Knife choices for a cache?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by quietmike, Oct 30, 2017.

1. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Will be putting together some caches. Most will be small, maybe based on Greyone's two liter bottle cache.

Looking at knife choices to go in a couple. I always try to have a knife on me, along with other EDC items, but you never know what kind of situation you might be in.

Something capable, small, and relatively cheap since it could be discovered and stolen.

Thinking a very small fixed blade, such as a Candiru, but in stainless, would be a natural pick, but open to suggestions.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mora Companion in stainless. Can't think of a better choice for the cost.

3. gene stoner

gene stoner Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 and also maby add a Victorinox Farmer. It's corrosion resistance and the extra tools can be a big plus.

4. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I second the mora or old hickory along with a little ceramic sharpener.

Consider as a backup a folding box cutter and a few blades. Or a snap knife. Sometimes you just don’t want to dull your knife and having disposable blades is a big help.

5. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    +1. Maybe a small stainless pocket knife also. joe

quietmike likes this.
  6. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For a cache: (I have a Candiru and it is quite small, for me, larger would be better)
    Mora Companion in stainless, I would also add a folding Opinel #12 Stainless saw, some waxed jute twine and some bankline.
    In additional I would coat the Mora and Opinel in petroleum jelly for extra water protection.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  7. Crooked Penguin

Crooked Penguin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Since you said "small knife" and are considering a Candiru I'm assuming a Mora 125 year LE Classic Original will still fit your budget?

If so that's my suggestion. Stainless (14C28N Sandvic), small, very usable (I EDC one) and comes with a leather sheath.

If you're considering the Opinel saw as someone above me suggested I'd say a Silky F180 is a far better option. I loved it when I first got it but I hate my Opinel saw with a passion these days since it became more and more difficult to open. The Silky is longer so more usable and the handle is flatter which makes it less noticeable in pants pockets. The red one version with the larger teeth cuts like a mini chain-saw to boot.

quietmike likes this.
  8. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cold Steel Finn bear is a good one.

cek, Kreger, Primordial and 2 others like this.
  9. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Stainless Mora or CS Finbear are both good choices.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    cek, Kreger, Primordial and 2 others like this.
  10. CharClothed

CharClothed Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mora seems like the only option.

blind & lost and mainewoods like this.
  11. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Lots of good suggestions here, but I would also add the Cold Steel Kudu. I'll admit up front that I'm not a big fan of Cold Steel but some of their budget knives are really good for the price. The Kudo is their version of the African Ocapi knife. It's a big folder with a very strong lock. It's kind of funky and non-ergonomic but it would be hard to break one. The edge is pretty good out of the box and the steel is ok for the price.

The big draw is that you can often get them for $5 or less! The Amazon link I put above is current as of 11/28/17 and the price is $4.79! There is virtually nothing else out there that's decent yet under five bucks shipped! I have maybe ten of these knives stashed in various spots. They're pretty usable yet so dirt cheap that if they get lost I really don't care much.

Kreger, PMSteve and Primordial like this.
  12. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is Cosmoline comparable to petroleum jelly for storage and rust prevention?

13. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would have to vote for inexpensive Moras, as well. I admire fine knives, but I am a klutz, and prefer to keep many lessor ones around me. Sometimes I can lose a <some thing> for a year or more. Sometimes I find it.

Kreger likes this.
  14. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Wahoo Killer Multi Purpose.....These are $2.99....when you catch a sale...$1.99
    http://www.budk.com/Wahoo-Killer-Knife-1038
    I buy them by the dozen and have them stashed everywhere.
    They are a cheap version of a Mora...

Best knife?...Nope.
    Will it cut?...Yup
    Will you break it?...Maybe.
    Can you baton with it?...Maybe once...
    Is it cheap enough and still do basic cutting job for an emergency?....Yup
    Will it rust?...Don't know, but is SS?
    What if I break it?....Don't care...plenty laying around
    Would I care if it was stolen, or I forget where it was?......Nope
    Like a BIC knife.

Save your good knives for wearing and using...

15. Desert_bushcraft

Desert_bushcraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would go with a Mora companion or the Bear Grylls para cord knife. I know Bear Grylls line of Gerber knives gets a bad rap, but the paracord knife is good quality and won't break the bank. Schrade also makes great budget knives.

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mora was my first thought, or maybe a SAK Tinker or similarly small/simple SAK.

hunter63 and blind & lost like this.
  17. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    Thses were my first thought as well.....

But I still think about the SAK that has been in the PSK bag for ....for a lot of years.....LOL

There is a fine line between here...do you want relativity expensive, 'best, most reliable, ...option that would wprk well....but may see again
    OR
    A cheap toss away, that may work for a while....but may not hold up...long term...
    That you don't care about.

DW was good at replacing cooking stuff...pots, pans utensils.....and putting everything "In the camper/cook box... or To the cabin..."

