Kisatchie Hills Wilderness Area Campout, 23/24 January 2016.

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Seeker, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, it's finally cooled down again (after that weird 70s/80s heatwave last week) and deer season is winding down (gun ends the 10th, bow on the 15th, in my area.) We've still got small game til the end of February, but it's camping time again!

On that note, Forestree and I are planning to spend a weekend in the Kisatchie Hills Wilderness Area, 23-24 Jan 2016. We will meet at the Caroline Dorman/Backbone Trail parking lot at 10am on Saturday, 23 Jan 16, and go in from there.

All and sundry are invited, even you lot from Texas (seriously, you are good folks, and we'd love to have you, having imposed on your gatherings for a few years now).

If you bring a gun, don't drink. If you bring a dog, it needs to behave, not bark all night, and be leashed if not voice trained. Not everyone loves dogs (I like them, but only with hot sauce). Wheeled carts are not allowed, in keeping with the area's legal "wilderness" designation. Children should also be well behaved and/or leashed.

Forestree will have to comment on the legality of hunting and how it can/can't be done... I know for deer it's bow only there, but not sure about small game with a firearm or not.

Speaking of children (and by association, old men, neither of whom seem to like walking very far), this won't be too difficult a trip. Forestree and I will probably both be spending Friday night at the Caroline Dorman/Backbone Trail parking lot. Some of you who went a few years ago may remember it. There is a vault toilet there, but little else aside from flat spots for tents and trees for hammocks. There is water about a mile down the road at the Longleaf Vista overlook center. I find it easier to just bring my own. In the morning, you can either take the Backbone Trail into the wilderness, or shorten your hike by about 1/2 mile by driving down to the Turpentine Trailhead and going in from there (my personal plan). The Turpentine eventually joins the Backbone and regardless of route, we will spend Saturday night in a flat bottomland on the Bayou Cypre (Cypress Bayou). There is water there, though it will need to be treated.

Grid locations for those so inclined:
    Dorman/Backbone Trailhead parking lot: 31.477844, -93.018650, or MGRS 15R VQ 98228-82561
    Turpentine Trailhead: 31.472832, -93.004677, or MGRS 15R VQ 99555-82005
    Camp location, roughly: 31.493935, -92.984906 or MGRS 15R WQ 01433-84344

Directions from I-49: Get off at exit 119 onto Hwy 119. Go 5 miles south on 119 and turn R on Parish Road 830. Follow it for 4 miles and make a left on Parish Road 329. The parking lot is visible as soon as you turn (or if you miss the turn), and is on the right/West side of the road. You will have passed the Longleaf Vista overlook and the Turpentine Trailhead on the way in.

If you come in off LA 117 from either Leesville or Provencal/Natchitoches, it's 13.2 miles from the Forest Service work center down Parish Road 830 to the trailhead.

Forestree and I each have a "silent friend" who is an invisible member of the forum, and as far as I know, both of them are coming... so that's 4 of us.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  3. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    May have to bring the .22 then. Do you need that special permit for small game in the Hills, or is that just for deer season? I forget.

Couple other notes on gear fondling:

I will bring a BCUSA poncho, if anyone's interested in seeing one. Would also be interested in swapping it and $20 for a "large", if you have a large and wanted the regular.

I'm also interested in seeing custom knives... AS, Sargent, SPL, MP, and Griffin are some that I'm interested in. even if you don't carry 'em all the way out camping, I'd be interested in seeing them in the parking lot... have a hard time buying what I've not seen (there's an AS Explorer up right now that's killing me...) Would love to be able to do a side by side of a Classic, Mountaineer, Guide, and Explorer. I already know the Huntsman is too wide in the blade for my liking.

4. Gatordrag

Gatordrag Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stinks, I leave to go offshore on the 21st

5. Forestree

Blog Posts:
  6. Seeker

Blog Posts:
  7. Forestree

Blog Posts:
  8. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    And we'll be camping out underneath the "#2" (but not where the arrow's pointing. underneath the red box it's in, on the map.)

9. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in

10. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Heck yeah RMAR, looking forward to hanging out again :)

11. saustin1967

saustin1967 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm in, may be there Friday night around dark or a little before.

12. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Cool! DBX got hold of me too, and he'll probably be there as well (and knowing him, he'll show up Thursday to get the coffee going!)

13. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Man, this sounds fun. I'm on call that weekend wish I could go. Next year if you guys want to do this about the same time I will make sure my schedules clear, looking forward to pics.
    Joe

14. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Hey Joe, we are doing a hike in the Davy Crockett NF, first weekend in February. I will post up some details Monday, in the Texas forum. We'll be with the group from TXBC.

15. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Cool, I will keep an eye out.

16. BC_Slider

BC_Slider Scout

Blog Posts:
    PM reply sent Forestree :)

As luck would have it, I get in from offshore on the 20th, and really really really hope to make this! Will update to confirm as soon as I know. I do know I'm in desperate need of some dirt time and would love to meet y'all.

OH btw, Happy New Year!!!

17. MidSouthOutdoors

MidSouthOutdoors Tracker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I was down there this weekend at the Wilderness Trail walked it out for about 5 hours.Got my exercise for sure yesterday.Will try to make it back out for sure. Backbone Turpetine Trail.jpg

18. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to the trip and it'll be great to meet some new folks as well as hanging with the LA and TX brethren I've met before. Gonna try and do a group meal on Friday night car camp for those that show up that evening :)

There are several hike-in options to where we'll be camping Saturday (near the backbone trail crossing on bayou cypre)....2.5 miles via the turpentine trail is the shortest or more miles on the backbone trail. Also the option of hiking the entire backbone trail at 7.5 mi (with car shuttle). I'm good for whatever and regardless of folks' route choices, we will make a plan to all meet up in the bayou cypre bottom near the trail crossing to camp together. It'll be an adventure and good times!

19. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Social coordinator says that weekend is totally booked with livestock show. Oh well. ..

20. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    but... (((sigh)))

oh well... you only raise kids once. We'll miss your presence (and mama kat's cooking!)

21. Blu

Blu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Figures on the timing.... Taking the Cub Scout Pack out that weekend. I guess I will be mostly teaching, with a little learning.

22. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Finally within the 10-day forecast window... and it's looking good!!! lows in the 40s, highs in the 60s, clear and no rain in the forecast... can't ask for much better than that. Getting excited.

edit: 12 hours later, and it's now a 40% chance of rain Friday... crazy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  23. MidSouthOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    Seems like they will change the weather outlook a 100 times on extended forecasts...Saying now party cloudy and down to a 20% chance for Friday im sure this will change though.If there's going to be rain anywhere in the State it will be in Kisatchie LA... :4:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  24. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, but it continues to look better and better... nice and cold at night too! 5 more days!

25. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    getting close

26. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Yup... and the forecast is still nice and clear... full moon, with that weird planetary alignment thing we should be able to see too... Made up a venison kabob for one of the meals the other day... will be packing up some food and gear tonight and tomorrow so I don't have to do it all Thursday.

27. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Damn 29 and 31 degrees for lows? I almost died in San Saba with warmer lows.

28. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think I'm going with a tent vs a hammock. They weigh almost the same and the tent will be warmer.

The only good thing about the cold is there should be no damn ticks.

Edit: I also took off Friday so I should be at the trailhead that AM.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  29. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I'm showing 31 for lows... It'll be fine if you have a decent bag, especially in a tent... just gonna suck for about 5 minutes in the morning (actually won't suck at all if I can get someone else to start the fire!)

As it's not going to rain and it will be that cold (with a little wind), I'm not going to hang. I'm trying to decide between a BCUSA poncho, an 8x10 sil tarp, my Whelen shelter, and my Whelen lean-to... they are roughly 1lb, 20oz, 2lbs, and 3lbs, respectively...

I love the simplicity of a poncho hootch, but it's a little cool for a sideless lean-to. The 8x10 makes that easy. The Whelen shelter makes a fire possible without burning holes in a silnylon tarp, and the Whelen Lean-to makes it possible to stand up while under shelter, as well as making a really nice gathering place out of the wind...

I have a feeling I will be bringing one or the other Whelen... looked back on my trip report from last march (my first time out with the Whelen shelter cloth) and my thoughts were that for only a pound extra, the additional headroom and space were worth it if it was raining...

Decisions, decisions.

30. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    That reminds me... Show and tell. Sometimes people see pics of stuff other folks have used in a trip report and want to see it. I'm almost positive I'm bringing my BCUSA poncho, if anyone wants to see what one looks like and how well it's built. If there's anything you know I have, and you'd like me to bring it, PM me, and even if I'm not taking it along, I'll bring it in the car and you can see it at the trailhead.

