Kisatchie Hills Wilderness Area trip invite, 10/11 DEC 16

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Seeker, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, it's time for another trip here in LA, now that "winter" is here. The bugs are mostly gone, most of us have shot a deer, it's raining again (so there's water to drink in the streams), humidity is down, and the daytime temps are reasonable.

Forestree and I are going to do an overnighter 10/11 Dec 2016 up in the Kisatchie Hills Wilderness area. For those who don't know, it's about 15 miles SSE of Natchitoches, off the Derry exit (119) of I-49. We plan to meet up around 0930 at the north trailhead of the Backbone Trail (near Parish Road 830 and Montrose Rd/FR 339, about 100 yards up Montrose). Anyone who'd like to go is invited, just be aware this is not an easy trip.

We will walk the Backbone until it intersects the High Ridge Trail, then follow it out almost to its end. It would be about 3.25 miles to a "normal" campsite (with a stream that sometimes has water in it, maybe, occasionally) but we'd like to head a bit off trail (about an additional 1/2 mile) to a backcountry site. It's not hard, per se, as there are game trails to follow in places, but nothing in the way of a maintained trail. Mostly, we'll be following ridgelines, which tend to be more open than the lower areas, though some are scrubby.

There is no water near that site for most of the year, and due to the drought we've experienced in the last few months, I doubt there is anything now. I did find a seep nearby a couple years back, but the pigs have turned it into a wallow. I have carried 6-8 quarts of water in the past, which should be adequate, if heavy. (I normally stash a quart near the 2.5 mile mark for recovery on the way out, which saves me some trouble.)

On Sunday, I'd like to push further in to explore some hilltops and ravines I've not visited before, see if I can find some water sources for future use, have lunch "out", and then return to the trailhead by mid-late afternoon. Not sure how much of that I'll/we'll get done, but the area is beautiful and worth a trip on its own.

If temps hold "normal", hi/lo will be 63 and 41, but record extremes are in the 20s/30s and up into the 70s... It is also windy on those hilltops (about the only place you can camp. Froze my arse off last time I was there trying to get by with just a poncho.)

So here's what it looks like. The blue arrows are where I'd like to camp and explore, and the white arrows are where there might be water.

KHWA, HR Trail.jpg

Here are some shots of a trip I did there last March.

The map: I'm showing 2 previous forays into the area. On that trip, I finally connected the dots.

KHWA map.png

Camp.
    IMG_8421.JPG

2. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm in! It's a short winter here and not much time to enjoy it.....looking forward to it!

3. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Won't be able to make this one, although I'd like to (been camping all week at the army's expense). Any chance of doing another one Jan-Feb?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

4. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    In the process of planning a GTG on the weekend of Jan 21 as well....we all need to get together on that and get something planned....maybe a winter paddle out to Coon point?

Edit to add: There's also a trip the TX guys are putting on the first weekend in February. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to make it yet, but I'd like to. Here's the link Death March II - 4C Trail - Davy Crockett NF

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. MidSouthOutdoors

MidSouthOutdoors Tracker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Im in also so beware...it will be the coldest day and night of the year then!!!

Seeker, Nonc-Tobe and Forestree like this.
  6. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Sorry you can't make it OMRebel. But I go up a couple times every year, mostly in Jan, Feb, and March... so maybe you and I (and maybe the kids) can go sometime.

7. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    @MidSouthOutdoors Glad you're gonna plan on it! It wouldn't be bushcraft if you didn't get the campfire going with your hand drill skills though....no pressure there buddy :D

8. MidSouthOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    Haha yeah been working on that...cough cough Only one time since the last gathering though!

Seeker, Nonc-Tobe and Forestree like this.
  9. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey just curious, what is everyone gonna bring to sleep in or on? Hammocks,tarps,etc? Man this sucks I've been wanting to do a "hump in" trip. But gotta keep the lights on at the home base

10. MountainMan706

MountainMan706 Scout

Blog Posts:
    yeah I'd love to come to one about that time.... (if you do another group meetup).

11. MidSouthOutdoors

Blog Posts:
    Well don't know what the others are going to use this trip but last time we all brought tarps ,tents and hammocks. I will probably try a tarp this time.

Forestree and Nonc-Tobe like this.
  12. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    I'll probably go with a 8x10 tarp, neo air pad and an old 20 degree sleeping bag....might pack a bivy bag as well.

Maybe you'll be in for the next trip....mans gotta make that money though. Hopefully you'll make a lot and feed us all ribeyes at the next meet :D

13. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    wait hold on,let me do the math on this one.If the penalty for missing a meet is ribeyes,I might come out better skipping work..lol:33:

14. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That sounds great. I'll have to navigate the 3BCT training calendar, info trickles down pretty slow. Hopefully I'll be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Seeker likes this.
  15. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I'm probably going to do exactly this (but with two light down bags. I have no metabolism anymore). If the drought continues, I might go with just my poncho (and two wings I'm working on... got the design done, just need to sew it up. Probably a good project for a rainy Sunday afternoon this weekend.)

Regardless, I plan on keeping it as light as possible... water's heavy.

Forestree and Nonc-Tobe like this.
  16. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Getting close boys... so far it looks like just me, Forestree, and MidSouthOutdoors... any other brave souls?

Forecast (4 days out now) is high of 53* on Saturday, down to 42* Saturday night, a 50% chance of overnight rain, steadily increasing to 65% by the end of Sunday, and a high Sunday of 66*. Sounds just about perfect, except I'd like the rain chance to go up overnight so we would be guaranteed some fresh drinking water...

SO looking forward to this.

Forestree and BC_Slider like this.