Knife laws

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Vovan, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Vovan

Vovan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,
    What kind of laws/regulations do we have in OH that govern what kind of knives can be carried around on the person legally? I know all about guns but apparently nothing about blade regulations.
    Thanks in advance!

The Woodsrunner likes this.
  2. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can carry any knife, but you can not carry a concealed knife if it is used, to be used, or is adapted to be used as a weapon.

There is an appeals court case where a carpet layer was carrying a concealed knife, and the police charged him with carrying a concealed weapon. The appeals court admonished the police because the carpet later repeatedly told the police he used the knife for laying carpet. Witnesses testified he used the knife for carpet. The court reinforced the fact that all knives are not weapons.

With that said, some knives are likely presumed to be weapons e.g. a boot knife or dagger.

Red Wing and The Woodsrunner like this.
  3. Vovan

Vovan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, hlydon. I see a lot of guys carrying folding knives in their pockets - so they are obviously concealed (some of them have sizable blades). Is there a certain blade length after which they might be considered as weapon?

The Woodsrunner and Red Wing like this.
  4. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    A lot is going to be at he discretion of the officer and the nature of the encounter. Did you pull it in a physical altercation or did he find it on a pat own? I've been pulled over and asked to show my belly and back to make sure I wasn't someone who'd laid their bike down and left.

I try to stay around 3 inches or lower so it's perceived more as a tool. One sided blade.

5. Vovan

Vovan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, looks like a lot depends on interpretation...
    What if the knife is in a backpack. Does that considered to be "concealed"?

6. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the municipality. There is no state level preemption for knives like there is for firearms. What is legal on one side of the street could very well be illegal on the other side of the street.

Note - If you have a CHL it does NOT cover knives.

7. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Correct.

Ohio does not have a law regarding length of the blade. City’s can make their own knife laws. Carrying a knife in a backpack is likely carrying a concealed knife. But is it a weapon?

Open carry is likely the safest approach.

I don’t know of any city ordinances that restrict knife carry. Maybe some of the larger city’s have ordinances.

How many times have you received a knife in the mail or UPS, etc.? Each one of those knives was concealed.

I am personally not concerned about carrying a knife because all of mine are tools.

8. Vovan

Vovan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks like Columbus might have a 3'' length limit but I couldn't confirm it anywhere official.

9. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know accessibility to the knife makes a difference. If I kept my A1 next to my driver seat, yes. If it's with my kayak junk in the trunk, prob not.

They'll probably interpret it as boot knife or one hid on your person aside from the usual spots when it's a used tool

10. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was a commercial roofer in a past life and we Jimmy rig all kinds of useful tools for our needs including weighs to cut heavy rubber and insulation. Knives in belt sheaths and dangers. Some 6 inch modded hacksaw blades in my tool belt or sometimes strapped right onto my belt if it's just a probe or inspect. Context will matter most.

11. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't mean to necro-post but I just wanted to ask a question on this subject. Do any of you ever see Ohio changing their knife laws? Has there ever been a petition to maybe get a more concrete knife law in Ohio? It just seems like such a gray area on something that could be serious.

I mean, if I open carry a dangler or a necker, will I get stopped. Could there be any ramifications from this?

12. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    www.KnifeRights.org would be a good place to start if you want to lend a hand getting things changed/improved. They have been very active in getting a number of state level laws changed/improved.

As for getting stopped... See the above threads. Ohio is a patchwork of knife laws. Just have to know what is in effect for where you are.

Rarrapuda likes this.
  13. Strngwlkr

Strngwlkr Scout

Blog Posts:
    As I cannot speak for the whole I will speak for the part...!
    As a former LEO- it was really up to the person I was speaking with. I had contact with true bikers (not wannabes) who had sheath knives on their side and had pleasant conversations about their bike as I was righting a ticket for 30over. I had contacts with business types who had a pen knife in their pocket who were lucky I did not throw the book at them!
    A LOT depends on how YOU handle yourself.

As a primary thought here...how ‘bout you check with, oh I don’t know...maybe your local PD? Most cops want NOTHING to do with causing an issue. They want to keep all things quite and go home at the end of the shift.

Me personally, without pulling the “I’m an ex-cop” line (which coincidentally will cause more problems than not), have had contact with LEOs with everything from my Habilis Bush tool and a 9mm on my side to my TB1 carried scout fashion and had no problems. Funny thing was, once the contact was concluded while carrying the Habilis...the officer asked to see the blade and asked a TON of questions about it. Made a convert I think that day.

Best of luck, hope this helps someone

14. Rarrapuda

Blog Posts:
    I have contacted my local PD on the matter in the past and have received 3 different answers regarding my cities knife laws.

15. Strngwlkr

Strngwlkr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve NO DOUBT! I once had a professor who said, “you can show 4 cardiologist 1 ECG and get 5 different answers!”

A trick I’ve always used in one form or another is when asking someone a question that the answer is somewhat critical...about the respondents 3rd word I will stop them, pull out a piece of paper and a pen and say, “Pardon me, I want to write this down for to insure accuracy”. You’ll be surprised how many people will then VERY carefully choose their words and syntax!

16. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    Could always just look up the relevant code. :D

Gruntinhusaybah and Rarrapuda like this.
  17. Rarrapuda

Blog Posts:
    So every city I drive into I have to pull over and look up the local code. That is ridiculous in so many ways. Lol

18. WY_Not

Blog Posts:
    That is government.

19. Redbearcat7

Redbearcat7 Scout

Blog Posts:
  20. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Fallbrook Forge Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Read the law.

Then if you’re not clear or have questions or just want clarification, I would try to reach out to the DA and see if they can in muddy the waters.
    They’ve dealt with cases involving knives and will know what is and is not allowed in your area.

jswi2374 likes this.
  21. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Careful what you wish for! NJ has knife laws and they suck!

Rarrapuda likes this.
  22. Rarrapuda

Blog Posts:
    Lol, I would just like some clarity and not leave it up to chance.

wingnuts likes this.
  23. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While clarity would be great some laws are intentionally vague leaving too much to the discretion of LEOs.
    That can also (with a good attorney) work in our favor! NJ just lumps anything not specified as AOW!
    Can’t wait to get out of here!

Rarrapuda likes this.