Problem is that reason she replaced them was they were either worn out, broken and generally a PITA at home.....
    What made her think think would be "cured" or work better in a camper/kitchen box or cabin?

This seems like a similar scenario......So it up to you.
    As I would not "plan on" using these for any length of time....I tend to go with the low end stuff.

Kreger likes this.
  18. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Those Wahoo Killer knives really are amazing for $2!

Swarvegorilla likes this.
  19. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was active on a emergency survival website your knife had to be on steroids like a BK2. I ruffled the website owner's feathers promoting Moras. This was when the birch handled jobs in redpaint WERE most peoples mental template of the brand. I believe it was OLD JIMBO on another forum who cut one open and panicked over the terrible construction while Mors Kochanski was driving the same knife into a tree and standing on it. I bought a half dozen and scattered them among my kits and a few friends. I did clean up the edge and squared the spine first. I MAY lay claim to inspiring the mini knives now used in Altoid tins when I cut most of the tang off a tiny scandi blade from RAGWEEDFORGE. People were horrified until I pointed out Oetzi's knife construction and challenged them to use one VS those Xacto and razorblades everyone packed. The late Chris Janowski quipped they were only good for committing suicide when you realized you should have carried a knife to begin with. You could spend even LESS money today on a OLD HICKORY paring knife if money is really tight. I reknived on a severe budget last month. It was a Mora ROBUST after watching the Dutch duo on YT and a few others. I was grumbling at the HORRIFIC inflation rate spending all of $16 delivered VS the $6 apiece for the birch.

20. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think Cosmolene was developed to be a rust-preventative storage coating. The shop I work for had a machine ship from Europe practically dipped in the stuff. But there was no rust anywhere even after getting hung up at customs for several additional weeks.

It doesn't just wipe away with a dry cloth, though, we ended up using brake parts cleaner to remove it.

TWill likes this.
  21. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yet another vote for Mora, I've been meaning to buy a few more backups lately. I have a Cold Steel Roach Belly, and while there is plenty to like about it I wouldn't buy a second one when a Mora is the same price. I assume the Finn Bear would be fairly comparable quality wise?

For me the big investment in a Mora is that I invariably spend more on a kydex sheath then I did on the knife itself, I could probably talk myself out of it for cache purposes but it would still be tempting.

22. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was given a Kudu as a gift. At first I didn't care for it. It looked really cheap and flimsy and the design just didn't ring my bell, so I tossed it back in my knife bag and there it sat for over two years.

One day I picked it up again to really look at it. All of the attributes above still apply, but it really is a unique knife. The blade is thin and sharp as hell out of the box and it locks up very tightly. It's kind of awkward to open and close because it takes two hands to hold the handle and pull the ring to open and close the blade, but that's actually a safety feature. It's not going to pop open accidently.

The price as you pointed out is under $5, so as far as being affordable, this is the one. Just don't discount it out of hand because of first impressions. It's like meeting a somewhat homely girl, only to learn that she can cook gourmet meals, is a great housekeeper and incidently is a brain surgeon. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

Steve

Kreger and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  23. gene stoner

gene stoner Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've seen lots of threads over the years about caching but have never seen what I believe by experience to be the best metal protection I've ever used. I learned this back in the 90's when the gun grabbers where in full attack.

Take axle Grease and mix in a container with Coleman white gas till it's thin enough to apply with a paint brush and so it well fill in all the small cracks in what you're coating.(white gas has no additives that can damage metal) When doing a gun plug the chamber with a rag dipped in white gas and grease and plug the chamber and pour down the barrel.

After the mix is applied let what you've coated sit in a warm place ( remember this mix is flammable) to evaporate the gas out of the grease leaving grease in every nook and cranny.

I would advise you pack lighter fluid and rages in your cache to clean the grease off with.

I've used this and it works

24. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone who's stripped cosmolene from military equipment will recoil at having to clean even a MORA in the field. If it's stainless a light coat of petroleum is more than enough.

25. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I received a cold steel Kudu knife and tossed it in the drawer until,
    I was gifted an actual Okapi knife from a member here and it is an awesome knife. Very sharp high carbon steel blade
    I have carried the original for a couple days now and really like the design. I was thinking I would throw the knockoff in the jeep as a disposable folder.
    For a 5 dollar folder they are a good bargain.
    They become much easier to close after carrying for a while.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  26. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    IMO ,I can make do with what ever I can find.
    Point is the knife is a gift when it is put in a cashe' , whether it is found by some one else, or you manage to find it for your self .
    I would not put any thing better than a Schrade or some other inexpensive knife .
    If it is frail you know how to handle it , like glass.
    Some one else finding it my not care what it's worth and treat it with that much respect , no matter how much you've invested and the name brand.
    I've been into knives for years, and never heard of a Mora till I came to this site.

Kreger likes this.
  27. Cascadian

Cascadian Scout

Blog Posts:
    Two Mora Companions -- stainless. Cheap insurance.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Midwest.Bushlore likes this.