Knife project.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by BladeScout, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:49 PM.

1. BladeScout

BladeScout Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wanted a small fixed blade knife to either work as a back-up for a larger knife when in the woods and/or as a stand-alone knife on walks and short trips.

This to be an inexpensive fixed blade to be dropped in a pocket. A simple no-nonsense knife in a no-nonsense sheath.
    I looked at the Brusletto 'Fjord.' Its a nifty looking knife from the Norwegian company but it must have won some design award or something (it looks it) because it cost more than I wanted to pay for it. Even the Fällkniven WM1 was cheaper. Its about the same size and shape of the knife I had in mind. The WM1 was at one time being marketed as a ladies knife. Its a very nice size knife for what I had in mind.

I then stumbled over a humble Brusletto Fjord blank. It has a three inch/7.5cm blade.
    It doesnt say anything else than Brusletto and country of origin on the blade. No steel type is stated but if its anything like the 'designer' Fjord knife, its Sandvik 12C27 at RC 56-58.
    Id have preferred 1095 or something like that but I have a larger fixed blade Brusletto, which have rendered excellent service for many years, so I went ahead and bought the blank.

[​IMG]

I then made a rough outline of how I wanted the knife to look .....

[​IMG]

....... and used my Leatherman Raptor to cut a bunch of burlap strips (app 60 in number).

[​IMG]

Last step today was to epoxy the burlap stack with the knife blank poking out from the middle and clamp the burlap between two lengths of steel and wait.

Now its a waiting game. More in a day or two. When ever I get around to shaping and sanding the burlap handle.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    JeffG, Jim L., jerome and 10 others like this.
  2. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to your progress pics

3. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Interesting method. I'm dying to know how it turns out.

4. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts: