Knife models and options

Discussion in 'Siembida Custom Knives' started by Blackhawk45hunter, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Blackhawk45hunter

Blackhawk45hunter Pronounced sim-bee-duh Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Ok guys, before I get into my currently offered models I'd like to start by covering additional options and costs.

Each knife model is listed with a base price, this price includes a single color micarta or g10 handle. I can do much more than just those two but different materials will affect the total cost of your knife.
    Base price assumes a2 steel but 154cm stainless is an option for 15% increase in price (based of base model price)

1/4” blade steel adds an additional 10% over base cost, or modified base cost in the event of opting for 154cm.

Liners will add an additional $20 to the cost of your knife and sandwich spacers will add an additional $10.
    This is assuming fiber or g10 liners and materials such as glow liners will cost slightly more depending on availability of materials.

I require advance payment upon start of the knife build, this makes it easier for me to get your knife done as soon as possible. That said, knifemaking is not my full time job and my day job requires frequent mandatory overtime which can slow things down. I will get your knife done as timely as I can but like with all handmade things, expect it to take some time. From payment to finished product my typical turnaround time is around 6 weeks but that can be more and can be less depending on how busy the shop is, and how demanding my day job is.

Now, with that out of the way, on to my currently offered models:

Model #1 Kestrel

[​IMG]

The kestrel is a general purpose, EDC bushcraft blade.
    It was designed to be small enough to ride on your hip without jabbing you in the ribs or snag on things while still having a long enough handle to get good leverage for feather sticks. The blade is long enough to baton reasonable sized pieces of wood to get a fire going and short enough that it won't get the town into a panic if you carry it into the store on the way out to the woods.

I named it the Kestrel because it's a small knife with big attitude, just as kestrels have a lot of attitude while being much smaller that their larger cousins such as Hawks and Eagles.

I have gone on numerous outings with mine as my only blade and have not once felt handicapped by using this as my primary knife.

Available in 1/8" and 5/32" thickness.
    Blade length: 3 1/4"
    Overall length: 7 3/4"
    Pretty much anything goes as far as pins or bolts.
    Price: $165 before shipping costs

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    08H3, Cberg1975, MichaelBear and 3 others like this.
  2. Blackhawk45hunter

Blog Posts:
    Model 4 Wood Thrush

[​IMG]

The Wood Thrush design was inspired by a coworker of mine. He was the recipient of one of the first Kestrels. He said the only thing he didn't like about it was that it wasn't very good for skinning, that it was easy for his hand to slide up onto the blade when the handle was wet with blood and fat.
    Well, I went to the drawing board determined to come up with something more hunter oriented while still keeping the blade robust enough to baton kindling, notch fireboards, and make feathersticks.

Basically, I wanted a bushcraft knife that would be great working with wood but comfortable and safe for skinning and gutting. The result was the Wood Thrush.

Well, enough yammering on about its history and on to the specs.

Available in 1/8" - 3/16" thicknesses
    Half height up to full height convex grind available
    3 7/8" blade
    4 3/8" handle
    Base price: $175 + shipping
    Handle materials other than micarta/G10 and liners add to total cost.

I make the handle fairly robust, with 3/8" thick scales and taper it down to 1/4" on each side from the middle to the pommel. This makes it feel very nimble in the hand for skinning and caping but the thick front gives great leverage when making feathersticks and notching.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  3. Blackhawk45hunter

Blog Posts:
    Model 7 Harrier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5" blade
    4 1/2" handle
    1/8" - 3/16" thickness
    Base price of $220, micarta or g10 handle - spacers or other handle materials change price

The Harrier was designed to be a well-rounded all purpose bushcraft and field knife.
    It's 5" blade is just the right length to baton moderate size pieces of wood down while still nimble enough to carve and notch with without inducing wrist fatigue.

The 4 1/2" handle is one of the most comfortable handles I've designed. The unusual backward taper profile is very comfortable and puts the meat of the handle right where you need it during woodwork - right up front. This keeps the handle from wearing into your palm while making feathersticks and shavings.

Model 8 Peregrine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]image

The Peregrine is a knife I designed to be more of a dedicated neck knife. Where the Kestrel is an in-between size, the Peregrine is small enough to wear around your neck and completely forget it's there.
    The handle is modeled after the Harrier and the blade is modeled after the Wood Thrush. This gives the Peregrine a nimble, yet stout feel in the hand. An ample amount of belly in the blade makes it about perfect for dressing small game and even skinning bigger game like deer and the thick (for its size) handle allows enough leverage to make small feathersticks and to do other light bushcraft chores.