I'm always interested in custom knives, old brass stuff, stoves, and candle lanterns.

31. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an MP Kephart and a couple of Jeff White/Robert Jones Ranchers if want to see them. Thats about as custom as my gear gets.

Can anyone tell me if I can concealed carry in my truck WITHOUT a concealed carry license? Just wanted to know if I should unload the truck of guns before coming.

32. Blu

Blu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    yes, in Louisiana you car is considered an extension of your home.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/louisiana/

Transportation and Storage of Firearms in Privately Owned Motor Vehicles
    Lawfully possessed firearms may be transported or stored in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in any parking lot, parking garage, or other designated parking area. Employers or business entities may adopt policies specifying that locked firearms on property under their control be hidden from plain view or within a locked case or container within the vehicle. This does not apply to property where the possession of firearm is prohibited under state or federal law, or in vehicles owned or leased by a public or private employer used by an employee in the course of his employment, or on property where access to the parking area is restricted or limited to the general public by a fence, gate, signage or other means if the employer or business entity provides facilities for the temporary storage of unloaded firearms or an alternative parking area reasonably close to the main parking area in which employees and other persons may store firearms within their vehicles.

33. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Randy, think I am still going to unload my truck of the arsenal I carry most of the time, just for the shear fact that we are not going to be located in the proximity of the vehicles for at least a day. I will carry my normal CCW, but not much more, probably.

34. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    I worried about this and will prob unload the truck as well.

35. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Not sure when I'll be able to get off work on Friday, but planning on being there before dark (hopefully much earlier). I talked to Onthefence and he'll be showing up Saturday morning at the trailhead. Who all else is planning on camping Friday night?

Also, if anyone needs/wants a contact number for directions, questions or whatever else then just PM me and I'll give you my cell #. The phone service is good in the wilderness area....at least with AT&T.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  36. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Gensdebois and I are meeting after I get off work (3.30, I hope) and he'll follow me in. Probably arrive around 4.30.

So that brings the counts to three, including you.

37. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was going to be there Friday morning but if everyone is getting there in the evening then I may sleep in a bit and aim for the afternoon. Either way I'm there on Friday.

The is there a specific area at the trailhead that I should look to secure if I get there first? Or just any open spot?

38. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    I will be there as will DBX, same time frame 3-4 ish

39. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    The camp site is right beside the trailhead parking area just down the gravel road on the right. If the site is taken then give me a call and we'll go to plan B just up the road.....definitely want to make sure that everyone coming has a contact so we don't all end up solo camping on Friday night :4:

40. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    So what's that then... Six confirmed Friday arrivals? Did I leave anyone out?

Forestree
    Seeker
    Gensdebois
    RMAR
    saustin1967
    DBX

41. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Wow, forecast is showing cold and blustery Friday and Saturday nights.

42. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    I really don't like the looks of that 27 and 29 for lows.

43. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Where are you getting your forecast? Wherever it is, put in "Provencal, Louisiana". For Friday, I'm showing Northerly winds at 20mph tapering down to about 10 overnight and to 5mph by Saturday morning, with low of 30. High Saturday will be 54, with winds remaining 5mph. Low Sunday morning will be 30 again, with a Sunday high of 63, winds shifting to the south and picking back up to 10mph. Pretty nice, if you ask me.

See the link below, put Provencal in the search window, enter, and then click on "Graph", not "table", when you scroll down. Very detailed forecasts there.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USLA0114

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  44. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/0806:13:US

45. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Weather Channel
    for Alexandria

Either way I am good, see you tomorrow.

46. Seeker

Blog Posts:
  47. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    I'm planning on smoking some chicken quarters tomorrow night and have some store bought tater salad and baked beans. Can't promise it'll be edible, but there should be plenty enough for those that have said they're showing up. Gonna bring the chainsaw so hopefully we'll be able to have a nice fire tomorrow night without having to forage for wood :D

48. MidSouthOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    I am going to try and make it out tomorrow also if the good Lord is willing so looking forward to meeting all of you guys.Hope everyone has a safe trip out...

49. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Well heck, if everyone going on the hike is gonna show up on Friday then maybe we can scratch that 10 AM Saturday meetup time and hit the trail earlier that morning. I can tell Onthefence to get his butt out there earlier so we can get moving

50. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Just got word from DBX, he's out, got roped into working

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.