Knappers - what do you look for in raw materials?

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by ozarkhunter, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I mentioned on another thread that I have access to farm land that sits within a few miles of the Spiro Mounds archaeological site near Sprio, OK. If you Google "Spiro Mounds" and do an image search, you will see some of the amazing ceremonial artifacts they found there when they excavated in the 1930's. Here is one picture of some of the points they found:
    [​IMG]

ANYWAY... One of the fields that I have been spending some time in (hunting feral hogs) is laden with chert rocks of all shapes and sizes. I would be glad to pick some up if anyone is interested, but don't have any idea what size/shape of pieces folks would want. Many of the pieces that have not been broken are brown on the outside. I have found some white pieces and a few red pieces. Some of these may be jasper... just always lumped them together generically as "chert" over the years.
    Here are a couple of chunks I picked up this week...
    20170811_074250.jpg

The piece at the top is larger than a softball. Knife is 6 1/4" long overall for size comparison. I would be glad to round some up if anyone is interested. I just need to know what to look for. I can fill small or medium flat rate USPS boxes for just the cost of shipping them. I'm already out there a couple of times per week and actually enjoy scavenging through the rocks.

OrienM, svh, PERRO and 4 others like this.
  2. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll take a small box of whatever. I'm about to start knapping, but I have no idea what I'm looking for so I figure I will just practice and get some trial and error going.

MrFixIt and ozarkhunter like this.
  3. ozarkhunter

Blog Posts:
    It will be next week before I am out in that field again (supposed to rain here next 4 days), but will pick some up to fill a small flat rate box. Seems like it is just under $7 to ship. I will PM you once I get some together.

MrFixIt, Skeptiksks and DavidJAFO like this.
  4. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    hello,
    @ozarkhunter I'm tempted.. Awesome blade BTW I can't avert my eyes from it. :D
    Regards
    David

weltondl, ozarkhunter and MrFixIt like this.
  5. Skeptiksks

Skeptiksks Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks much my friend.

6. ozarkhunter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. It was a cheap ebay purchase of a blade blank. I couldn't pass it up for under $20, being damascus with filework. I have no idea what the steel combination is other than carbon and nickel. A friend shaped and mounted the scales and made a thick leather sheath for it. It occasionally rides in my pocket instead of a folder.

7. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those are nice size pieces! Have you broken any to see how they will knap? Id be interested if they are usable. How would you like to be paid.

8. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would also be interested in a Med Box . " IF " you figure out whats usable Knapping material vs Plain old Rock.:6:

I'm completely " New " at this, & couldn't tell the difference myself .:22:

Thanks in advance !

9. ozarkhunter

Blog Posts:
    I haven't broken any of the pieces. I don't have the time or patience to undertake another hobby right now. I will try to pick up some pieces this week. I noticed a lot of material last week that was already broken, or had a broken surface on at least one side. Those pieces were up to 1 1/2" thick and some up to 6"-8" long. I'm glad to pick up chunks as I am in the area. I don't plan to do any knapping to see how it works. Once I have some available, I can contact those who have expressed interest or post it on the trade blanket. I would be glad to send a paypal invoice for shipping. I don't want to make money off of the deal, I just wanted to be able to supply some folks with materials they might not have available in their area. In order to cover the fee PayPal will charge me for using their services, the cost per box would be as follows:

Small Flat Rate Box (8 5/8"x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8") $8.25
    Medium Flat Rate Box (11" x 8 1/2" x 5 1/2") $14.75

This reflects about $1.25 above the actual cost of shipping.

PERRO, Plainsman and Skeptiksks like this.
  10. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you are still doing this id happily take a Medium Flat Rate box of your tastiest rocks please. Be glad to give you what information you require.

11. ozarkhunter

Blog Posts:
    I hope to be out tomorrow in the field. Rains yesterday and this AM have made the roads pretty mushy.

Medicine maker likes this.
  12. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
  13. halo2

halo2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As for what to look for, I'd suggest looking for pieces without deep lines or fractures in them. Basically smooth surfaces should be better raw material.

Hoof and OrienM like this.
  14. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1 on that. Another way to check quality is to gently knock on the cobble with another stone; a flawed or fractured piece will make a brief, dull clunking sound, but an un-cracked piece will have a bell-like ring.

halo2, weltondl and Hoof like this.