Overall length: 6 1/8"
    Blade length: 2 1/2"
    Available thickness: 1/8"-3/16"
    Base price: $155

(Priced with basic micarta or G10 scales. Liners, or more expensive materials will affect the final price. Shipping is an additional $15)

08H3, Cberg1975, MichaelBear and 4 others like this.
  4. Blackhawk45hunter

Blog Posts:
    Model 10 Finch PSK

[​IMG]

Blade length: 1 1/2"
    Overall length: 4 1/16"
    Thickness: 3/32" and 1/8"

Cost: $75 including shipping

The Finch is a knife I designed as a miniature, PSK version of the Peregrine. It is slightly too long to fit into a Altoids tin, but not everyone (myself included) uses a altoids tin for their PSK. It fits into a ASL survival tin/pouch and makes an excellent stow away knife for a canteen pouch, haversack or cargo pocket.

The edge geometry is nearly identical to the peregrine differing only in edge thickness (slightly thinner).
    It's handle shape lends itself well to use as a mini fixed blade but it really shines with an improvised split-stick handle (see IA Woodsman's video on PSK knives).

This knife is offered in A2 (3/32" and 1/8") as well as 154cm stainless (1/8" only).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    08H3, Cberg1975, MichaelBear and 3 others like this.
  5. Blackhawk45hunter

Blog Posts:
    Model 12 Vulture

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be adding it to the lineup and make it an orderable option.
    It's based on the Wood Thrush but with a sheepsfoot style blade. This knife was designed for Bushwolf here on BCUSA. He wanted a sheepsfoot style blade to carry as his main belt knife on backpacking trails, into town, at work, etc. He wanted something that was dependable, durable and non-threatening looking. Many folks are intimidated by clip points and swedges on knives as they can look 'tactical' and threatening. This knife was designed for the through hiker whose needs don't typically include heavy wood processing but mostly revolve around food prep, cutting cordage and general use.

3/32", 1/8", 5/32" and 3/16" A2 or 154cm (3/32" not available at the moment for 154cm)
    Blade length: 3 3/4"
    Overall length: 8"
    Base model price: $175 plus shipping and any upgrade options.

Model 13 Sage Grouse Bowie

[​IMG]

this is my tribute to the brave men and women pioneers that braved the wild wilderness of unexplored America back in the age of Jim Bridger, Hugh Glass and Jeddediah Strong Smith.

My signature tadpole handle profile combined with a very tall blade profile make this knife comfortable, ergonomic and well suited for hard use, butchering, wood processing, and skinning. The swedge is optional and is unsharpened.

Offered in 1/8", 5/32", 3/16" and 1/4" (1/4" with extra cost)
    10 1/8" long
    5 1/2" blade length
    Base model price: $240 + shipping and any upgrade options

Hope you guys like it,
    Evan S.

08H3, Cberg1975, MichaelBear and 7 others like this.
  6. Blackhawk45hunter

Blog Posts:
    Hybrid model: H-WSK

[​IMG]

This is my take on the WSK/tracker style blade. A hybrid of the increasingly popular tracker blade shape paired with my signature tadpole harrier handle shape.

The quarter round is generously sized to aid in dragging long curls for fire prep and the healthy belly adds mass for light chopping.
    I don’t view the WSK as a viable tool for heavy chopping and as a result decided to utilize my tadpole handle shape for its benefits in reducing hand fatigue while also making it much more nimble in the hand.

9 1/2” overall length
    5” blade
    2 1/4” from ricasso to end of quarter round
    2 3/4” from quarter round to tip

Base price is $280 plus upgrades and shipping

Whiskey Jack

[​IMG]

Length: 8 5/16”
    Blade length: 3 9/16”
    Base price: $200, plus upgrades and shipping

The whiskey jack was conceived as a skinning knife. It’s extremely nimble in the hand and the curves make it feel like an extension of your hand, something that’s nice when breaking down a large game animal where skinning can be a long endeavor.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  7. Blackhawk45hunter

Blog Posts:
    Meadow Lark

[​IMG]

Base price: $165, plus shipping and and extras