.com/Governing Stones.pdf

If you are prone to kidney stones, it is probably a good idea to get these things now--before you need them.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  21. Bartonceek

Bartonceek Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I didn't read all the responses but I had a history of kidney stones and when I gave up sweet tea, the frequency in which I had them dropped dramatically.

Pinelogcreek and Guttersnipe like this.
  22. rkcolt45

rkcolt45 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Drink in ounces half your body weight. Example, if you weigh 200lbs drink around 100 ounces of water a day....more if you exercise. A good rule of thumb is: if your urine is clear, you're good to go. Also, add citric to your diet. I add lime to my water occasionally.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  23. coachp

coachp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    After my first one, the urologist had me pee in a big jug that looked like a gas can for 24 hours. The analysis indicated a magnesium deficiency as part of the problem. He ordered magnesium supplements and I complied with fidelity for about a year before slacking off. Kidney stone #2 required a ureteroscopy. Needless to say, a cutting tool shoved up your urethra is a powerful motivator, and I haven’t missed many doses of magnesium since.
    As for the suggestions to avoid sweet tea, Mountain Dew, etc., my urologist believed that water was water. . . Proper hydration was the biggest issue and because I sweat like a beast, that is a battle for me. . .

Harper, Guttersnipe and Mikewood like this.
  24. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Back in the seventies, I worked in a hospital lab while I went to Seminary. I've seen big, strong men crying with the pain and waiting for an X-ray. They wouldn't give anything for pain until they were sure of the cause. I knew then that I never wanted one. You guys that have....I salute you.

BBizy and Guttersnipe like this.
  25. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been there done that several times. Here they ask you to pee in a paint strainer and collect the stone if you pass it. As previously stated there are different causes for different people. Mine were related to tea, which I drank half a gallon a day up until that point. After learning that ten years ago I quit tea cold turkey and no more stones. I only drink a glass of tea with a good steak or meal on the town once a month. Don’t ignore them they can cause serious problems if you do.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  26. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It has been over a year since I had my issue with a kidney stone, I reduced my coffee intake to 2 cups per day and drink about 80 ounces of water per day on average. So far no more stones.

I have seen the "jump and bump" method in practice recently it seems to work. A neighbor has his father who is prone to stones living with them, his method is to do jumping jacks in a set of 20 followed by 12 ounces of water and repeat. This is a seventy year old man and he claims he can pass one pretty fast.

Guttersnipe and BrandonJ like this.
  27. BrandonJ

Blog Posts:
    I'm pressing up on September right now (11 stones), I've only had one this year!

28. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Guide

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    I had a kidney stone when I lived out in the sticks (countryside) late 1980's & was prescribed a bottle of Gordon's London Dry Gin by my then Doctor. I though he was joking, my granny agreed with him, as it was an age old remedy for such likes, & so I was prescribed via the pharmacist, a bottle of gin. I did pass the stone, & the gin did ease the pain whilst passing urine. I can recall some of the medicinal properties of gin from its ingredients, but I thought this link may explain such in more detail.. https://thoughtcatalog.com/natalie-morin/2014/08/11-perfectly-good-reasons-to-drink-more-gin/ :)
    Regards
    David

Guttersnipe, will62 and arleigh like this.
  29. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good to know

DavidJAFO and Guttersnipe like this.